Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the new stone layer symbols?

Yay!
- 37 (75.5%)
Nay!
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Old version)  (Read 198940 times)

Bakawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nice set, however, rough alunite walls are nearly indistinguishable from an alunite floor, making it very hard to use on my current fortress :(

My bad, thought i had done that, all better now!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:55:00 pm by Bakawolf »
English is not dead, It lives. It changes. Your dictionary is a fine listing of the past, but it is not the future.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nice set, however, rough alunite walls are nearly indistinguishable from an alunite floor, making it very hard to use on my current fortress :(
DF v0.31.01 saves a copy of the raws in each new games at world generation.
If you are using a game from a world generated before you installed the patch, you will need to manually copy the patch in that game also.
Copy the raws from /DF_31_01/raw/ to  /DF_31_01/data/save/SAVEDGAMENAME/raw/

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The miner and the medic show up, but the others are just colors associated with their jobs.
You patched over a previous installation using the patching module, but an example tileset already comes with the game.
That miner is from the example unit set. That unit set conflicts with the "dwarves" unit set from my pack and prevents them from ever being displayed.
Erase the files named "graphics_example.txt" from your base directory and your savegames. You should find them in /raw/graphics/
I'm going to add a empty "graphics_example.txt" to my next patch to prevent that problem.

I was still having this problem after copying the files to my saves. I was coming back here to complain about it after having put up with it for a while. Deleting graphics_example.txt fixed it for me though! Yay. Thanks for the awesome work
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.3 for DF 2010 (now with Medics)
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 02:14:47 am »

*Updated* v1.3
Added medics to the Unit Graphic Pack.

New medical dwarves screenshot:

Surgeon. Diagnoser. Bone Setter. Suturer. (all zoomed x4)

LOL, I would be mislead into thinking that I've created those a long time ago myself :) Great work! Perhaps it is high time I come out from lurking now that new version of dwarffortress is released :)

I stopped releasing tilesets at that point since I was waiting for new version, also, I did not know if 16x16 is being phased out or not.  The problem with working on 16x16 (as most other actual tile makers will know) is that we have to work on that size exact.  At this small 16x16 space, every pixel counts.  I.e. it cannot be shrunk (which will destroy the tile), nor stretched smaller at 2x (looks ugly. better use something designed for 24 or 32). Also not viable to work on 32x32 then shrunk down coz it would also destroy the tile at 16x16. For me, I have to think carefully for each pixel most of the time, deciding what color to use for it (no joke).  Which is why I questioned whether to continue release or not or wait to see (nobody likes to see own efforts go down the drain...)  If 16x16 tiles will still be around (and used by myself), may continue to work on 16x16 tiles. Also, the manner which I work tends to limit release speed: I tile creatures usually in the order they show up in my game, or when I feel like it (sorry, but it is really a serve-myself-first basis ;) ), or when a tile page (for a terrain type) is almost complete, then I will be motivated to tile the remaining creatures i haven't seen before releasing them on my user page in dwarf wiki.  Which also means I DO have some tiles which was never released... now here's a friendly proposal:

Perhaps we could work something out such that you provide the collection management while people like me just supply the art?  If so, we could start some collection thread so that people like me can just post the individual tile gfx and you can stick those in that you like and update the collection version (meta info in the txt file).  It will also allow me to put up tiles more often I think.

anyway, here's some of the remaining tiles from "incomplete" tile pages which I never "officially released". (Note: some are already clipped by bane from my sample screen shots or somewhere else I think)

creatures (iirc) : african elephant (tried a modded game with domestic elephants coz I tot 80-pile bone bolts would be cool.  don't ask...), leopard, jaguar, camel (1 hump), camel (2 hump),  giant leopard (1 showed up in my game.  At first, I was wondering what bug it was coz I already tiled the regular leopard... lol, hard time making these actually look giantish in 16x16, or at least as menacing as my pet elephants...), giant jaguar, grizzy bear, malaysian bear, deer, fox, racoon, rhesus monkey (spent some time making the curl of the tail looks "just right", which I think is the charm point of this creature, LOL ), cougar, worlf, groundhog (child, skeleton, zombie where available)

rgds and great job once again

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.3 for DF 2010 (now with Medics)
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 06:59:50 am »

Sphr,

Thanks for all those high quality unit tilesets, this new tileset and your support! :D

Currently, we can't phase out of 16x16 because 16x16 tilesets are already too large for text.
Support needs to be added for two basic tilesets with independent resolutions; one for text only, the other for graphical representations.
This way we could have a 8x16 for the text font, and 16x16 or 32x32 for graphic tiles.

Even better, the game could have support for various tileset optimised for various resolutions.
Ex.: We could have a 8x8 leopard, a 16x16 leopard and a 32x32 leopard. When zooming in/out the game would pick the closest accurate and, this way, minimize distortion and loss of quality.

---

I like your proposal. I'll take care of the packaging and adjustments to DF versions, if that gets us more of your graphic tiles! ;)

---

About the giant leopard problem. That's a standard problem with 16x16 tiles. An extreme example are some vermins. In some tilesets the butterfly is using the full 16x16 tile, when placed next to a grizzly bear it looks twice it's size. Talk about mis-informative. Too many tiles are being generated just so they look the best individually, but without consideration to how they look when placed next to other tiles. That would be less of a problem with 32x32 tiles obviously.

---

I'm currently trying to fix the corruption of the basic tileset when loading graphic tilesets several times. Chariot mods does not seem to have the problem, so that's a good lead.
I'll wait till I find the solution, or give up trying, before merging your new (old) tiles.

Phoebus

---
Edit: Typos.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:30:21 am by Phoebus »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About medicine professions, it might be better to change their clothes to cyan-ish green (the kind doctors wear) so that they don't look too much like masons and other stoneworkers. The tiny red cross isn't that visible. :P

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About medicine professions, it might be better to change their clothes to cyan-ish green (the kind doctors wear) so that they don't look too much like masons and other stoneworkers. The tiny red cross isn't that visible. :P
Like this?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Like this?

Hmmm. I'd have to see an ingame screenshot to see if this change is effective.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.4.2 for DF 2010
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:24 am »

In-game screenshot of the new medical dorf (Left = above change; Right = less pastel):

Edit.: I think I'm going to use the 2nd version.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:30:58 am by Phoebus »

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 11:39:41 am »

actually, for medicine workers, I DID have an idea before I bumped into this thread, which is to use armbands with red cross instead of the bandanna.  I tend to create "styles" for each family of dwarves in my original tiles, e.g. woodworkers gets caps, stoneworkers gets bandanna, rangers gets a ranger cap(with feather) etc.  Was thinking maybe medicine workers should get something a little different: armbands :) maybe will work on it in the future, but I kinda like the current setup, which is smart reuse of existing tiles.... I like the surgeon's saw... (surgical knife is too exquisite a concept for dwarves maybe) it's hilarious... :)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 12:31:46 pm »

Without the hat on it's hard to see the surgeon's uniform behind the dwarven scalpel and armband.

Edit.: Whatever, it's good enough.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:44:28 pm by Phoebus »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:32 pm »

I'm liking the darker blue. Don't make it any darker, though. The pastel still works.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.5 for DF 2010 (Unit backgrounds & new medics)
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 01:50:40 pm »

*Updated* v1.5
Graphical Upgrades:
All units now have a ground backdrop. (except vermins)
Medics no longer wear a cap; they now wear their redcross on an armband. (Sphr's vision.)

Left: v1.5 (new) - Right: v1.4.2 (old)

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.5 for DF 2010 (Unit backgrounds & new medics)
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »

It works, but only runs in a narrow window that uses less than half of the screen height (Windows 7). No way to resize it to fullscreen that my tech idiot self can figure out.  ???

Edit: Nevermind. I haven't played DF in so long, I used the wrong key for trying to switch to fullscreen.  :P Got it now.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:08:42 pm by Saeldanya »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.5 for DF 2010 (Unit backgrounds & new medics)
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 02:10:57 pm »

It works, but only runs in a narrow window that uses less than half of the screen height (Windows 7). No way to resize it to fullscreen that my tech idiot self can figure out.  ???

I'm using the preinstalled version with DF 2010 included. Any help?

Go under DwarfFortressDirectory/data/init/ and edit the init.txt file.

Find those lines (they are near the top of the file) and edit them to the numbers you would like.

[WINDOWED:YES] (YES/NO/PROMPT) (Ingame, press F11 to switch between Windowed and fullscreen, if you are a lucky one it works for.)

[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280] Width
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:400] Height
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280] Width
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800] Height

[GRID:80:25] Make sure these are exactly 1/16 of the width & height you set above
[FULLGRID:80:50]

When DF 2010 gets merged with d40#, we'll be able to resize on the fly.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:13:01 pm by Phoebus »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20