Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the new stone layer symbols?

Yay!
- 37 (75.5%)
Nay!
- 12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3.1 for DF v0.31.03 (Old version)  (Read 198927 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.4.2 for DF 2010
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2010, 02:46:56 pm »

I'm liking the darker blue. Don't make it any darker, though. The pastel still works.
Here's a link to that version of the medics, remember to convert it to BMP if you intend to use it. It goes in /raw/graphics/phoebus/

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2010, 02:53:16 pm »

Without the hat on it's hard to see the surgeon's uniform behind the dwarven scalpel and armband.

no need to see uniform if feature can be detected at native 16x16, which is the aim I think.  More symbolic (though leaning towards being intuitive rather than abstract)

this is a quickie example that took 10 min (just create arm band, paste and adjust a little).  That leaves the head gear more freedom : e.g. leave in the red cross, or choose some other more distinct style hopefully suggestive of being a healthcare worker : e.g. a comical light on a headband?  The idea is to make it distinct enough so as not to be confused/mistaken for other dwarf types (the color also helps, so I vote for the pale blue as well)

e.g.

4xZoom

(Note this is just a demonstration, if this idea is ok, somebody prob need to do a more careful job! lol)

at native 16x16, it will be different enough at one glance so that shld be less likely to be confused or mistaken for other professions.

anyway, just a curious venture.  no need to take it too seriously.  I can keep it for myself eventually.

Skie

• Bay Watcher
  • ~♪
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.5 for DF 2010 (Unit backgrounds & new medics)
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2010, 04:11:19 pm »

Very, very nice work Sphr. You are an example to us all. Best dorf/human/animal etc. sprites out there. :)
I've been working on some sprites myself, which use the same kind of characteristic darkish border you have around all of yours. Never done 16x16 before, or any sprite art at all actually, and it was very difficult. I completely understand what you mean by having to think about each pixel.
Just as soon as I can get over this avalanche of exams, I'll start modding something that uses them. But for now, I'll keep them a secret.

I still have to say to Phoebus, that I prefer Mayday's tileset over yours, so I'm using a mix of Sphr creatures + Mayday tiles at the moment. I mostly don't like the ground/grass and floor textures. Stands out too much. Otherwise the tileset is pretty good.
Skie, Modmaker cancels modcrafting: Went insane.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2010, 04:14:26 pm »

Without the hat on it's hard to see the surgeon's uniform behind the dwarven scalpel and armband.

no need to see uniform if feature can be detected at native 16x16, which is the aim I think.  More symbolic (though leaning towards being intuitive rather than abstract)

this is a quickie example that took 10 min (just create arm band, paste and adjust a little).  That leaves the head gear more freedom : e.g. leave in the red cross, or choose some other more distinct style hopefully suggestive of being a healthcare worker : e.g. a comical light on a headband?  The idea is to make it distinct enough so as not to be confused/mistaken for other dwarf types (the color also helps, so I vote for the pale blue as well)

e.g.

4xZoom

(Note this is just a demonstration, if this idea is ok, somebody prob need to do a more careful job! lol)

at native 16x16, it will be different enough at one glance so that shld be less likely to be confused or mistaken for other professions.

anyway, just a curious venture.  no need to take it too seriously.  I can keep it for myself eventually.

Good design, much clearer and more distinct than my version of the armbands. But those armbands look like they are behind the doctors. I'll redesign them so the armbands are one pixel to the right.
And there's no harm (to us at least) in adding those headbands.

They'll be in the next version (after I play a game of DF :P )

I still have to say to Phoebus, that I prefer Mayday's tileset over yours, so I'm using a mix of Sphr creatures + Mayday tiles at the moment. I mostly don't like the ground/grass and floor textures. Stands out too much. Otherwise the tileset is pretty good.
Improving those tiles (floors and rough grounds) are quite high on my priority list. I just couldn't think of ways to make it happen. I'll give a closer look to Mayday's style to see what I could work out.
For the floor tile, I had to make a choice. My first design had a 2 pixel wide +. When I turned the tile into a diamond, with the (very poor) transparency, it just swore, and the only way I found to fix it was to increase/reduce the width of the + to 3 or 1 pixel wide, I choose 3. I've been regretting that decision but never got around to try the other option. :/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:23:35 pm by Phoebus »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2010, 07:15:23 pm »

umm i can't see the links for the packages, can you load them into the file depot?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2010, 08:35:14 pm »

umm i can't see the links for the packages, can you load them into the file depot?

For the Pre-Installed Package:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2003

For the Patch Package:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2005
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:11:29 pm by Phoebus »

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2010, 08:46:32 pm »

THANK YOU! I was waiting for you to re-upload that as well.  :P

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.5 for DF 2010 (Uploaded on DFFD)
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2010, 09:10:39 pm »

Sorry for the lack of mirrors, and the slow response time on the re-upload. I was kinda distracted by burning dwarves while setting up my magma forge.

yongke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »

Hi, I am not sure if anyone else have reported this already but this package is missing the capitalized "E".

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2010, 09:36:31 pm »

For me, the letters D and H are replaced by.. kobolds? Or something similar..
And smoothened copper walls are replaced by some other creature..
Have I done something wrong?
I suspect there is some creatures tied to those letters..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:38:04 pm by Ultimuh »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »

That missing/replaced letter bug is a bug with DF v0.31.01 itself.

After entering the world gen menu, if you have any graphical unit tilesets enabled, the game will temporarily corrupt letters (E & H are very common)
Restarting DF after a world gen completely gets rid of the problem.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

ok, thanks

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Updated* v1.5.1
Updated the medic unit graphics.
Updated the camels, cougar, bears, deer, elephant, groundhog, fox, hippo, jaguar, leopard, macaque rhesus, mountain goat, raccoon and wolf graphics.
Added Giant Leopard & Giant Jaguar graphics.
Modified the init.txt so the starting windowed resolution is 1280x800, and seasonal backups are now enabled by default.

New Medics (wider armbands, teal uniforms & headbands):

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking at those medics, makes me think.. whatabout giving gem cutters and mechanics som unique goggles? aswell?
Just a suggestion. :)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking at those medics, makes me think.. whatabout giving gem cutters and mechanics som unique goggles? aswell?
Just a suggestion. :)
Gem Cutters already have glasses.
And I don't think goggles would come out well at that resolution. (At least, -I- wouldn't succeed in drawing them.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20