Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you organize your dwarves's labours?  (Read 403 times)

dSvenb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do you organize your dwarves's labours?
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:51:01 am »

With the new version rendering all the utilities obsolete, I'm finding myself almost incapable of organizing my dwarves into their roles. With the labours now grouped, I was thinking it'd be great to be able to customize those groups and that in turn got me thinking. How do the rest of you organize your dwarves' labours? Do you have proportions for each job, or group tasks to reduce foot traffic? Ultimately, I'd like to establish an idea of the 'typical' player that can guide a future interface update.

I, for one, tend to have at least two dwarves for any one labour, so a mood or a wound or death doesn't mean having to immediately find a successor. Critical labours like cooking and brewing have up to ten. I'll have a handful on all the metalworking, a handful working with stone and a handful working with wood. A few for all the 'crafting and a few for leather and cloth. The remaining 150 or so do all the hauling, farming and smoothing. I guess in future I'll have to have a handful doing medical work. If I can help it, I used to appoint one dwarf to all the offices but I have no idea how that'll work now.

So, how do you run your fortress?