Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All hail the miracle of medicine!  (Read 573 times)

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All hail the miracle of medicine!
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:30:29 am »

Honestly, the amazingness of dwarven medicine makes me want to go on a dwarvencidal rampage.

My foreman was leading two other miners in a dig and (somehow) there was a collapse.  My foreman and another miner fell some distance, breaking and mangling themselves.  My doc comes, drags the foreman to a bed (didn't have a hospital set up yet) and the other guy goes to another bed. 

My foreman I knew was a goner, because I didn't embark with medical supplies because I figured I wouldn't need them soon   :-\

Well, foreman does die, though he lived awhile, the doc first stabilizing him, attempted surgery on his severed spine, and I think plugged a few wounds.  Though the doc didn't seem to feel the need to constantly clean the poor dwarf because after the first cleaning the doc didn't bother to clean him again.

Now Urist McOtherMiner in the bed over has a broken left arm (in two places).  My doc, after getting his cloth materials and splints, finally finishes fixing up McOtherMiner (though yet again the miner got another infection so he may die soon...) and all of a sudden...BAM, my miner isn't bedridden.  I am not really sure yet how useful he is, but I don't have to keep looking over to the bed's and going "why won't you just die" because I am too lazy to help them along in the process.

Edit:  Also, add any other Fun/fun DF2010 doc stories.

Edit2:  Alright well my miner can't mine (seeing as he can't grasp too well at the moment), but having a temp hauler with the possibility of returning to legendary miner abilities in the future is better than a corpse, and far better than a bed ridden nub.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:32:55 am by Karik »

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All hail the miracle of medicine!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:06 am »

This actually warranted a new reply instead of an edit, because I realized I had turned off my wounded miners mining task and when I turned it on?  He's back to mining, and it took maybe a month, when before a red wounded dwarf would likely be useless for life.  All hail!  I am not sure if he is as good (as quick) as he was, but he sure seems to be doing quite fine.