Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.31.01]Space not always working as "back"  (Read 4206 times)

Yammo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01]Space not always working as "back"
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:24:17 am »

This may not be a "bug" per-se, but it does interrupt the game
play as if it was one. :)

Space does not work for exiting menu-modes such as "dig, build, character",
instead you have to press ESC. This quickly became quite frustrating.

Tinamil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01]Space not always working as "back"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:27:31 am »

As a workaround you can re-bind Space to be the exit button in the Menu.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:57:00 am »

It's actually a feature, instead of a bug. Toady wanted to see how new players responded to having the more standard esc instead of space, which caused some problems with entering strings. I changed it back in the key bindings.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:38:16 pm »

i have to say, it's pretty aggravating

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:44:50 pm »

I too still hit space regularly to back out, but that's just muscle-memory. It's not annoying or aggravating though. I think it's actually a better choice; I had as much trouble figuring out the difference between enter and space the first time I played as I am relearning to use escape. If changing it to escape eliminates that for new players then the rest of us can cope.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:56:49 pm »

This is the most frustratingly annoying new addition to the game that I have found. Esc is so far away from everything else I am doing. And space is always right by my thumb.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:06:37 pm »

Yeah. I really dislike the idea of using escape instead of space. I always had to reach to use it, because unlike space which is at the center of all of my menu keys, escape is way out there to the northwest (:P)
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Yammo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:34:21 pm »

As a workaround you can re-bind Space to be the exit button in the Menu.

Didn't even know there was a button-config page..
*cheers*!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41:20 pm »

Rebinding it is a frustration when its time to enter strings, but its much more natural to keep your hands on the keyboard and have 'back' as your spacebar. Maybe I should try backspace.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:45:25 pm »

It's a terrible, terrible idea to have such a frequently-used key as "Space" (for pausing) be the way to exit out of ANNOUNCEMENTS that can pop up as random.  So I heartily support removing it from announcements, making you press enter or 'a' or something.  But...yeah, for getting out of designations, space should ideally work.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 10:48:12 pm »

Rebinding it is a frustration when its time to enter strings, but its much more natural to keep your hands on the keyboard and have 'back' as your spacebar. Maybe I should try backspace.
What about 'alt'? It's right next to the space bar and I don't think it would mess up strings.

I like escape. I always keep my left hand up near q, for workshop orders, so it's just a finger away.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:18:11 am »

As a touch-typist, I don't really care for anything that forces my hands away from the home row.  I also don't like the way that hitting Esc one too many times takes you to the game menu. 

I've redone my bindings so that Space acts the way it did before.  I think you can do it within the game, but the way I did it was by altering Interface.txt in the inits directory:

Find the lines that say:
[LEAVESCREEN:ESCAPE]
[LEAVESCREEN_ALL:SHIFT+ESCAPE]

And change those lines to:
[LEAVESCREEN:SPACE]
[LEAVESCREEN_ALL:SHIFT+SPACE]

I can see the justification for making the pause button and the leave-menu button different keys, but Esc is a very poor choice given that there are so many menus in this game and that they go so many levels deep.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:40:43 am »

I've rebound exit to "Delete", it seems to be working well and it's easily reached as your hands are always around PageUp/PageDown/Enter anyway.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 06:56:35 am »

I bound it to shift+space to normal exit and ctrl+space to exit all, it's close enough to default that I'm not fumbling for keys yet it's not interfering with input.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 07:33:14 am »

What about 'alt'? It's right next to the space bar and I don't think it would mess up strings.
The game won't let you bind Alt by itself. Alt+Space works perfectly though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2