Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming suggestion. From building to zone.  (Read 772 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Farming suggestion. From building to zone.
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:36 am »

Currently farms are constructed as buildings.
Whilst this is fairly easy, it does allow them to be destroyed.
Zones cannot be destroyed by one mental dwarf.
Zones would also eventually allow the construction of tree plantations.
Zones would be able to have each tile adapt to whether it was watered or not.
Zones could include ploughing for each tile a seed was planted on, as part of the planting process. Or perhaps the whole batch at first, with the rest done when necessary (after harvest).
Zones for crops could still be made in adventurer towns.
And finally, Zones seem more apparent to be the way to assign farming (at least to me).
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming suggestion. From building to zone.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:35:54 pm »

Completely seconded. I suggested something similar in the improved farming thread as "plant zones", grouping all plant management functions.
Plant zones:
Plant zones are defined using a combination of room flow/zoning tools. In them, a variety of plant-related tasks can be scheduled either in a yearly schedule or on an as-needed basis: that means dwarves with the appropriate skill go do a job as soon as needed (eg. watering: maintain moisture level x, weeding: yes/no, woodcutting: some/lots/all, fertilizing: maintain nutrients level x,...) with the distinction that more highly skilled ones will react faster.
It would be convenient to combine these with animal zones (for fishing, herding animals -> fertilizer & grazing pastures, that need clearcutting). Even a combination with stockpiles is possible (so you can stockpile meat chunks in the wolf pit, or farm saprofytic mushrooms on the refuse pile).

This allows to give orders for a group of squares, but they can still be separately affected by cave-ins, goblin trampling, flooding, etc. Weeds/unwanted plants grow normally.

It's also a natural extension of the "flexible workshops" thread, in the eternal suggestion list as room-system defined workshops.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:57:49 pm »

Sounds like a great idea to me. The current system is a little awkward.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:10:12 pm »

I like it. It would need some finessing to strike a happy medium between the two, really, but I like the idea.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:53:01 pm »

It makes sense.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 01:26:02 am »

I like the idea. Would there be an option to make tree farms, where all trees that grow there are cut down automatically?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 04:56:02 am »

I like the idea. Would there be an option to make tree farms, where all trees that grow there are cut down automatically?
There could be three options:
1. Plant trees (which species, how dense etc.)
2. Cut trees (which species, at which age, leave how many)
3. Harvest (in this case, the fruit, lacquer, rubber, syrup, leaves, etc. of the trees)

Just using 2 is a simple woodcutting zone that has been suggested earlier. Activate 1 to make it a tree farm as you suggested. Activating 1 and 3 would make it a plantation, and you could active 2 as well to cut down trees that are getting old and have lower production.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 07:59:51 am »

Can we expand zones yet?

The farm and stockpile systems need to be made more like burrows are right now. Also, remove the bloody numbering or make it reset when the pile is removed. All the temporary stockpiles you deleted long ago still take up queue numbers. Same with squads.