Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Unable to dig?  (Read 1248 times)

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Unable to dig?
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:41:02 am »

I am not sure of the exact cause but I saved and restarted my game before i hit the magma sea and while i managed to bypass it i found semi molten rock which seemed to be undiggable(not sure if this is intended or not)

So i figured I wouldd go up a few z levels and low and behold i dug into the magma sea...sideways bad but not fortress ending...

I soon discovered the negative distance bug mentioned in another thread when i tried to build a floor a few z levels up and dwarfs oddly could no longer path to that location...hmm

now for the interesting part I was able to dig out 'almost' any square that was revealed before i breached the sea..but that is it all tiles after that cannot even be interacted with anywhere in the fort.

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Unable to dig?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:38:20 am »

Pretty sure the semi-molten rock is meant as undiggable.  However...

I can't find the negative distance pathing bug thread, but I also had a similar experience.  I was exploring caves and mined through a wall to let an underground sea pour into the up/down stairwell.

Immediately after the water started pouring in and blocking potential pathing down the tunnel, pathing all over the map ceased almost entirely.  Jobs became impossible.  There was nothing down the stairwell that would have attracted the dwarves to go down there.  I had to abandon.

When I reclaimed the site, jobs would get done by the new dwarves, but they would freeze with "No Job" for a while before finally doing something.  Miners would only mine a single tile at a time, then run back to the meeting area with "No Job".  I should note that only a portion of the old flooding stairwell was shown, since the rest had become hidden between embarks to the location.

Eventually, I guessed the cause, and sealed the part of the stairwell that was getting flooded with a constructed floor, eliminating any pathing possibility.  Voila--all dwarves returned to normal.  Later, I accidentally broke a wall into a part of the stairwell deeper down, but that did not seem to have an effect.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:28:59 pm »

I am not sure of the exact cause but I saved and restarted my game before i hit the magma sea and while i managed to bypass it i found semi molten rock which seemed to be undiggable(not sure if this is intended or not)

So i figured I wouldd go up a few z levels and low and behold i dug into the magma sea...sideways bad but not fortress ending...

I soon discovered the negative distance bug mentioned in another thread when i tried to build a floor a few z levels up and dwarfs oddly could no longer path to that location...hmm

now for the interesting part I was able to dig out 'almost' any square that was revealed before i breached the sea..but that is it all tiles after that cannot even be interacted with anywhere in the fort.

Can you catch him in a cage trap?

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:22:02 pm »

I've been experiencing this as well. I did some looking, but I didn't see any other threads with this issue.

I was routing a bunch of ponds together with channels for some watery Fun after a few rains and I had all traffic outdoors just stop... I had probably 20-something cut lumber sitting around waiting to be hauled and my three or so miners just standing next to channeled tiles with No Job.  One of the miners was "trapped" between two ponds after he channeled himself in, so I (thinking like it was 40d) ordered a floor be built so he could get out.  Someone eventually came and built it, and I think that's when everyone first 'froze'.  I re-ordered the tile the stranded miner was on to be channeled, which he did, and went and climbed out on one of the ramps. At that point things seemed to move again for a bit, everyone came out to pick up lumber, etc.  But then it happened again.  No stranding issues this time, just a bunch of miners next to their channels with No Job.  That's about all the relevant details I can think of for this particular instance.  Oh, I did make a backup save at this point in case it could be useful in the troubleshooting.

On a potentially related note, on a separate project much earlier in the life of the fort I was digging down the 40 some odd levels to level 100, found a cavern with some Fun I wasn't ready for yet, and ordered a floor built over the stairs a couple levels up.  Now, my excavation was a 1x1 shaft of up/down stairs.  The dorf built the floor on the same level that he was, and I would THINK this would mean you wouldn't be able to go down on that stair, but you could go up.  Not so, apparently.  He got stuck.  I ordered a side shaft be dug to him, but I kept having problems with unreachable cancellations.  It seemed like they were trying to path through the blocked stairs to some of the tiles nearer the trapped dorf, instead of through the side shaft that they could actually access.  I was eventually able to change around the designations and time it so that they came in from the "right" side and got him out, but definitely strikes as a bug needing fixing.
Quote from: zagibu
Don't ask how many times I've accidentally spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.