Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Because I'm fat, I'm fat, shamun (really really fat)  (Read 1517 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Because I'm fat, I'm fat, shamun (really really fat)
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:39:20 am »

I hadn't planned to hunt.  And really, me dwarves are as busy as could be.  Busy!  And not with hunting.  No time to butcher either.  But when I saw this groundhog, I almost changed plans entirely.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Me head's going to explode with wonderment and to many things I must try to do all at once.  I NEED MORE DWARVES, WHERE ARE MY GIANT MIGRANT WAVES NOW THAT I WANT TO DO SO MUCH WITH THEM?  *runs off sobbing, to play more DF through the tears*
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Because I'm fat, I'm fat, shamun (really really fat)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:22 am »

thats definatly a good question which I had never even thought of..

Heres the new groundhog code.. and I'm not seeing a number of fat.
You might be on to something here..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:56:59 pm »

Tested this in arena using butcher command.  Not sure if it would be different in fortress mode, but...

Groundhog 7: Very fat, enormous overall (Should be more fat)
Groundhog 8: Very muscular, gigantic overall (should be more meat)
Groundhog 9 & 10: No descriptors

After a quick slaughter by a godlike dwarf in the highest quality gear (using a spear so as to not mutilate the goods), all bled to death

Groundhog 7: yielded skin, 6 units of fat, 6 units of meat, 4 units of bone, one unit of prepared intestines, one skull
Groundhog 8: yielded skin, 6 units of fat, 6 units of meat, 4 units of bone, one unit of prepped intestines, one skull
Groundhog 9: yielded skin, 6 units of fat, 6 units of meat, 4 units of bone, one unit of prepped intestines, one skull
Groundhog 10: Yielded skin, 6 fat, 6 meat, 4 bone, NO PREPARED INTESTINES, and one skull

both groundhog 8 and groundhog 10 had their stomach torn by an assault, so no idea on what causes organs to be available for eating or not.

However, this is post-death butchering, and death also makes the descriptors disappear, apparently. (e.g. the upper body is missing compared to eye color).  I didn't check the post-death descriptors, stupidly enough, so maybe something there would've told me about it.

Testing on tame animals butchered with death-by-butchery may be required, but personally I think it doesn't matter.  It should be IMO, but it doesn't seem personal characteristics affect butcher results.

Personally, I'm more interested in what causes certain organs to be available for preparation/eating.

Groundhog 8 suffered neck, right front paw (bone, ligament, and tendon x2), lower body (stomach and muscle), lower body (muscle and lower spine nervous tissue), and left front leg (bone and tendon) injuries

Groundhog 10 suffered lower body (muscle and stomach), right front leg (bone, sensory nerve, and tendon), upper body (left lung, trouble breathing), left rear leg (bone and tendon), upper body (muscle, upper spine nervous tissue, and tendon), and left front leg (bone, artery opened, tendon) injuries

Maybe arteries have something to do with it?  That's my best guess. >_>
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:58:31 pm by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:56:22 pm »

Groundhog 8 suffered neck, right front paw (bone, ligament, and tendon x2), lower body (stomach and muscle), lower body (muscle and lower spine nervous tissue), and left front leg (bone and tendon) injuries

Groundhog 10 suffered lower body (muscle and stomach), right front leg (bone, sensory nerve, and tendon), upper body (left lung, trouble breathing), left rear leg (bone and tendon), upper body (muscle, upper spine nervous tissue, and tendon), and left front leg (bone, artery opened, tendon) injuries

Dwarf Fortress. Learning advanced anatomy because your dwarfs need to wash hands.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 02:11:17 pm »

If you want to be certain you don't damage them you can just drown the groundhogs.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:22:21 pm »

Dwarf Fortress. Learning advanced anatomy because your dwarfs need to wash hands.

Well, I would like to find out if there's a specific method of killing animals for food that would yield the most results from butchering.

If we can find out if certain injuries are linked to certain parts of the animal becoming unavailable when butchered, we can find the most efficient weapons, methods, or whatever to use.  On forts that are having a tough time getting farms running or otherwise rely on animal food sources for food, it could be useful.

Sure, it's only one or two units of food, but in the early game or in challenging locations (or if someone decides to try a low-embark-point world gen challenge, for example), every single meal counts.

On a more interesting note, dragons + elves + butcher command = "a spattering of elf grease". 

Awesome.  I never noticed that due to the lack of megabeasts/butchering anything near a source of heat.  I really hope grease has a use now.  I doubt it, but I know what I'm going to use to keep my water wheels running smoothly when it does.  ;)
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.