Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My friend likes to beat me  (Read 2105 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My friend likes to beat me
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 05:27:19 pm »

Did anyone other then me read the title and think this topic was about something completely different? ::)

*raises hand sheepishly*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 05:33:05 pm »

My advice would be for you to contact your closest United Earth Directorate representative and file a restraining order on your friend. If things escalate, try applying to the Zerg protection program. You might have to move to a different hive, if that is the case, try not to let your friend learn your new galactic coordinates.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 06:13:13 pm »

Did anyone other then me read the title and think this topic was about something completely different? ::)

*raises hand sheepishly*

Oh, don't mind me, I do it on purpose all the time.

My advice would be for you to contact your closest United Earth Directorate representative and file a restraining order on your friend. If things escalate, try applying to the Zerg protection program. You might have to move to a different hive, if that is the case, try not to let your friend learn your new galactic coordinates.

Raynor's Rangers sure know how to hide themselves.

I must admit, this friend of mine is probably the best map maker ever.
He made a map for the sole purpose of us two fighting, and made a sc campaign. A whole campaign! The trggers are well made, and it has a quite sensible storyline.

He totally wastes his talents, by not releasing his work to the public  ;)

Ok, now that I know a couple of strategies, I have a couple of questions:

What is the best way to practice?

Should I just play a 1vs3 melee map and try to win it?
Play on fastest speed? Or just play a lot?
Should I do something like 6 pool?
Or hatchery first is better for tvt?

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 09:07:28 pm »

Indeed. I regret what I just read, as well. That story was so sad!  :-[
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 09:11:49 pm »

My advice is to stop typing like Outcast Orange.
Outcast actually doesn't do that,
 it is more like this,
 my good sir.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 02:07:48 am »

Are you making this a spam topic?
Awesome.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 10:55:01 am »

That ship has sailed.

IN SPACE!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »

I always had the opposite problem. My friend uses Zerg with dreadful efficiency, and I can never beat him with Terran. I can win in ZvZ, but only rarely in TvZ. Granted neither of us are regular players, but it's what happens.

If you play a lot, and want to not let your friend abuse you via RTS, then you'll need to observe his strategies and tendencies, and learn to thwart them. Superior Intelligence is a strength of Zerg, with some Micromanagement: Burrowed units are simple, effective recon and defense in early/mid game. I like burrowing 2-4 zerglings at my opponent's logical expansions (right by the minerals), and pop out when they are about 25% done, kill the SCV, and then the building. You can set them back significantly until they can get scanner sweeps going.

For mid/late game offense, you will NEED Defilers. Dark Cloud right on top of a stack of Goliaths/tanks, and send in upgraded Zerglings. 8 fully-upgraded Zerglings can destroy a stack of Ranged troops within a Dark Cloud, if you can keep them from getting asploded. Add in an Ultralisk or 2 to sponge some damage, and you can even breach a fortified position. Plague is also a killer for Terran army, since they don't have regenerative health; if you get a plague off on a fleet of battlecruisers, tanks, or a defensive bunker, they're easy pickings, even for mutalisks. Enough Defilers can destroy a Terran base without any mulitary support too, since Terran Buildings begin to damage themselves when they're in the red. Plague 2 or 3 clusters of important buildings, and you can sabotauge their tech tree completely.

Second, make sure to use Queens. They're annoying as hell, great as scouts and recon (parasite high-powered units to track their movements and disuade them from using them in combat, and on SCVs to keep tabs on the base (players rarely check their SCVs at old expansions). They can also do crowd control and "cloak scans" with Entangle, and a team of queens can trash a squad of bunkered-in tanks with Spawn Broodling.

Thirdly, learn your land-units, and use your Air primarily for support. Though Air-heavy armies are versatile and powerful, they tend to be expensive and relatively flimsy. A Hydralisks can take a Wraith fairly easily, and 6 can take a battlecruiser, and fewer can with proper support.

I hope that this helps you and your friend work out your problems, so you can get on with your friendship. Good luck in this, sir, and godspeed.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 05:43:30 am »

In the best game we've had yet (I still lost  ;D ) I placed zerglings burrowed at every possible expansion. Combined with the most cheesy tactics ever I managed to pull off an amazing game. If only I knew to use scourges on science vessel I could've won.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 12:02:45 pm »

We had another game today.
He totally surprised me when he chose protoss.
But I chose terran, so that surprised him even more.

One game lost and one won.

The first time he still thought I played zerg, so I was able to siege his base and win.
The second time he used dark templars and win.
What was one heck of a close game.
Pages: 1 [2]