Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My friend likes to beat me  (Read 2103 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
My friend likes to beat me
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:07:37 am »

So, I have a friend, and we know each other since childhood, but now
he does something I only moderately like.
He beats me up. In starcraft.
Since he found a way for us to play on the internet using hamachi we had a couple of battles one might call epic, if it weren't for the fact that I'm a complete begginer.
The score is 4:3 for him now, but he outmaches me in skill so very much.
On smaller maps, I'll just rush him, and that's it for him, but when we play on andromeda, I have to control the whole map just to survive.
And then he pulls out science vessels, and it's over for my mutalisks.
But that's not the biggest problem.
What should I do when he makes goliaths + tanks and a couple of science vessels? I found I can't really handle them, late game.
My friend suggested learning defilers, but I'm not that fast actually.
I'm not korean and I can't make 7 actions in 1 second.
Obviously rushing with the zerglings on bigger maps, is stupid, they will have a wall in by that time.
Any overall advice, how to beat terran?

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My friend likes to beat me
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:00:26 am »

Can't really help, since ZvT is probably my worst matchup, but if you want to play with similar skilled opponents, go here and download that. Then make an account, launch SC with the AH launcher, find the Iccup server and login.

I'm [TA]ToastFluff on there if you want to have a few games.

[/plug]

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:05:00 am »

From what I've seen, if he's doing walkers and tanks with floaty things I don't see much choice but to simply learn how to use defilers, you NEED that dark swarm.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:35:36 am »

Dark swarm doesn't help flyers, so my scourges won't have much chance bringing down those science vessels

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:48:03 am »

Dark swarm doesn't help flyers, so my scourges won't have much chance bringing down those science vessels
That's why you use zerglings/hydralisks/ and if you can get them, ultralisks, all under the cover of dark swarm.

Or if you want to take a page from some professional players, lurkers are brutal with dark swarm.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 11:48:27 am »

I had this one friend that was always inevitably superior to me at all computer games we competed in. Eventually I just stopped caring, since I had a life outside video games.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but it's probably a better piece of "life advice" if you will
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:10 pm »

That's actually the situation.
We played guilty gear before, and we had a fair amount of wins and losses against each other, but then he managed to get korean (or japanese) good at it, and it's a miracle now if I win.
I can definitely see it coming now. If I won't play as much as him, I'll get far behind. My friend is just like that.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:04:44 pm »

My advice is to stop typing like Outcast Orange.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:14:48 pm »

ZvT should be fairly easy for you to win. It's definitely in your favor. I'm assuming you aren't doing something stupid like a super-stack or "LOL $$$$" map, where the Zerg player will always be at a disadvantage because the cheapness of their units is somewhat negated by the resource abundance. I'm also assuming Brood War, not the standard game.

Micromanagement isn't a huge deal for Zerg. What is big is booming. Any time you've got a few hundred minerals, you should be building another hatchery. Prioritize other buildings only till you get the hydralisk den and evolution chamber, then work on getting about 8 hatcheries (including your starting hatchery, which should be a Lair by now) in your main base. Pump hydralisks like crazy. You will probably need more resources. Go expand into your standard expansion, and maybe his if he's slow. When you have the chance in there, start shifting over to flyer production--not mutalisks unless you know how to use them, but definitely guardians and scourges (maybe a few devourers if he's using Wraiths, as their cloak is useless once you get acid spores on them). Ignore stuff like ultralisks, as they cost more than they're worth. Queens can be useful in small numbers--broodling a Siege Tank within a mass of them and they'll usually friendly-fire one or two other tanks. Defilers can be useful in small numbers; Plague, not Dark Swarm, is their most useful ability against Terran, as repairing mechs can be expensive. Plague also does a hell of a nice bit of damage to Battlecruisers if he's one of those types, and a Scourge bomb can usually finish the job and make him waste a lot of minerals and gas.

I'm not sure why Science Vessels are a problem for you; Irradiate does a lot of damage, but you should be able to Scourge any SVs that get too close.

The key here is to throw massive numbers at him until he chokes. Don't bother with overlord drops or other attempted tactics; they're not that important. Outmass him and keep hitting him. Don't give him time to rebuild. You should have the ability to pump out 24 hydralisks every time each hatchery hits 3 larvae--if you don't have the money, expand more until you do. You cannot sit in a hole as any race in Starcraft, but it's much, much worse for the Zerg not to own multiple expansions and have really, really good economy. Yes, this means you have to "control a lot of the map." That's how Zerg is played. If that's a problem for you, don't play Zerg.

What should I do when he makes goliaths + tanks and a couple of science vessels? I found I can't really handle them, late game.
Shit, there's plenty of things to do. Mech pushes are so easy to break. A scourge squad will overwhelm Goliaths enough that you can gank the science vessels. Queens can Broodling Siege Tanks and Goliaths, which (if the siege tanks have shifted) is, again, a great way to cause friendly fire, and to instakill a unit otherwise. The key, though, is to burn down the science vessels, as lurkers or other mid-level units can generally gank the mechs as long as the detectors are down. And if you're getting desperate, a Zergling flood against them should probably be okay.

Complaining about "not being fast" is not going to get you anywhere with Starcraft. It is a game where actions-per-minute matter. It's like complaining that you can't catch a football, when you want to play a wide receiver. It's just how it's played. Anyone can learn it.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 03:52:54 am »

Thanks Blacken, that will certainly be helpfull.
Guess I'll just have to play a lot to learn all this.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 04:13:55 am »

Or you could just play Terran and out-boom him. That'd probably be easier. A small edge in TvT is more easily magnified than playing even-even ZvT. If you can keep one expansion (or even just a few SCVs) ahead of somebody in Terran versus Terran, you can usually pull out a victory. Similarly, busting up a few of his mineral-line SCVs can give you a decent edge. On the other hand, if he can out-expand you, you are boned. Just remember that your spellcasters are huge; Ghosts are criminally overlooked by people who go "hurr nuke" and forget that four Ghosts with Lockdown can immobilize 12 Battlecruisers and let you kill them off.

Protoss versus Terran is asking to get beaten into the ground if the Terran player has any sort of a clue. In games with clients that are modded to actually work correctly, EMP Shockwave plus a fleet of Valkyries basically ends any Protoss air threat and in a broken standard system, Wraiths do the same thing well enough.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:17:01 am »

I actually have made so many succesfull mutalisk harrases that he became paranoid and missile turrets are always lying everywhere.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 01:47:57 pm »

That's why Guardians exist. They out-range missile turrets.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 05:03:59 pm »

As a Terran player, I absolutely hate three things above all:

Broodlings

Parasites

Ensnare

By GOD these spells are annoying. Broodling is an instant kill on any land unit. Flank his main base's defenses and pop an SCV or blow up a siege tank and watch as friendly fire brings all his land units to half health. Parasite is easy to get rid of with Restoration, but if they don't have a Medic on hand it means they either have to send the unit back to base or have them meet in the middle, or you can see them until a medic gets there. If he prefers mechs, he may not even have medics and he might not have Restoration researched, in which case Parasite is a horrifically annoying ability. Ensnare means that if he wants to escape, he can't, and it takes away the cloaking advantage of wraiths if you can snare them before they can blow up your queen. The Queen is the most irritating Zerg unit, but be prepared to Micro with it because the thing the queen is best for is being irritating so they're looking somewhere they shouldn't be. Unless he's crazy-good, getting four broodlings off his SCVs in one or two bases while defending his Science Vessel(s) is nearly impossible.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 05:24:04 pm »

Did anyone other then me read the title and think this topic was about something completely different? ::)
Pages: [1] 2