Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Items don't rot  (Read 5462 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Items don't rot
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:49:34 am »

Corpses, remains and body parts don't appear to ever rot away.
I think body parts disappear when the season changes, though.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Items don't rot
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:06:29 am »

Confirmed.
I have a 30x30 or so sized refuse pile filled completely with 2-legged rhino lizard remains killed by my 1 kitten.

For that matter, I haven't seen a miasma yet, now that I think about it.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:33:39 am »

I have seen the nervous tissue of my butchered cammel rot away. But it didnt create any misma.

Edit: The nervous tissue had just begun rotting, when it was dumped inside. But it was inside.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:02:02 am by Spectre »

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:55:49 am »

For the record can you confirm if this was underground or above ground refuse piles as aboveground refuse piles don't rot they just degrade ie the stockpile should be wiped clean on season changes.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:04:05 am by Cryten »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:32 am »

Hi!

* Surface refuse stock pile will not see remains degrade/rot away
* Remains lying outside or inside do not go away, although I think I once saw a "rotten remains" item. But I have not been able to reproduce that.
* No miasma has been confirmed with remains.
* Corpses will not change the graphics, but rot through "rotten" => "partially skeletal" => skeleton. If this is underground, they will spawn miasma.
* Plants will wither and food will rot properly.

Deathworks

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »

currently in posession of a massive stockpile of vermin corpses - roaches, rats and the like. They are outside and exposed, and maybe two or three out of the thirty or so have become rotten after over a year now. Slaughtered animal parts dumped with them vanish as usual - skulls and bones dissapear quite quickly.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:20:26 pm »

I can somewhat confirm items don't rot. Just reclaimed a fort and all the food from the previous dispatch are still here, completely unrotten. Only rotten things I see are a few animal corpses.
There are non-rotten turtles lying around everywhere, some of which eventually rotted, but it took almost an entire in-game month and a lot of it made it to a stockpile before that happened. Several prepared meals and intestines, too. Have yet to see anything actually rot away, I've just resorted to one-tile dump designating it all away.

Edit: I look away for a second and everything changes, go figure. A bunch of the rotten turtles have disappeared from the refuse pile, I suppose they rotted away. Haven't seen any vermin remains do that yet, though.

Edit 2: 9th Felsite (Late Spring) and a 2-stack roast that was lying around since reclaim just got taken to the food stockpile, still unrotten.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:32:16 pm by ein Syndication »

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:53 pm »

Confirmed. On my fourth reclaim of one site- don;t ask. Anyways, food has been lying out since the first adanbon, has not yet rotten.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:32:34 pm »

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:51:13 pm »

Animals at least rot.  I have a zombie horse happily clouding up my entry hall with miasma (LIVE...er...not dead horse, by the way).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:54:56 pm »

My dead dorf rotted underground when some critter from the caverns killed it. I didn't let it stick around long enough to see if it would totally decompose.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »

at this point the  best solution is to delete your current world (save the seed numbers if you want the same site), delete all vermin from the raws, and re-gen a new world.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »

Crazy idea here, but I don't think this is a bug. I think corpses now rot more realisticly. I found a dead dwarf who had been reduced to mutilated, skeletal remains, which leads me to believe...

ROTTING IS NOW TISSUE BY TISSUE.

(duh dun DUM)

Which would suggest we are seeing a new feature, not realizing its a feature, and assuming that since the old way of handling rotting is not occuring then nothing is occuring.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

deathc4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:08:42 am »

Confirmed.
I have a 30x30 or so sized refuse pile filled completely with 2-legged rhino lizard remains killed by my 1 kitten.

For that matter, I haven't seen a miasma yet, now that I think about it.

Same here. Its to the point I think I could build a separate fortress entirely out of two legged rhino lizards.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 03:18:51 am »

I'm seeing this too, tho I did see one instance of rotten vermin remains.

I've resorted to setting up an atom smasher, given the lack of alternatives.
Pages: [1] 2