Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Holy Paradigm Shift  (Read 4204 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Paradigm Shift
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 10:16:06 am »

Holy Paradigm Shift Batman!

fix'd that 4 u... >.<

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 10:19:16 am »

Pro tip, I've discovered that selecting the up/down staircase designation, and clicking where you want it while holding down the < key, is the easiest way to do long staircases.

Wait, he fixed that? It used to only do designations at the level you are at when you click, not in between levels. If it does things between levels now... *drools*

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 10:21:08 am »

gems and ore everywhere.  I no longer bring a stonecrafter with my seven starting dwarves, it's all metalcrafting and gem cutting from here on out.

Also, found my magma a whopping 130 z-levels down.  I'm not entirely sure how to harness this, with a massive cavern network between the magma and my fortress (which rests at z-levels 4 through 14 or so).

Obviously with a lot of pumps
Thank you based dwarf.

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 11:37:57 am »

Personally, I can't wait for the 2010 justdigitout and Dwarf Therapist.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 11:48:44 am »

gems and ore everywhere.  I no longer bring a stonecrafter with my seven starting dwarves, it's all metalcrafting and gem cutting from here on out.

Also, found my magma a whopping 130 z-levels down.  I'm not entirely sure how to harness this, with a massive cavern network between the magma and my fortress (which rests at z-levels 4 through 14 or so).
Abandon the surface. Screw sunlight. Armok calls you deeper!

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:36 pm »

Are there underground civilizations? Please tell me there's underground civilizations. It would be so epic to have an underground civilization that trades with you or sieges you.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 12:25:21 pm »

So far I've run across an Antman civ, that seems to consist of 2 Queens and some warriors, and a drone. I plan to kill them all as soon as I get enough dwarves to support a decent military. CLEANSE THE DEPTHS.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 12:43:35 pm »

Are there underground civilizations? Please tell me there's underground civilizations. It would be so epic to have an underground civilization that trades with you or sieges you.

Yes, well sort of.
Went decided reckless with my first game before reality sets in (dammit, the need to sleep!).
Charge all the way down, forgot where I found the cavern (20+ level down thou).  Saw a large cavern, and my brain just exploded.  Then my seven dwarf promptly got murdered by a group of antmen.
I'm going to stay away for a while until I settle down.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 01:36:47 pm »

I am utterly in shock at the awesomeness that lurks underground. Gods, I can't wait for the first version of working Reveal... the Dwarves are utterly doomed. Truly, the depths are a place of strange wonders...

Reveal2: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Utilities

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 01:40:35 pm »

I was chuckling to myself how this new release is like the old 2D mode playstyle challenges inverted on the vertical plane into 3D mode.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 02:42:31 pm »

I am utterly in shock at the awesomeness that lurks underground. Gods, I can't wait for the first version of working Reveal... the Dwarves are utterly doomed. Truly, the depths are a place of strange wonders...

Reveal2: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Utilities

Oh man, I peaked at my current fort with that tool (after making a copy to avoid save data corruption).  That thing really makes you appreciate how absurdly common the new mineral veins are...
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 03:23:44 pm »

Personally, I can't wait for the 2010 justdigitout and Dwarf Therapist.

Don't need the justdigitout program, there's a file in the init folder called 'Announcements'.
Inside you can change the settings for all announcements. If you want, you can make it so you -never- get paused or recentered for -anything-

I already changed mine so there's no pause or recenter on hot/wet cancels.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 03:25:22 pm »

Minerals sure are common. My first and current fort, on a hastily chosen mountainside, is merely a hall and a 1-tile shaft going down into the depths. I can see hematite poking out of the mountain everywhere, and my solitary shaft revealed rich deposits of gold, copper, flux and even more iron.
This may be a good idea, because it means we can now spend less time genning the perfect plot of land and more time building awesome forts.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »

Minerals sure are common. My first and current fort, on a hastily chosen mountainside, is merely a hall and a 1-tile shaft going down into the depths. I can see hematite poking out of the mountain everywhere, and my solitary shaft revealed rich deposits of gold, copper, flux and even more iron.
This may be a good idea, because it means we can now spend less time genning the perfect plot of land and more time building awesome forts.
This. Things like neighboring civilizations and interesting landforms are now more important than avoiding the boredom of capping off at stone goods.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 04:47:27 pm »

man, this new version sounds so cool. can't wait to be able to download it.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3