Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Holy Paradigm Shift  (Read 4193 times)

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Holy Paradigm Shift
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:56:59 am »

For me, DF had become about masonry, and now it's about mining.

My 2010 fortress is just a ramp spiralling (way) down to an expansive cavern, which I'm treating as my surface level.  It provides me with wood, plants, water, and freakass abominations animals.  Traders, migrants, and seige armies alike will have to go that extra mile (literally) to make a carpet of corpses glimpse the glittering beauty of our halls.  I think none of us will ever see the sun again. 

It's funny that I'm more excited about cowering behind a muddy hatch cover in a pitch black Avernum than building an impregnable tiered castle or giant statue of anything topside.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Paradigm Shift
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:01:48 am »

Yeah, it is pretty crazy. I'm a bit surprised at how deep you do have to go to run into cavernous Fun. I'm fairly conservative (though boroughs are a godsend, if I can get them figured out) so my bases rarely span more than 6-7 Z levels total, including waste levels for plumbing or magma routing. Finding out that most fun is waiting 30-40 levels down is a bit shocking, so I'm making a beeline for the core.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:17:02 am »

I need to do some exploratory mining obviously o_o;
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:44:31 am »

I settled on compromise scenario, with farms being at caverns levels, and most of industry above caverns. So its just inverse of my 40d designs, with forts spanning between cavern and surface.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:24:51 am »

Yep. As soon as i saw my 67 or so Z-levels below the surace. all I could think of was
"wow. Every fort is now going to be an odd mix of Moria and the Underdark"

Awesome.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:41:11 am »

I just found my first magma sea only at z level +80, so I'm reconfiguring my fort with it at the bottom and the top of my fort being my highest of 3 caverns. The top cavern is pretty much a farming level, and I have ramps carved away for protection.. At least, I assume I'm protected. I even discovered my magma sea to the tune of some Moria music ;D.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:45:27 am »

I have 42 levels and found my sea at 30-ish....I normally don't go more than say 8 or 9 levels so I have some getting used to.

Although it defeats the purpose of underground, I'm thinking of having multi-z-level houses underground to get used to it. Like Undergrotto, but more city-like
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 04:18:41 am »

The idea that every biome has magma and [almost?] all magma is buried deep was a stroke of genius.
Who wants to dig deep if the only thing you'll find is granite and microcline?  Now we have a reason to delve, any map, anywhere.

From now on every fortress will be a Dwarf Fortress.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:20:56 am »

I have 42 levels and found my sea at 30-ish....I normally don't go more than say 8 or 9 levels so I have some getting used to.

Although it defeats the purpose of underground, I'm thinking of having multi-z-level houses underground to get used to it. Like Undergrotto, but more city-like
I'm happy because I'm now able to have my housing in the middle of my fortress yet many z levels away from any noise. Also, this opens up the reasonable possibility of having plumbing channels filled with water underneath my main housing level.

GAGA Extrem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 04:22:24 am »

I just found my first underground cavern.

It was so epic that I finally registered to the forums (was lurking around for two years or so), simply to type this message.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:24:06 am by GAGA Extrem »
Quote from: Spiegel Online
Madness has it's method in Dwarf Fortress [...] It is probably one of the most realistic computer games of the world[...]. It makes you laugh at the developers of all the modern shiny graphics games who try to create a "living world".

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 07:24:30 am »

Man, I feel the same way. Just broke through to my first cavern, and the feeling is just... GOBSMACKED. I'm in awe.

So far I'm setting up a temporary little fort at the surface, while I get some exploratory mine shafts down there. Just whoa. Toady you've outdone yourself again. <3
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:07:01 am »

I am utterly in shock at the awesomeness that lurks underground. Gods, I can't wait for the first version of working Reveal... the Dwarves are utterly doomed. Truly, the depths are a place of strange wonders...

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:13 am »

20-30 zeds? Gosh, I'll have to get cracking, won't I? ... Wait, did I build my defences on the outside? Woops.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 10:08:00 am »

Pro tip, I've discovered that selecting the up/down staircase designation, and clicking where you want it while holding down the < key, is the easiest way to do long staircases.

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 10:08:53 am »

gems and ore everywhere.  I no longer bring a stonecrafter with my seven starting dwarves, it's all metalcrafting and gem cutting from here on out.

Also, found my magma a whopping 130 z-levels down.  I'm not entirely sure how to harness this, with a massive cavern network between the magma and my fortress (which rests at z-levels 4 through 14 or so).
Pages: [1] 2 3