Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Rail system?  (Read 2427 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rail system?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 11:02:00 am »

Kittens can kill giant toads so why can't a fully grown cat pull a wheelbarrow?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>
..and what will be next? cannons?</STRONG>

why not? human canons appeared in 12 century, in the hight of the middle ages and were cut out of stone, and loaded with mostly mineral fuel (the only thing that wasn't a mineral came form purifying [or just adding whole] of bat excements which after found... you guessed it in caves and mines!), so it should be pretty easy for dwarfs to make one. off course it would be a highly inefficient one- oh say like a ballista but more damage and less accuracy.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 11:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>
why not? human canons appeared in 12 century, in the hight of the middle ages and were cut out of stone, and loaded with mostly mineral fuel (the only thing that wasn't a mineral came form purifying [or just adding whole] of bat excements which after found... you guessed it in caves and mines!), so it should be pretty easy for dwarfs to make one. off course it would be a highly inefficient one- oh say like a ballista but more damage and less accuracy.</STRONG>

I would prefer magic over weapons like cannons. This is a fantasy game afterall.

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »

But considering that we are getting Gunpowder soon, I'd much rather have a use for it (I.E cannons) than let it sit away and rot. Like the poison that is currently in the game.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 04:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Anticheese:
<STRONG>But considering that we are getting Gunpowder soon, I'd much rather have a use for it (I.E cannons) than let it sit away and rot. Like the poison that is currently in the game.</STRONG>

I just hope that the game won't give up on the real fantasy setting....adding gunpowder to DF mode would be a bit too much imho. Especially since we would be able to wipe the AIs quite easily in that case for sure. ["Cannon spam" would massacre the AI armies very easily I am totally sure about that, just like in all other strategy games with a medieval setting -with cannons in the game-.] Basically the AIs can never handle area dmg weapons like cannons.
+ Like Ive said, we need magic and not gunpowder + cannons, at least IMO.
Anyways, I wont care if we will be able to remove gunpowder + cannon [if there will be any] from the game with modding.    :)

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 05:30:00 am »

Hmm, the most serious problem of mining might be: you need more haulers as you dig deeper.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Axehilt_VuP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>Rail system? I dont like the idea to be honest. It wouldnt really fit into a fantasy world.</STRONG>

Mining Carts totally fit into fantasy worlds, particularly where Dwarves are involved.  This is a great suggestion.

Tallim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

You wouldn't necessarily have to have a rail system, Bins + Wheels. Make really heavy bins quicker to move. Obviously they would run better over smoothed rock as opposed to rough flooring.
So you could use haulers to get the rock out of your main mining area and into the carts. Then haul/push/pull the carts out.
Cats always land on their feet, finding the feet after is the trick.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tallim:
<STRONG>Bins + Wheels. Make really heavy bins quicker to move. Obviously they would run better over smoothed rock as opposed to rough flooring.</STRONG>

I'd suggest having them require smoothed floors.  That would add an interesting mechanic, in my opinion.

0x517A5D

Tallim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by 517A5D:
<STRONG>

I'd suggest having them require smoothed floors.  That would add an interesting mechanic, in my opinion.

0x517A5D</STRONG>

Actually that would be my preferred mechanic. Otherwise there would be dwarves running about all over the place with wheely bins. Requiring smooth floors adds another needed demand to engravers.

Cats always land on their feet, finding the feet after is the trick.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Otto Germain:
<STRONG>I browsed briefly through the suggestions and didn't see anything like this, but don't shoot me in the face if it's been mentioned already...</STRONG>

I've mentioned it on at least one occation myself.
We've seen mine carts, horse/mule/dog drawn carts, wheely-bins, and backpacks.

IMO I'd like to see mine carts and track just because of the fun you can have building your own Dwarven Rail system and the fact that it doesn't add a bonus (moving lots of goods at once) without a penalty (requires laid track which doesn't go everywhere) unlike carts and wheelbarrows (even if you require smoothed floor--just means your deep mines are inaccessible....for now).

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 07:17:00 pm »

but would you be able to build rails onto floor covered in rock?
( in my opinion you could just engrave rails right into to the floor)
I think both ideas should be implimented
The great game of Warlocks!

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

My god. Do you realize what you've done?!

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon

"...before 200 BC...."

So apparently the idea of the cannon has been around a long time, it just wasn't made into a perfected killing weapon until later on.

I have no doubts that the dwarves would be able to take a simple idea and expand apon it.

Even steam power should be acceptable in a fantasy game.

Fantasy... Well what does that mean? Well the most basic definition == made up or not real.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fantasy

So having steam power and electric power, guns with clips. There all good ideas since this is a fantasy game and it has no boundary's and is not restricted to history.

If this was a Realistical game then we could say well, this can go in, or this cant go in, because its not historically correct.

A fantasy game is not limited by the boundary's of our own world, If it does then well. Its not a fantasy game no more, is it?

If this is a fantasy game, then anything should go as long as toady wants it to go. Otherwise you guys need to stop bickering about whats suppose to be in a fantasy game and whats not suppose to be. Because in a fantasy game anything goes...

Every time someone brings up a good idea, you guys bash em because its not historically correct, well guess what, this is a fantasy game, its not suppose to be historically correct....

ok my rants over...

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by The-Moon:
<STRONG>If this is a fantasy game, then anything should go as long as toady wants it to go.</STRONG>

Pretty sure Toady has specifically stated that all technology after the 1300s in Europe is verboten.  I may have the year wrong... but it explicitly removed a lot of possible stuff.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4