Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Underground Life in DF 2010  (Read 5591 times)

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Life in DF 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 10:29:23 am »

My favorite so far has to be the PlumpHelmet Men.  Simple, yes, but it presents a disturbingly delicious conundrum for the vegetarian dwarf: "Am I eating a mushroom, or the children of the PlumpHelmet Men?"  [Wicked Smile.] 

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 10:30:44 am »

Well I encountered a troll which just didn't want to die. Took 2 months of fight to kill him.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:23 am »

Are there any Magma-Creatures? If not, can they be modded in with magma seas as a biome? I would really love to see magma kraken and magma whales fighting.

Yes, I just checked the raws and there is a magma crab with the [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA] tag, which when applied to a whale/sea monster should make it appear in the magma sea.

( be sure to give them magma resistance too though)
Just made this by combining whale and magma crab parts selectively
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it'll work, hopefully so.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 10:54:17 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 11:08:57 am »

Has anyone else encountered the dreaded Jabber besides me?

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 11:12:29 am »

Jesus christ.

He really went all out with the "Random creatures" thing >_>;

Want to see some scary examples?  Go into the Legends for your world and browse the historical figures for the forgotten beasts.  I got everything from giant skinless monkeys to Rine, Steam-Man of Water.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:39 am »

Jesus christ.

Want to see some scary examples?  Go into the Legends for your world and browse the historical figures for the forgotten beasts.  I got everything from giant skinless monkeys to Rine, Steam-Man of Water.
Bah! I got this in my second world,
 "Sut was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. An enormous blob composed of flame. It has two long, straight tails and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its poisonous sting! Sut was associated with water, murder and caverns."

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 11:20:22 am »

Jesus christ.

Bah! I got this in my second world,
 "Sut was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. An enormous blob composed of flame. It has two long, straight tails and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its poisonous sting! Sut was associated with water, murder and caverns."

Must be Rine's parent, like a burning Grendle's mother.  Which begs the question, "Who the heck mated with that?"

*shudder*

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 11:34:13 am »

No, but I did encounter some unfriendly fish-people that had a bunch of Jabber-leather items.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 12:39:33 pm »

Well I encountered a troll which just didn't want to die. Took 2 months of fight to kill him.
Was a bit quicker here, but thats due 20 dwarfs beating it while it was unconscious. They ripped out each his finger and toe, horns and tusks, and i saw teeth flying around.  Seemed like they torture the troll intentionally.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 12:42:08 pm »

Was a bit quicker here, but thats due 20 dwarfs beating it while it was unconscious. They ripped out each his finger and toe, horns and tusks, and i saw teeth flying around.  Seemed like they torture the troll intentionally.
heheh yeah well with me the fight started with 2 war dogs. I was too afraid to send my dwarves in. After a month i let my dwarf help figuring the troll was unconsious ^^
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Gbroderix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 01:23:24 pm »

i have.
It ripped the leg off of my unfortunate dwarf adventurer, who had fallen down a hole after slaying a dragon, which he had slayed like a day before but went back fo' some loot, went all the way down, found water. (And i pressed shift+a and saw hungry head o.o so i attacked it and fell 33 z levels, then i couldnt find the way out, and kept exploring, killing all sorts of wierd things.)

It attacked him when he was rounding a corner, and pushed him down a ramp, and it then ripped off his leg, and it died with one hammerstrike to the head, but my dwarf was fine (other than the ripped off leg) but he was running out of food fast, and died, all alone... so far from home. so far...
Quote from: Mechanoid
A troubled boy. I'm kind of afraid of his next plan.
Scamps, pet cat has toppled a computer!
Toady One, Developer has lost a masterpeice!
Toady One, Developer is throwing a tantrum!
Three Toe has been struck down!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »

I like cave blobs, laugh all you want, but the reasons I like them is 1: they don't attack 2: they can be trained 3: they only have one body part.

o o U oo

:P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 01:52:58 pm »

Ooh, I found a Jabber yesterday. I sent my dwarves down to dig as deep as they could and then a Jabber ate them.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 02:14:57 pm »

I'm still waiting to see things smooth out with 2010 and get some good feedback from other users on how to do things with the military, burrows, farming, etc. before switching versions--that, and I'm somewhat attached to my current fortress--but these bits with forgotten beasts and deep caverns just fill me with joy. I'm reminded of Gandalf's description of the depths far below Moria, where "nameless things gnaw the earth". It really adds a whole new dimension of wonder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4