Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Underground Life in DF 2010  (Read 5584 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Life in DF 2010
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

MAGMA CARP!
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 03:48:27 pm »

I'm going to drain the water from my irrigation system into the Underground.

I figure it'll help rid of me of that scary Giant Cave Spider down there. :(
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 03:58:15 pm »

I did something like that. I found an underground ocean, I wanted to know if it would refill if I tried to drain it. So I got to the layer under it and dug up. I had a 14 z level waterfall until it was flooded. It crashed my game but the ocean never did get below 3/7.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 04:58:14 pm »

As I said In Paradigm Shift I'm gonna try to drain some of my Volcano into my cavern, just to see what happens, Then Probably run my ocean through a purifier pump, and dump it onto the lava.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 05:28:54 pm »

I just found something called a hungry head and its only bodyparts were a head and a left and a right wing
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »

The first underground creature I found was a Giant Cave Spider. It took months for all webbed dwarves to be freed, and there were 5 casualties. (I didn't have a military yet, so I had to recruit random civilians to fight) It eventually went down when a mob of 10 wrestlers jumped it. Later, a Cave Crocodile emerged and my new soldiers spent a few months chasing it all around the fortress, looping again and again. It never actually harmed anyone other than the soldiers, though, and was caught by one of the cage traps at my entrance. Next, some Elk Birds (bird's head with the antlers of an elk) put on a tough battle, wounding my military (who were immediately sent to the hospital), and wounding some new soldiers. (At least I had some disposable Cheese Maker migrants!) At last, I finished the walls that protect the fortress from the underground fight after defeating a lone gremlin who snuck in.

Plus, there was a food scarcity beginning when the Giant Cave Spider attacked the cook and brewer. Only one dwarf died from it, though. (Not counting the dwarf murdered by a depressed miner)

At last, I have a caged Elk Bird and a caged Cave Crocodile, time to start a zoo. :D

titan-rex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Crazy dinospartus Rex
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 05:40:07 pm »

Its a shame this runs Amazingly slow on my toshiba laptop on vista, But ive had amazing fun so far, i managed to dig into a giant underground cavern with a lake and forest and tunnels and .......a massive camp of troglodytes and their pals........ after ages of fighting all of my starting seven were dead part from the woodcutter cause he had an axe, then he got killed by a thing that parently had lots of human finger like legs.......

I screamed at him for like five minutes, then got bored and strted another fort, this time creating a Throne out of the skulls of my enemys (metaphorically, although it might be something to make a mod for in future :D)
[CANCELS_SOCIAL_LIFE: REASON: DWARF FORTRESS]

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 05:57:49 pm »

On the other hand, one of my carpenters walked right through a GCS web (a small collectable one, though) without getting stuck or anything. I haven't seen any of the large webs from the previous version.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »

If there are magma fish, could a dwarf theoretically fish in pools of magma?

Looking through my Legends...

I got Cona Moistdepth, a blob of salt with a spiral shell and a gaunt appearance. It's associated with water, suicide, and caverns.
...The blob of salt is named Moistdepth and is associated with water.

There's a hundred of these forgotten beasts...that's normal, right?

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 06:35:40 pm »

I sent my first 7 dwarves to dig up a fortress underground, and it was doing well at first, only a gaint olm attacked but it was quickly fended off by the dwarves.  Finally I got some migrants and I was feeling like I had control until all hell broke lose.  It started with a giant cave croc attack which managed to kill off two of my dwarves before dieing.  Then a group of trogs found my little camp and decided to begin raiding.  They would come in two at a time, attack one of my dwarves, and then run off deeper into the caverns before I could manage to counterattack.  These raids killed two dwarves and sent the rest into a tantrum spiral that crippled the camp.  After that I decided that all hope was lost and abandoned.

For my next fortress I was planning to use a fortress layout that I was working on in 40d, until I found out that over half my fort will be ruined by the fact that I discovered a cavern only 8 levels from the surface (WTH?).  I have decided to not let this stop me and so I will build through the caverns, using walls and floors to build over open air.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 12:09:55 am »

My first cavern was <10 levels below surface too. In subsequent embarks (I decided to start over once I had the new stuff figured out) they've been much deeper, but the only part of the worldgen parameters that was different was the above-ground z-levels. Huh.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 01:07:16 am »

Heh. Random critters are silly.

An enormous eight-legged stegosaurid composed of coke.

Sweet, fuel for my steel production! :D

Then theres another one that is an enormous blob of vomit. It is aptly named "The Spittle of Vomit." Beware its deadly spittle! Oh, and it's associated with water, disease, and caverns. Fun.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 02:55:06 am »

Say, what is the average depth people are finding subterranean caverns?
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 04:26:41 am »

Say, what is the average depth people are finding subterranean caverns?
I found my first cavern about 20-30 below surface, second 40/50 third 70/80 and magma sea somewhere in the low 80s

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 05:07:54 am »

All I get are bloody Dralthas - basically, underground lions.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4