Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Melting items - mc2=?  (Read 2849 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Melting items - mc2=?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

quote:
That's like quitting Morrowind because there's no horses. It's madness!

Madness? This is SPARTA!

P.S. I just seconded there're too many "madness" words in the forums =).
And where do you think the metal disappears? Where do you think the benzin from petrol station disappears? Look in the dwarves' chests, they MUST bargain your resources and call it "working losses".

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

Keep in mind that dwarves are the only civilization that can make steel in this game, you insensitive clod.

Think of those poor bronze collosii.  They are practically living in the stone age.  They're happy they can melt down a third of your steel after stomping on your fortress.

igless

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

If quality for metal bars is implemented, then it would be easier just to make it so you get a metal bar back but at -1 quality.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>If quality for metal bars is implemented, then it would be easier just to make it so you get a metal bar back but at -1 quality.</STRONG>

Except we don't know that quality for metal bars will be implemented. And many metals don't downcycle.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

The melting melting return could be figured into the raw of the metal itself. Precious metals that are easy to melt and don't corrode should have higher return rates. Gold, for example, is saved in even the most minute of quantities.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

Does it also bother you that smelting three bolts gets you a bar, whereas a bar gets you 25 bolts?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 12:19:00 am »

quote:
Recycling one ton of steel saves 1,100 kilograms of iron ore, 630 kilograms of coal, and 55 kilograms of limestone.

Correct me, but a Ton is exactly 1000 Kilograms isnt it? If anyhow it goes the other way around from 1100 Kilo iron, 630 Coal and 55 kilo Limestone you get 1000 Kilo aka a Ton of Steel.

Toady had mentioned somethere the DF-Time compared to our world is around the year 1400. Around 1400 there was not that Hitech we use today hell i believe they hadnt even known Coke (wiki says invented in 1713). But i think the lose of 1/3 of the stell is from the smithing methods not from the recycling. You know heated Metal and Oxygen.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

andris-berzins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

If you say that it`s fantasy game and physical laws dont may not working then why other realistic stuff? Water? Caveins?

P.S.
man ar slikti ar angļu valodu, tapēc nevaru jums tik labi argumentēt savu viedokli! Nu, piedodiet!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 02:02:00 am »

You need some common Ground a common set of rules everyone understands. Most Highfantasy Games are born dead because the the seting is to insane or chaotic and nobody understands the special rules in this Highfanasy world. For example if we dont have gravity why arent there hundrets of floating islands?

Next thing if you are programming a Game thats simulates a World you have to chose which Physical laws etc. you are implementing because the game has to be playable and has to run on a normal PC.

The last is in a good simulation you need some natural chalange in buildig your fort or what ever without it would be boring. A simulation is a Simulation because you have to fight with the 'nature'. If there is only War with Infinite resources where is the Fun?

The Limitation of the recycling is done because it keeps you mining/trade Limestone etc and to disallow hunderts of semi Artifakt Armor, weapons etc and all your dwarfes being Legendary at all Smithing Skills.

P.s. English is hard enougth for me latin or Dwarfisch is killing. Please keep writing english or give me a translation.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 05:41:00 am »

Dwarves place a high value on metals. They would not approve of wasting it more than they have to.

When you melt/smelt something, you should get between 1/2 and 8/9 of a bar and _____ slag. An alchemist can turn that slag into the component parts with acids and such, giving you the remainder. This also allows them to extract non-metal elements found in ores, like sulpher.

ilnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 05:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Heph:
<STRONG>

Correct me, but a Ton is exactly 1000 Kilograms isnt it? If anyhow it goes the other way around from 1100 Kilo iron, 630 Coal and 55 kilo Limestone you get 1000 Kilo aka a Ton of Steel.
.</STRONG>

depends on the tonne

laugh in the face of danger,
then i run away.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 06:51:00 am »

I mean the metric ton - usually referred to as a tonne, is 1,000 kg (or 1 Mg) or approximately 2,204.6 pounds - as wiki says.

Maybe adris is using the old ton longweight with 2,400 pound/ 1130 kilograms but i dont believe it. On the other hand the ton longweight comes from the iron industry.

I probably just confirm the stereotype that Germans are overcorrect. What have i done?

Proud to be a Furry.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

Just don't act too organized for a bit, and it'll pass unnoticed.

andris-berzins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

P.S
I just wrote that its hard to argue in English if I am bad at it.

It`s just a common law that if I melt something then I don`t lose mass very rapidly. When I was small I sometims used to melt tin or lead on gas stove - and I did not lose 2/3 of it. Actualy there was no loss. Maybe 0.1% just what evaporates ?   :) i think someone would not understand if I played in garage with
gas welding equipment.

andris-berzins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

and I think dwarfs are better at handling with metals than 12-16 old kid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5