Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Struggling with the new military  (Read 1123 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Struggling with the new military
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:59:50 pm »

I made myself some marksdwarves, made them a target range, gave them some some crossbows, but I can't seem to get them to train.

At one point they got the attend archery practice job, but they wouldn't do it and just stood where they were. I think they're still set as civilian and I don't know how to set them as military

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with the new military
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:23:40 am »

I tried making an axe squad as well, but no one seems to want to pick up their weapons or armor. One of them sometimes does individual training or something and started training himself to be an armorless wrestler, but the rest just seem to stand around

I don't think my crossbow dwarves want to pick up their weapons either

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:22:17 am »

I order for you dwarfs to pick up their equipment you have to have a "manager" noble to actually hand out their equipment. Needless to say he has to be currently unoccupied for the job to go through.

As for training:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military/Guide

Except with an archery range if your making xbow dorfs.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:44:20 pm »

Thanks, didn't realize there was an arsenal dwarf now. Interesting addition

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »

Now my archers seem to be trying to organize a dodging demonstration in the archery range, fascinating. Learning to dodge arrows?

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:04:17 pm »

Am I missing something? The dwarves I select as squad members don't become soldiers, and they just stand around and do jack, as in, permanently on "No Job" apart from the militia commander, who trains by himself. I have an arsenal dwarf and a manager, barracks where the squad is set to train, and they are on the active/training schedule. They just don't seem to want to do anything. Fairly sure I followed everything in those links correctly... any help would be appreciated.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:06:57 pm »

Make sure you have quivers. Dwarves will not train without a quiver to hold their bolts with.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 03:08:30 pm »

I'm trying to train axedwarves, so I wouldn't expect them to need quivers. I've three dwarves in the squad and four training axes, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Edit 2 - In the squad menu the setting "t:Sched - Inactive" gets dwarves to train if they have no combat skill, while setting it to t:Sched - Active/Training only makes them train if they have some combat skill.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:50:53 pm by TotalPigeon »