Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Your first death (likely spoilers)  (Read 6864 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your first death (likely spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2010, 12:41:33 am »

Mosus Eshtanlemis, Sworddwarf. His bravery would prove to be his downfall. Interestingly enough, he was always the first to charge in, and by this time in my young fort, he had already become a talented sworddwarf. Que a GCS a little too close too my fort; in a rather feeble attempt to prevent civilian casualties, I sent my 5-man (technically 4-man, one was injured while fighting a cave crocodile, and I got my first taste of the new medical system) squad to take care of it. This was my first fort, so I was expecting them to get annihilated, and have a good reason to start anew.

Mosus, however, had other ideas. He proceeds to valiantly strike at the GCS, holding his own while the rest of his squadmates were barely down the shaft. He was actually doing pretty well until he was hit by a web and knocked over. One of his squadmates, a green speardwarf, was only squares away before the spider landed a mortal blow, stunning him. Perhaps if they could defeat it fast enough, the doctors could get a good look at him...

Much to my dismay, the speardwarf was equipped with only a wooden training spear - of all the weapons I had produced, I had yet to produce spears, the least dwarvenly of all weapons. I will have to 'consult' with my armorer later about this. Valiantly, but futilely he fought, but his inexperience proved his downfall; he fell unconscious shortly after taking a yellow wound to the head. However, by now, Mosus was enraged (not actually in-game, but I'd like to believe he was). Using the small and precious amount of time bought by his fellow speardwarf, he held the enormous spider in a lock.

By now, his comrades arrived to view the grisly scene: two wounded dwarves, an untouched spider. But Dodok Likototin, militia commander, saw his chance; with the spider occupied by Mosus's lock, he could strike. Grasping the axe he had used to fell trees, he moved to fell his foe. Valiantly, Mosus continued to grip the spider, directing its deadly webs towards himself, giving his comrades a fighting chance.

Finally, Dodok connected a strong blow. Stunned, the spider let go of Mosus, and he collapsed onto the ground, unconscious. He had done all his body would allow him to do (for the record, he was fighting with at least dark brown wounds on almost every part of his body; thanks to recently forged iron helms however, his head remained uninjured. He had become a legendary fighter in the process). The fight raged on, Dodok and his companion (alas, another useless speardwarf) raced against the clock to secure the area for civilians to rescue the wounded Mosus. He would finally land a blow to the spider's head, ending its life, but not before it had acquired a name: Vimtomen, Giant Cave Spider. Just moments earlier, Mosus had bled to death.

Mosus Eshtanlemis, you will be remembered dearly in this fort.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:51 am »

Cave-In. I forgot the exposed area of Magnetite would drop ceilings on me if I mined it all out. got my miner-Armoursmith.

Really? There's been a few points in the underground where I *thought* there should have been a cave-in if I pulled out the support, and nothing happened.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2010, 03:00:48 am »

Entire fort dehydration.  But wait, this is not the normal kind of dehydration.

I had been digging downward in an attempt to find these magma oceans so I could setup some proper smelting facilities.  I was on my third cavern and there was quite a bit of traffic down there as it was rich in trees, water, plants, and the like, unlike the previous two which had been barren.  Well out of nowhere a troll decides to start pulping a plant gatherer.  Mobilize the troops!!

And so for a total of 2 seasons my soldiers wrestled and stabbed the troll that would not die.  The battle took place right at my central stairwell that had pierced the cavern.  At the time, all my dwarves were down in the caves.  Everyone tried to climb the stairs to get a drink, getting scared away by the troll, instead of digging the backup access tunnels I designated to escape.  No matter what I did they would not drink the water.   Everyone died of thirst next to a massive cave pool.

I hate trolls.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2010, 04:53:03 am »

Death from FPS. With my first fort. I need a better computer.

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2010, 11:44:12 am »

The death: A soldier tantrumed, and whacked a sleeping mechanic several times with a wooden training sword, causing mild skin irritation until the poor annoyed mechanic got up and ran away. This made the soldier feel a lot better, but he was sentenced to a beating and 51 days in prison. The beating was administered by the sheriff, of course. Who was carrying an axe. One hell of a messy dismemberment followed, and dwarven justice was satisfied.

The lesson: Never EVER let a woodcutter be your sheriff.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2010, 12:49:34 pm »

That dog I mentioned earlier that had its "eye" gouged out and moved to the graveyard stockpile?

Yeah, the dog's still alive. And it was an eye tooth (or canine, if you will) rather than an eye, oops.

Second death: A recruit went mad out of nowhere. Might be that I left a kill order on for too long by mistake. Also the outpost liaison fell down the well and I'm not sure how I'm going to get his body out of the cavern pool.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2010, 01:00:53 pm »

Some snatchers were in the base, and I had flipped the lever for the entrance bridge-lock, and as a result, the dwarf chasing got crushed by the raising bridge. On the plus side, I now had 3 goblins stuck in a closed off hallway, and i could position dwarves on both sides to slaughter them when it was opened. Unfortunately, there were two goblin squads waiting in ambush outside when I tore down the wall around my aboveground farm, providing an poening into the heart of my fort.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2010, 02:19:29 pm »

My first death was a backfiring pump that swept the operator into the river.

My second one, that lead to my fort being destroyed, was a dwarf in "scout armor" (helm, chain shirt, shield, sword) that tangled with a couple of bat-man blowgunners. With poisoned bolts.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2010, 03:12:44 pm »

1st fort - Trying to discover all the new features, forgot to set up a farming system... Oh hell, lets go fishing and hunting then! Turns out there is no fish in the brook, no fish in the pools and my only hunter is trying to bash the animals with crossbow and an empty quiver even though I have wooden bolts he could use. I guess allowing those to be used in combat doesn't work or I haven't figured it out yet. Everyone died of thirst, hunger and insanity.

(Might be a spoiler about new mood requirments.)
2nd fort - I get my first troublesome mood where a fey dwarf wants  body parts. I don't know how to fix that, so I check the dwarf wiki and nothing has been added yet, so I try to figure it out on my own... I need body parts... I decided to go hunt with my axedwarf to try and get body parts out of an animal, but I simply can't kill them because I can't get my dwarf to grab his axe to use it to fight... First time I put him in the military, I forgot to assign him an axe and he refuses to pick it up... Wrestling a deer doesn't kill it at all, so I go with my second solution, I decide to butcher a stray puppy(I am heartless, I guess.) and it worked! The fey mood dwarf goes and finish his artifact! Woot! Later on, second fey mood dwarf and he also wants body parts... No problem! I butcher another puppy... It doesn't work... I check again, he needs gems too... I start digging for some, find some, but he still don't move. I butcher an horse, a donkey, another puppy and a cat, but that is not enough body parts since he doesn't move. Eventually, he goes insane and I go "screw it" and when he dies of thirst, a snatcher steals a child and there starts a spiral tantrum.

1st adventurer - Trying to find a hydra whose lair is into a large cave system, died of thirst.

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2010, 04:17:09 pm »

Man everyone else made it to cool apocalypses. I started a fort on an aquifer map, things went fine until I constructed my first wall - drowned my primary miner when he got swept into a water-filled channel at the bore site and couldn't figure out how to path to the stairs one tile next to him or use the ramp he was standing on... which was just as well, because at that point all the other dwarves had forgotten how to use stairs too, and alternate between being unable to get down to finish the dig or wandering down, digging one square, and then getting stuck there for a month. Have since been mostly save/reloading and cooling down the dwarves' starvation-related tantrum spiral (the food stockpile was underground, and guarded by the Many-Stepped Menace).

Carp massacres were one thing, zombie groundhogs okay, but I think I gotta draw the line at dwarves being terrorized by inanimate objects. That's silly.

Second, one-story fort a squad of goblin ambushers camped out on my front lawn chasing my broker back and forth, when I eventually tried to sneak someone out via the back door a bastard kitten got out as well and led the whole gang into the fortress where they merrily slaughtered everybody, starting with my unarmed military. Was sorta satisfying, actually, at least the cats are as horrible and malicious as they should be.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:26:06 pm by Some Internet Guy »

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2010, 04:34:15 pm »

So my first serious fort in the new version, I embarked with no items (except 2 picks and an axe), no skills, and 6-7 cows. this was not actually the source of the Fun. In fact I got a very successful fort going. Between breeding and trading I eventually had a big ol' herd of cows. Butchering all the bulls lead to a steady supply of beef and tallow. After some gathering I set up a strawberry farm outside the entrance. My dwarves were living the good life, eating beef and cheese roasts, sipping on strawberry wine. traded for everything I needed (high quality meat and cheese roasts are still fairly valuable despite food getting generally nerfed for trading).

I had a small military, outfitted in Leather, and training for about 2 years with wooden axes. I forgot to buy them metal ones from the caravan, and I hadn't started any metal industry at this point (I never found bituminous coal/lignite and after spending ages with 40d where i'd always embark with a magma pipe and use magma forges, I forgot about making charcoal from wood), but I figured eh whatever. In 40d a well trained dwarf could kill 2 goblins at once, naked. not so much anymore. Two ambushes showed up at once around year 3, clad in iron armor and wielding silver spears. Most of my military was slaughtered right up front, taking down maybe 3 of the goblins. 4 rampaged around my fort causing much death before they eventually wandered off.

My military commander however fought with 3 goblins at once for a full season. after she finally expired, half the fort was dead and the remainder were in full trantrum spiral, so I dumped the river into the remains of my fort.

sharpneli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2010, 03:21:37 am »

"A Lavender Monster diplomat from .... has arrived". In essence humans sent me a forgotten beast as a diplomat. I eagerly followed what might happen. When the lizard monster diplomat reached by base instead of opening doors it bashed them. My fancy silver doors went into dust. As it walked around like a normal diplomat it just bashed everything, at this stage I thought it was intentional and the beast just decided to kill us. 'Goddamn saboteur' I thought as I rallied my dwarves to slaughter the bastard.

As I issued the kill command nothing happened. The result was same as I'd assigned kill command to one of my own dwarves (e.g nothing). It seems that a diplomat is considered controlled by my fortress, so I was unable to kill it. It proceeded to deconstruct buildings which made surviving slightly difficult. It seems that I ran into a bug where a monster arrived as a diplomat correctly but the buildingdestroyer tag made it smash everything by accident.

Despite the bugginess the feeling when a forgotten beast arrives as a representative was something which makes me eagerly wait for less buggy version.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2010, 08:16:58 am »

I think my first Dwarf died when an group of immigrants arrived... the river was frozen over in early spring, so the immigrants happily walked over it, despite the fact I've set a good portion of the river as restricted. And then suddenly the ice melted and a few of them fell in and drowned... fun.

What's more interesting is how my first fortress failed (apart from the half dozen I managed to flood while setting up an irrigation system, that is). Most of my military was comprised of crossbowdwarves who didn't use their crossbows; they also decided to put on the iron plate chests I prepared for my hammerdwarves (sidenote: can haz wooden training hammer?), despite the fact their uniforms contained mail shirts.

So when the goblin ambushers came, I had a dozen crossbowdwarves unable to shoot and about 8 macedwarves with no armor. Oh, and my barracks were constructed into the hillside and the topside walls weren't quite ready yet, which meant the goblins could happily walk into the middle of my practicing army, evading all the traps set up at the front gates...

It didn't take long for my entire fortress to be slaughtered after that and I just abandoned it. Watching the crossbowdwarves trying to clobber armored goblins to death was fun though.

Dood

• Bay Watcher
  • !!piggy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2010, 09:18:17 am »

It proceeded to deconstruct buildings which made surviving slightly difficult. It seems that I ran into a bug where a monster arrived as a diplomat correctly but the buildingdestroyer tag made it smash everything by accident.

Just assume he's the clumsiest diplomat ever and go with it.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2010, 10:49:20 am »

I built a bridge two z-levels up, stationed a dwarf on it and pulled the lever.
He dropped, broke both legs, his shoulder and his arm. Then he died.
Turns out z-levels hurt more.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6