Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Your first death (likely spoilers)  (Read 6862 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your first death (likely spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2010, 01:40:50 pm »

ITT:The dwarves dug too greedily and too deep.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 01:58:20 pm »

A lizard-based forgotten beast showed up during the 2nd summer (or was it 3rd?) and took out 14 dwarves before my hastily summoned military could polish it off.  Left the resulting mayhem running, to see how long it would take for the inevitable crash and burn...

Now another forgotten beast has come, this time made of ash.  Guess I'll task the military with killing this one and see if anyone survives.   >:(

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

Lets just say all of this talk about HFS and their hidden locations made me want to find them. They flew up and the bad things happen.

Also anyone know how to find those evil temples?

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2010, 04:26:59 pm »

First death for me was after i dug into the cavern layer and everything was fine for a while, just a few crundles and dralthas, no big deal...........then A GCS COMES OUT OF NOWHERE AND AMBUSHES ME!!!! 
he killed 2 of my guys and injured one, but i got him.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2010, 04:30:38 pm »

There's a new version? cool!

But wait... why is everyone telling of stories that murder their dwarves in the first year so bad that it leaves them so emotionally drained they are doomed to walk the earth devouring pizza and cats?

I'm scared...  :'(
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 05:38:23 pm »

forgotton beasts + gremlins = no respite = "your strength fails"
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 05:52:16 pm »

After a little underground exploration, my farmer was attack by some underground creature. After spending half an hour finding out how to set up a hospital, my doctor begins diagnosing him. Part way through, another underground creature causes my dwarves to cancel things. I send my small militia after it and when they were near the edge of the map, another underground creature starts beating the shit out of the farmer, giving him a slow, painful death. :D

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 05:59:02 pm »

There may come a day, when the strength of Dwarves Fails, BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 07:07:56 pm »

Cave-In. I forgot the exposed area of Magnetite would drop ceilings on me if I mined it all out. got my miner-Armoursmith.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 07:15:58 pm »

A giant olm came up one of the shafts I had put down looking for the caverns. The military made quick work of it, but it killed a new recruit and gouged a dog's eye out in the process. That's my only death so far (hey, I haven't played much yet.)

The dog's still alive as far as I can tell, but his eye was moved to the graveyard stockpile.  :o
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »

My first deaths consisted of dwarves too stuborn to drink something while working. alas, the alcohol concentration in their blood dropped steepl, making them delirous and eventualy resulting in death.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »

My first death was actually many dwarves and animals dying because of an epic poisonous dragon of mine. One of my dwarves went into a fey mood. He later went berserk, as I had no idea what he wanted. So I went to my nobles screen and appointed the Ranger near the dwarf as sheriff. Many hatchlings of my dragon were in the room, along with two adults. Dragonfire was everywhere, half of my dining room was incinerated. The dwarf was paralyzed because of the poison, so my dragons proceeded to munch on the poor dwarf. My highly skilled Ranger could only get three shots off before the berserk dwarf died. What I am assuming happened to everyone else was that since the dragons breathed so much fire, the poison got released into the air and half my fortress died of a combination of severe fevere, nausea, dizziness, coughing blood, pain swelling, oozing, bruising, bleeding, necrosis, paralysis, drowsiness, and blisters in a matter of seconds. It was quite epic.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2010, 10:18:33 pm »

I breached a cavern with my central stairway and nothing came out. I was then ambused by two squads of goblins in a few seasons after getting two small migrant waves. The first goblin squad had crossbows, so I ambushed them at the fort entrance with a bunch of unarmored wrestlers plus one copper axedwarf and 2 copper mining pickdwarfs. The dwarves managed to knock the first goblin squad unconcious from pain with the incapacitation of all but four dwarves out of over 20. Those final dwarves were killed while they struggled against minor injuries to finish off the heavily wounded crossbow goblins. The most impressive part is that one of these unarmed dwarves set to use preferred weapon became a maceman instead of a wrestler, and I also found a goblin severed arm near him. After this the goblins finished the rest of the wounded dwarves at the fort while a giant eagle appeared from no where to finish a wounded dwarf who had collapsed near the map edge.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Flaming Monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2010, 11:45:35 pm »

An un-glorious death in which a berserk fey mooded fisherdwarf wrestled a stray dog until he died of thirst.  The dog ended up with red all over and some spots of yellow.  He lasted a good while before dieing of an infection.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2010, 12:24:46 am »

Three words: Zombie Giant Eagle.

Cursed thing flew into the main entranceway and parked in front of the entrance of the barracks/armory, thus preventing any dwarf from getting the axes inside. Due to laughable misunderstandings of the military and squad screens, the woodcutter who was actually holding an axe abandoned it in order to try and punch the eagle to death, and rapidly lost his ankles for his trouble.

Desperate to save him, I managed to draft everybody into a squad and threw them at it, resulting in a writhing pile of 7 dwarves, 3 picks, and a Zombie Giant Eagle in the middle of the hall. It didn't even kill anybody; it had every part of its body mangled and its organs turn cyan (whatever that newfangled color means) and was reduced to flopping around on the floor while the fortress population tried to subdue it. I tried to ignore it, but since it was right in front of everything important and I hadn't gotten a farm up yet I ended up losing everything to job cancellation spam.

In a bid to finish it, I sat and watched for a month and a half of game time as my fortress tried to kill it. No food, no booze, no water, no sleep. This combination eventually drove my planter to go berserk, and was immediately decapitated with one of the miner's picks. The rest succumbed to thirst, hunger, or insanity until the sole survivor was rescued by the dwarven caravan guards who handily hacked it in twain, but starved to death before he could catch some vermin to eat.

Best 8 hours of my life.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6