Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Your first death (likely spoilers)  (Read 6869 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Your first death (likely spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 01:25:15 am »

Well, I've finally had my first full fortress death in the new version.  Double goblin ambush in the first winter.  My novice military (I'm still trying to get a handle on the new training/stationing stuff) didn't stand a chance, even though the goblin crossbowman was shooting silver bolts.  I'd forgotten how much fun losing can be.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Ryko Nailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 03:20:39 am »

I was doing so well, got all sorts of irrigation systems going flawlessly, broke thru aquifer, all in a freezing arctic wasteland in the middle of nowhere. Fought off some things that lurked below without a scratch. And what killed not just my first dwarf but nearly a dozen of them? Channeling and causing a cave in sending them all plunging into a pond and the pond then freezing instantly around them. I also suspect more deaths due to batman invasion that are in the newly exposed to the world cave. One day dwarven kind will remember to think before you channel.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 03:23:10 am »

Giant toad decided to wreak havoc among my 15 dwarves while my only skilled axedwarf wanted his waterskin all the way at the other end of the fort instead of aiding the other dwarves which I all recruited. They did all die, those that didn't have enough injuries to overwhelm a docter or are tantruming.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 03:24:48 am »

Well I was digging, just looking for new underground features, so far on two forts all I've found are obnoxious useless caverns. Anyway, I got killed by a GCS. The AI is a lot better, it is no longer an ambusher and systematically hunted down all my dwarves (Hunted, not happened to notice one and chase it, hunted)
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 09:43:42 am »

Mine went:

Urist McFisherDorf cancels fish: Interrupted by grimeling
Urist McFisherDorf has been struck down

Draft 3 dwarves and have 2 dogs (not war dogs) jump into the fray.
3 seconds later I check the wounds on the grimeling. I see brown wounds on about half his body and think "oh good, they're fighting him off."

Then I check the wounds on the dwarves and dogs. All 3 dwarves are unconscious and nearly dead, as are both the dogs. I watched for another few seconds before abandoning.  :-\
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 09:55:26 am »

Anvils are cheap. Bring them.
Second mood was a metal crafting one, the dwarven traders had just left and my dwarves were starving, so I used all my trade goods on food instead of the anvil I would normally get. He was right in the middle of my meeting area when he went berserk. Luckily he only got a dog before my epic milker/axe dwarf cut him in half. I wonder why I got a metal mood this early, I usually NEVER get them (even in decade-old forts). Maybe the massive amount of of ores lying around inspired him.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 10:57:17 am »

Nobody's died yet since I just embarked, but I have 639 Z-levels to play with and a resident dragon on this map.

I'm going to have fun

EDIT:Wild elephants too. This just keeps getting better and better.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:08:57 am by ed boy »

Darkphyre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 11:04:47 am »

The beginning of the end for my first 2010 fort started from this...

Stray Dog cancels clean self, Interrupted by Blind Cave Bear.
The Stay Dog has been struck down.

My dwarves were then overrun by Blind(!!!) Cave Bears in mid spring of the first year while still digging out the fortress.

My lesson? No more temporarily sitting outside while the fort is dug. Fortify myself NOW!   ;D

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 11:44:31 am »

I started in a haunted area, so you can probably guess the rest..

A skeletal fox turned up, so my 3 war dogs/2 normal dogs got stuck into it. Things escalated and before long all 7 of my starting dwarves had got involved. The undead abomination stubbornly refused to die - I left things running, and before everyone finally succumbed to hunger/dehydration and misery they all reached legendary skill in fighting and wrestling. Next time I will remember to bring a weapon (and avoid haunted/sinister areas like the plague).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 12:15:15 pm »

I keep telling everyone, the undead are tough!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Drutin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 12:32:49 pm »

My first fortress didn't go down from undead, but it still went down pretty fun. I was only building a fort to test out the new version, decided to dig down for more ores because they were EVERYWHERE. Figured out farming, hospitals, and military to an extent before I hit an expansive underground cavern that had no occupants. My dwarfs rushed down to gather silk and lured a forgotten best up from the depths. Military dwarfs killed him no problem, with only wooden training weapons. I finally got decent copper equipment for them, kept digging down until I hit a sea of magma. I quickly figured out you can dig through the adamantium and not die, did that and hit hell. 2 minutes later I had one dwarf left, a wood crafter. Draft that mofo! A one eyed cicada demon rushes him. they have it out and it ends with him missing a leg and a hand, and the demon dead. the rest just kind of stood there until he bled to death. I even had migrants show up and go down to try and help him to the hospital only to be slaughtered by the horde of demons, but they didn't touch him.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 12:54:54 pm »

Its only 3 zombie raccoons, surely my 15 raw recruits can take them?
    -unarmed unarmored, didn't know about arsenal dwarf
    -no carried food, drink, arrows; hadn't found that menu option

8 deaths caused by starving/dehydration/sleeping on the field of battle (4 or so months worth of battle). The coons were fainted pretty much solidly.

I got them though.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 01:27:09 pm »

I'm hoping he dies soon, but hasn't yet. One of my starting seven has been being beaten on by this troll for nearly a season, and isn't dead yet. at this point, the troll is tired as hell form beating on the poor guy, but is otherwise unwounded. I have to thank Urist McTrollBait for giving me time to prepare my defenses, as I had previously forgot to actually put something resembling defensive structures at the entrance I made to the Cavern.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 01:28:46 pm »

Just don't forget to avenge your dwarf!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

honaker215

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 01:34:34 pm »

I had a gemsetter posessed by a mood, I still don't know how to see what they actually need, so he just feared as a malcontent bastardwarf until he finally went berserk.  So I decided that it was a good opportunity to learn to commision military dwarves.  I drafted a leatherworker and three peasants into a squad and gave them the kill order.  They proceeded to wrestle/fumble him to death because I didn't have any weapons.  They finally killed him, but not before he severely damaged the squad leaders middle finger.  I zoned a hospital and the injured dwarf slept in the floor and became very dehydrated and starving despite me having a vey competent cheif medical dwarf until he finally died on the floor from a broken finger after being ignored for a good hour or so... 
The 'Poor Spelling' Bolt hits Sentence in the head!
It explodes in gore!
Sentence has been struck down.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6