Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Your first death (likely spoilers)  (Read 6871 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Your first death (likely spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 03:02:55 am »

A troll ran up from nowhere and started scaring everybody... I assigned a three-man squad to take him down, but they decided that it would be a good time to sleep as the troll beat my crafter/doctor to death.

I would say they got what they deserved, though. He went up and killed two of them in their sleep, then the third one in a very short tussle.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 03:03:36 am »

My first casualties were caused by dark gnomes.
I was happily designing mah fortress, when these annoying folk appear. Couldn't find a way to just draft nearest dwarf so he would get rid of them, so i make a squad and manage to activate it, then give kill order. It was all good till 'recruit ... has drowned' started to appear one by one. Turns out, squad was ambushed by alligators. And seems they dont pay attention to other hostiles when have kill order.
Amusingly, when remains of squad caught one of gnomes, only commander engaged in melee. Rest of squad surrounded him and was just looking on the match. Makes me wonder, whether it is intentional or not, cause wrestling is pretty much useless in DF mode then.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 03:08:55 am »

Hi!

My first deaths which made me abandon my first fortress were caused by a troll who lived in the caverns of the underground civ I had on my map. I did figure out how to have my military kill the troll, but still, that was after suffering casualties. And the units of the civ were also listed as hostile, so that fortress was basically doomed.

Lesson learned: Hostile means hostile.

About carp: I also had some carps on that map in the surface stream (I must have mistakenly embarked near a river and not a brook. I did get some job cancellations for fisherdwarves, but there had been no fighting and no casualties until I remembered to set orders to "zone-fishing only".

Deathworks

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 03:17:00 am »

My first 'strange mood' - a tailor.
I hadn't figured out the new rules for underground farming, so I had no pig tail production.
So I was suddenly in a race against insanity, irrigating and waiting for the plant to GROW!

- I lost, but the new direct kill order for my protosquad was indeed effective.  ;)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 03:38:12 am »

Hm, seems like a lot of new forts die to trolls. ;)

Edit: and I die to a damned siege ambush without a military or any defence, IN THE FIRST YEAR!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:40:05 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 04:12:55 am »

Hm, seems like a lot of new forts die to trolls. ;)

Edit: and I die to a damned siege without a military or any defence, IN THE FIRST YEAR!
Yeah, I'm really liking the new fear of trolls. Also, can siegers break down walls?

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 04:15:10 am »

I had a miner dig into a

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goldsie

• Bay Watcher
  • Tears the throats out of wolves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 04:24:45 am »

a merchant marksdwarf and hammerdwarf have been fighting a skeletal goat for the last 3 MONTHS these things are bloody unkillable. Their caravan left a very long time ago.
http://springrts.com/

play it, love it

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 05:55:27 am »

A Jabberer. It killed my proficient wrestler/axedwarf with no problems, and a raw recruit I sent in after it leveled up to Elite Wrestler in a few seconds of wrestling it before dying.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:14 am »

A Jabberer. It killed my proficient wrestler/axedwarf with no problems, and a raw recruit I sent in after it leveled up to Elite Wrestler in a few seconds of wrestling it before dying.

Yeah, I had the same. I had an axedwarf that killed a whole colony of Grundles without problems, and then ran into a Jabberer. He managed to inflict two slashes and went instantly to Elite Wrestler. He was then ripped in two by the Jabberers beak all Starship Troopers style.

Funny enough, the Jabberer died of blood loss from the gaping wounds in it's legs shortly after - which was awesome.
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 06:55:14 am »

A forgotten beast.

"A towering feathered moth. It has three long, spiral horns and it squirms and fidgets. Its fern green feathers are downy. Beware its deadly dust!"

The "deadly dust" turned out to be two different breath attacks, one boiling and the other a freezing one. And it basically screwed over my military of two axedwarves and one axe lord super fast. Oh, and it flies. It first makes the dwarves dizzy with the breath attacks and then bites them to death when they can't resist. And the fact that marksdwarves don't work at all because of bugginess meant that I couldn't do ranged attacks at it :<

Currently watching my entire fort die horribly.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

GuyonBroadway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 07:06:50 am »

A forgotten beast.

"A towering feathered moth. It has three long, spiral horns and it squirms and fidgets. Its fern green feathers are downy. Beware its deadly dust!"

The "deadly dust" turned out to be two different breath attacks, one boiling and the other a freezing one. And it basically screwed over my military of two axedwarves and one axe lord super fast. Oh, and it flies. It first makes the dwarves dizzy with the breath attacks and then bites them to death when they can't resist. And the fact that marksdwarves don't work at all because of bugginess meant that I couldn't do ranged attacks at it :<

Currently watching my entire fort die horribly.

Why do it get the feeling that you actually got off lightly.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 07:07:32 am »

Hi!

a merchant marksdwarf and hammerdwarf have been fighting a skeletal goat for the last 3 MONTHS these things are bloody unkillable. Their caravan left a very long time ago.

I recall seeing other people reporting that it is impossible to kill non-living opponents now.

That would explain the low life insurance premium for the goat (^_^;;

Deathworks

P.S.: Now I am (slowly) preparing a big basin to fill with water so I can flood the first cavern I find. But this will probably take a few years (^_^;;

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 07:25:23 am »

My first fortress mode death was when I took the adimintium sword and as a result unleashed a horde of &
Lesson Learned: Leave Upright adimintium swords alone

First adventurer mode death, I froze to death in a pond.
Lesson learned: Ice is bad.

Binamrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:36 am »

I had made up my mind to dig as far down as quickly as possible when the new version was released, and so I did.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6