Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Your first death (likely spoilers)  (Read 6861 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Your first death (likely spoilers)
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »

So, the new version certainly changed things around, and even experienced players can now make what will be stupid mistakes in a few months. 

What bug/feature/misadventure/fun killed off your first dwarf in the newest version?  And because I'm a firm believer in educating the masses, what lessons did you learn from this experience?

For me, it was digging down to an underground cavern, attempting to seal off a nice-sized plateau via channeling out a few choice sections, and getting a rude awakening when a miner was killed by a cave crocodile coming up the ramp that channeling now leaves behind. 

Lesson learned: Channels aren't moats!

Edit: Apparently, looking through the combat reports, it wasn't the cave crocodile that did the poor sap in.  In fact, the crocodile did absolutely nothing, except charge and knock the miner into the water.  After that, all his bites were deflected by the miner's pig tail socks and cave spider tunic, and the miner suffered no injuries until drowning.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:46:25 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your first death (likely spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:45 am »

I dug as deep as I could, and found out the hard way that vertical adamantium veins often hide empty pipes that go down several z-levels into HELL.  Meaning, it might be best to find another way through the magma lake than the convenient adamantium vein that isn't semi-molten rock.

All in all, it was a Fun experience, and I was mostly curious what the new system had to offer.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:10:23 am »

Might want to spoiler things about the Z-150 and below region even in a spoilery thing like this.
For me, it was the fact that no turtle meat I bought had shells D: So a possessed dwarf died.  Pity, I was hoping for some awesome artifact ._.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:12:19 am »

I dug as deep as I could, and found out the hard way that vertical adamantium veins often hide empty pipes that go down several z-levels into HELL.  Meaning, it might be best to find another way through the magma lake than the convenient adamantium vein that isn't semi-molten rock.
But boy, was it awesome to see, huh? For those who'd like to see bits and pieces, I've uploaded a map here.

Might want to spoiler things about the Z-150 and below region even in a spoilery thing like this.
It says spoilers, they were warned.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:22:00 am »

For me, it was the fact that no turtle meat I bought had shells D: So a possessed dwarf died.  Pity, I was hoping for some awesome artifact ._.
Ah, well, I'll spoiler anything I find out about when I get below -150Z.  I found DEATH at -45Z.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:53:30 am »

First death was at +1Z from deadly rain. It might have been boiling, or possibly frozen and thus hitting my dwarves like bullets, but either way I had four dwarves missing their upper halves.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:56:17 am »

Didn't lose any dwarves in fortress mode so far, but I've had two adventurers die. My very first adventurer died when he was sent to kill the Law-Giver of a neighboring town, who was some kind of badger-devil that kept expelling boiling poison.

I can't tell how much the boiling poison was hurting, it didn't tell me, but in two rounds of combat I was severely bleeding and in severe pain.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:31:21 am »

My first death was an adventurer, I went to destroy an entire town, and had killed off most of the citizens.  I was feeling good until I wandered into the mayor's house where apparently all the remaining survivors gathered to ambush me.  Three children and a maceman at bottom floor, two rangers sniping me from the top with a fisherman guarding the only path to them, and by the time I realized I was in trouble two more citizens entered and blocked the door out.   I managed to kill one of them before my hand broke and I dropped my sword where I attempted to crawl out only to suffocate to death from the thousands of attacks.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:35:21 am »

Man, mine's not even that INTERESTING. I just had a miner in a cave in drop into 7/7 water.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:37:27 am »

Urist McDoomed cancels fishing: interrupted by Carp.

:(
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:38:16 am »

Urist McDoomed cancels fishing: interrupted by Carp.

:(
THE CLASSIC!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:45:48 am »

My first death in fortress mode was a miner, as a few others have experienced. He didn't die from a cave in though, he undermined an area, then as I was channelling the floor away above the area he slipped with a small cave-in. It didn't kill him, just crushed his foot. He even went back to work (though he was in a lot of pain), however I couldn't work out for the life of me how to set up a hospital.

I tried all ways, tried just setting up beds, tried making a room from a traction table, etc. Nothing worked. I found out finally that you need to set it up using the zones menu. I think he was just getting diagnosed, or was on his way to get diagnosed, when he died due to the infection that had taken hold in his foot. Doh!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 01:53:14 am »

Friggin skeletal Troll, it was invincible, all my dwarves, and all my dogs, even a reclaim with hammers/axes, it never died!, here's a tip for everyone; DON'T DIG DOWN TO NEAR THE BOTTOM LAYER UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Right now, I had to fight a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He was no problem, but my farmer and all of my dogs bled out, making one of my miners berserk and the other stark raving mad. Thank GOD for those migrants!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:58:35 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 02:27:20 am »

An Ogre showed up while my dwarves were still running around outside. After messing around with the military screens for a while, I gave my woodcutter a kill order to take the monster down. The guy drops his axe on the ground and rushes the ogre with his fists, gets beaten to a pulp, and then thrown into a pond where he downs.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:46:54 am »

no one died YET, but i did figure out that you have to put water down in order to farm. >.> *facepalm*

EVERYBODY is hunting for vermin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6