Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Picking max z-levels in world gen  (Read 2187 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Picking max z-levels in world gen
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 09:19:04 am »

Huh, I thought it was "Jerry-Rigged" because of the WW2 thing, not knowing about the earlier nautical stuff...

I figured it made sense, what with how German tanks were kept together with pretty much chewing gum and Duck Tape in the latter parts of the war.

Anyway, how did you guys do these 151 z-level embarks on flat surfaces?  My maps only go down 30-some-odd layers on embark...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 11:09:35 am »

It's really starting to occur to me how awesome my computer can be, because I got a 150-z-level map and things are running smoothly at a nice playable FPS with 20 dwarves.

It almost seems pointless to have that many layers when Fun will block your way halfway down though.  ;)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:20 am »

It's really starting to occur to me how awesome my computer can be, because I got a 150-z-level map and things are running smoothly at a nice playable FPS with 20 dwarves.

It almost seems pointless to have that many layers when Fun will block your way halfway down though.  ;)

I have a theory that its more efferent FPS wise to have vertical z depth as opposed to X-Y  space
Thank you based dwarf.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 11:25:24 am »

Well, most of that 150 z-layers are going to be solid rock, which doesn't take up any real calculation when you get down to it. 

A 4*4 embark has 44.4% the horizontal space (and we are talking about roughly 300% the vertical space), but it also probably doesn't have as many exposed, calculation-using water tiles or creatures...

And the REAL killers of framerate are massive quantities of items like stone, large numbers of pathfinding calls from moving creatures (and making the game more vertical helps here, too, as it is faster to path through a cube than a more squat rectangular prism), and flow calculations (which only matter on the "top floor" of a body of water).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 11:52:19 am »

Are... are you guys serious? Are you actually talking about that? Can we get back on topic?
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 10:58:33 pm »

Didn't want to offend anyone by being blunt, but I'd really like to find out and no one seemed to want to answer my question. By the way, epic derail, LoneJedi. First post...
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 11:05:58 pm »

Check init.txt
Then check the wiki. Then check the world gen parameters AGAIN.  Do this like 5 times, then call for help.  THIS. IS. DWARF. FORTRESS.

On a more serious note, I have no friggin clue. Go figure.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 11:21:53 pm »

Found it!

I was looking for this myself for quite a while. Here it is in the worldgen parameters (in the data/init folder): [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:X]. Presumably X can be set to max. All the other stuff's there too.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 11:37:55 pm »

Found it!

I was looking for this myself for quite a while. Here it is in the worldgen parameters (in the data/init folder): [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:X]. Presumably X can be set to max. All the other stuff's there too.
Actually, I was looking for the z-levels below ground. Thanks for trying though, and this will also help.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 11:39:25 pm »

Actually, I was looking for the z-levels below ground.

Bollocks, I must've skimmed right over that. Still, there's a whole bunch of details in worldgen.txt - I just copied one line, but I think there's five for above-ground and ditto below. Your answer's probably there.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 11:53:52 pm »

should I reveal how I made my map with 50 z-levels below ground... nah.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »

should I reveal how I made my map with 50 z-levels below ground... nah.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks Vieto! Does your map have all the new super fun features?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 12:07:50 am »

Heh, I just made a default world (Create New World Now option) and the first site I settled had 201 layers all total.

Surprisingly my FPS was still maxing out at 200 even after I had dug down 180 or so z-levels and ran into some hidden fun stuff. Even with all that mess I was getting 200 FPS, although I guess it might be that I'm on a much faster processor than I used to have (e8600 @ 4ghz).

Then suddenly my game saved and kicked me out. Looking at the legends, all my dwarves suddenly bled to death for no apparent reason (the HFS hadn't yet made it out of the super long tunnel, and my military dwarves never engaged). The last thing I saw was my miner come out of the tunnel, dashing past the stationed military to run for a drink, then suddenly I'm saving the world and back to the start screen, with the legends telling me they all bled to death, even the one way away gathering plants. :D
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21:49 am »

You can increase the number of cavern layers and space between them in the worldgen parameters, if you want more underground z-levels.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]