Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Picking max z-levels in world gen  (Read 2191 times)

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Picking max z-levels in world gen
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:44:01 pm »

I heard you could set how many underground z levels there are in the new version. How can I do this?
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
Re: Picking max z-levels in world gen
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:48:34 pm »

im not sure whats going on with the z-levels right now....i just got a standard map with exactly 150 z-levels.    let me empasize this ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY Z-LEVELS, GAAAAAHHH....i have a lot of digging to do to get to the magma z-level. 

i could hear my fps crying....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:50:50 pm by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:56:36 am »

Yeah, I just finished on a map with about 130 z-levels. I was only able to dig down to about level -50 before...bad stuff happened.

I'm rather curious as to whether someone can jury-rig reveal.exe so that one might actually take a look around at all those crazy layers and see what's happening.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:37:55 am »

I want the option put into the .init to start with everything revealed >_>; FPS failure or no, I'm curious.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

BaronYiffington

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 01:48:06 am »

My current map has 171 z-levels. It isn't even on a mountain - it's on a flat field. Took me 150 levels and digging through two underground caverns to find the "semi-molten rock". Now I have to find the magma.

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:10:39 am »

Yeah, I just finished on a map with about 130 z-levels. I was only able to dig down to about level -50 before...bad stuff happened.

I'm rather curious as to whether someone can jury-rig reveal.exe so that one might actually take a look around at all those crazy layers and see what's happening.

check on the wiki, the fix for reveal is there.

The underground is surprisingly...surprising. Y'know.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 02:28:29 am »

check on the wiki, the fix for reveal is there.

The underground is surprisingly...surprising. Y'know.

Thanks!  :D

I probably should have checked there myself, but the heads up is much appreciated  :)
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 03:35:31 am »

I'm rather curious as to whether someone can jury-rig reveal.exe

Lol I always thought that was 'jerry' rig. Then again when I was little I thought chest-of-drawers were 'Chester drawers'
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:22:25 am »

Lol I always thought that was 'jerry' rig. Then again when I was little I thought chest-of-drawers were 'Chester drawers'

sorry for the OT, but jury-rig and jerry-rig are the same thing effectively, I think jerry-rig is newer usage, possibly of American descent, but I know both can be used he same way.

back on topic, I've not had chance to play much, so all I've done is the standard embark, flat(ish) wooded surface and 167 total z levels... freaking awesome.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:55:28 am »

sorry for the OT, but jury-rig and jerry-rig are the same thing effectively, I think jerry-rig is newer usage, possibly of American descent, but I know both can be used he same way.

back on topic, I've not had chance to play much, so all I've done is the standard embark, flat(ish) wooded surface and 167 total z levels... freaking awesome.

Jury Rigged is a term, originally nautical, from the 1700s. Different etymologies have been presented, some being:
-Jury being a contraction of "Injury" (A repair to an "Injury" the ship sustained. "We rigged up the jury")
-Jury's Latin root, "To help, aid, assist" (We rigged up a fix, to help)

Jerry Rig is a derivative that emerge around World War 2, originally in British soldiers, referring to German ("Jerry") engineering in a (not necessarily deserved) derogatory manner.

The term has always amused me, especially because "To jury rig" could also refer to the act of "rigging a jury", or Jury Tampering.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 08:00:37 am »

Jury Rigged is a term, originally nautical, from the 1700s. Different etymologies have been presented, some being:
-Jury being a contraction of "Injury" (A repair to an "Injury" the ship sustained. "We rigged up the jury")
-Jury's Latin root, "To help, aid, assist" (We rigged up a fix, to help)

Jerry Rig is a derivative that emerge around World War 2, originally in British soldiers, referring to German ("Jerry") engineering in a (not necessarily deserved) derogatory manner.

The term has always amused me, especially because "To jury rig" could also refer to the act of "rigging a jury", or Jury Tampering.

Wow.
I always thought the term originally came from "rigging a jury".

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 08:06:51 am »

Actually I always thought that it was "Jury-rigged" (haphazardly put together) and "jerry-built" (poorly or shoddily constructed), but I suppose that just like Dwarf Fortress, the english language is in a perpetual state of "alpha release"  :D

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 08:35:47 am »

im not sure whats going on with the z-levels right now....i just got a standard map with exactly 150 z-levels.    let me empasize this ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY Z-LEVELS, GAAAAAHHH....i have a lot of digging to do to get to the magma z-level. 

i could hear my fps crying....

Pft. 269 z-levels, and not that fast computer. FPS 5-6 from the start.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 08:37:29 am »

Yeah, but the English language isn't quite as fatal...  Not to say there aren't those who murder it. In the face.  A lot.

Actually I always thought that it was "Jury-rigged" (haphazardly put together) and "jerry-built" (poorly or shoddily constructed), but I suppose that just like Dwarf Fortress, the english language is in a perpetual state of "alpha release"  :D
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 08:47:39 am »

It's more fair to say that it's in a constant state of flux. a hundred years from now (hell, probably sooner) OED could accept "lol" as non-slang. Really, slang is just used (by formal dictionaries) as a way to describe words whose etymology is certain that were invented by non-academics.

If enough people use "Zork!" as an interjection, then it's an interjection.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."
Pages: [1] 2