Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: So... crops, anyone?  (Read 10249 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So... crops, anyone?
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2010, 10:15:55 pm »

I love how it's "a dusting of mud"...

@Qloos: has the "mudstone floor" changed to "muddy mudstone floor"?

Yes, from the first moment it was touched by water.  However,  I was unable to plant crops.  This may be from the fact that it was not underground.  It was indoors through.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »

confirmed the wet and dry tags do nothing. I tried WET, still the same, tried DRY, still the same.

Its stupid you have to irrigate mushrooms. Soil is naturally super moist, at least enough for a couple mushrooms.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2010, 11:05:39 pm »

I hope when this bug gets fixed, that it's something we can control from the raws.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2010, 11:09:43 pm »

I ran into the "mud doesn't work" thing too.  I'm not certain what caused it, as the only really noteworthy trait of that particular tile is that the mud was created when I'd dug up a sort of skylight configuration over the area (meaning natural light got down there).  All of the other tiles I irrigated were subterranean.
Sanity is for the weak.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2010, 11:39:39 pm »

^If you ever dig away the top to the sky, it becomes "outside" and only plants surface crops, muddy or not. 

That said, I kind of like the current system, the bug here is not requirement for irrigation.  The bug is that the game tells you you need to irrigate even above ground, when you don't.  It should tell you when you need to (and how to get it, ie. water leaves mud) and tell you when you don't need to (ie. the message should disappear aboveground and when mud is present)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2010, 11:52:28 pm »

I'm fine with mud being required, like in 2D. However with water scarcity it might be a bother. Maybe just have a really low yield on (underground) soil alone?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2010, 12:37:54 am »

Even if Toady makes it a feature, I think it should be optional. I can't channel or pump or whatever for the life of me.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2010, 04:29:54 am »

I'm hoping for an option in the init file:

[SOILFARMING=YES/NO]

With yes meaning we can grow crops straight onto soil, and no meaning that we need mud for crops.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2010, 05:41:20 am »

I'm hoping for an option in the init file:

[SOILFARMING=YES/NO]

With yes meaning we can grow crops straight onto soil, and no meaning that we need mud for crops.

I thought of something similar, but with [FERTILITY=#], where # goes from one to ten.
1 would be completely infertile like gravel or stone, 10 would be mud.
It would be used to give the fertility level for soils and the required fertility for crops.
Might be tough to implement, but I feel it would be very useful and would likely be easy to adapt into crops modifying the fertility of a certain plot.

Stormcrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2010, 07:34:26 am »

That could work. Or use a [FERTILITY=#] property on each material, and then have a [FERTILITYOFFSET=#] option in the .init file which is added to every material.

If you set the scale from -10 to +10, with anything below 1 being 100% unusable, then you get perfect control. Each level of mud adds +1 to that square's fertility.

Normal fertility, you just set FERTILITYOFFSET=10.
Mudfarming/oldskool: FERTILITYOFFSET=5-6
Farming on anything(and I mean anything), FERTILITYOFFSET=20
Quote from: Max White
When it crashes the game, its a bug. When it causes mass homocide, its a feature.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2010, 09:54:51 am »

That could work. Or use a [FERTILITY=#] property on each material, and then have a [FERTILITYOFFSET=#] option in the .init file which is added to every material.

If you set the scale from -10 to +10, with anything below 1 being 100% unusable, then you get perfect control. Each level of mud adds +1 to that square's fertility.

Thats probably the best idea so far.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2010, 11:00:30 am »

WORDS
There is a third option - dig up all the gemstones lying around like candy.  give them a quick cut and polish, then trade them for all the food you'll ever need.  No farming, cooking, brewing, perfect.
Yeah, there's tons of gems lying about, especially in the new version. My first fortress I started on the new version had a Star Sapphire exposed to the surface! It was crazy.

mythmonster2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:33 am »

This is actually a great idea! Make soil start by default on 10, so the newbies don't have to edit anything, and the oldskoolers can make it 5 or 6 (or -10 if they're masochistic)
Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
And neither can I...

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2010, 12:30:24 pm »

Wow. I post one question and an entire debate springs up around it. For the record, I actually like having to irrigate. Since the things in the Embark window appear cheaper now, it makes some sense. I bring extra food and put together a good set of farms right off, as I'm building my well system, which is also one of my first actions upon striking the earth.

"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

DanielZKlein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2010, 08:47:38 pm »

So what would a normal, clueless, "have no idea how to irrigate" person do in 0.31 so that his dwarves don't starve? Never relied on fishing/hunting/trapping before. Would it be feasible to bring some above-ground seeds and plant those in an outdoor farm? Or should I just wait for this bug to be fixed before I try for my first embark?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8