Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: So... crops, anyone?  (Read 10255 times)

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So... crops, anyone?
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2010, 03:41:27 pm »

players who dont want to take the time to study the wiki or search/ask in the forum when they get stuck at a certain point are just lame and probably just cursory passersby anyhow. :P

yes because only the hardcore should be allowed to play DF  ::)

On a Celeron 266 no less! >_>
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2010, 04:11:10 pm »

I'm surprised you people even use floodgates, levers, mechanisms and the whole deal.

I just went the easy route, made hole down to the farms, at the surface there was a murky pool. Made a quick pump and sent enough water down to cover it (carefully stepping as the operator was on the pump).

Of course, a floodgate design with carefully calculated levels of water is pretty fun stuff, but I was in a bit of a hurry for my first fort to create basic food.

I only used the carpenter for this as well, so it's low tech.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2010, 04:13:48 pm »

Seems like currently the most low-tech way to do it will be the fake-pond trick, since that just takes some buckets.

That is, of course, what I'll be doing, since I've flooded no less than six forts just trying to make a well... I have relatively poor 3D spatial sense, so I tend to notice far too late that my channel goes right through a meeting hall.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:24 pm »

I just found a pond and dug my crop area right next to it then breeched the wall and let it all flood and drain.

Since I try to be tidy I originally dug into the hill the pond was in as a drain and walled it all up when it was done before connecting it to my little fortress.  Walled up the breech as well and hoping the pond fills back up.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »

I can say it should go back to the way it was, if only for the fact we *do* still want new players coming

Yes... because the farming is the main barrier for new players... -_-

:P

You cannot with any honesty say that this would *not* be, given your choices without murky pools are:

-Hey KIDS!  Dig into caverns and get bum rushed by 133 troglodytes! O_O

or

-Hey KIDS!  Flood your fortress and DIE!

Plus, mechanisms, are not a first for most people, given their complexity and taking time away from food and booze production.
There is a third option - dig up all the gemstones lying around like candy.  give them a quick cut and polish, then trade them for all the food you'll ever need.  No farming, cooking, brewing, perfect.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »

Usually in the late game, half of my fort is dedicated food storage.  ::)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2010, 05:31:49 pm »

Plus, mechanisms, are not a first for most people, given their complexity and taking time away from food and booze production.

Actually for the longest time I've been bringing a skilled mechanic with me on my forts. If you embark on a region with abundant flux/obsidian, you can easily produce enough mechanisms to buy out the first caravan, and have enough traps to defend yourself too.

That being said, I built an outdoor strawberry plot and used a renewable flooding system for my first plots...

Convienently, I started right on a murky pool, so I just dug under, found some soil, dug a large plot, added a floodgate and drainage grates, channeled to the floodgate, linked the gate to a lever, added a door to the plot entry, locked that, pulled the lever till some water had entered, then pulled it back and let the water drain/evaporate.

I'm currently digging deep to find magma and hope to move my stuff down to the caverns, but for now that area will do to provide food for the dwarves. Already had two migrant waves!

In my older forts (typically flat for some reason) entire (2x2?) layers were used for housing and storage...
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2010, 05:32:30 pm »

For me, it's a move back towards the farming system of the 2D version.

So: awesome!

Completely agree!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2010, 06:02:40 pm »

It REALLY isn't that hard to build a farm next to a pond, then just open up into it and let the water flow fortress wise, knowing that by the time it fills your farm it will be at 1/7 or less.

Greyjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:34 pm »

...I just use herbalism -> surface farming.

Admittedly, my supply line down to my exploratory team is a bit.... logistically complex by this point.

Huw_Dawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2010, 06:51:02 pm »

Actually that's a good point. Farming inside is now an equal hassle to farming outside (due to outside being vulnerable to nasty stuff).
Urist takes over shop
Materials he has not
Pants now adorn halls

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2010, 06:52:20 pm »

I've been watering a rock floor with buckets.  It started as a regular mudstone floor.

Then I added a bucket of water and it read:
A dusting of mud

I added another bucket and:
A small pile of mud

Added a third bucket and:
A small pile of mud Still.

Continuing to bucket to see if it's possible to get farm plots with bucket irrigation. 

... The source square that was being flooded has not been updated, however, a spot that was left to dry and was re-saturated 2 tiles away has turned to:
A pile of mud

The game still states that there is No mud for underground farm - mud is left by water.  For that square.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:00:17 pm by Qloos »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2010, 08:08:24 pm »

I love how it's "a dusting of mud"...

@Qloos: has the "mudstone floor" changed to "muddy mudstone floor"?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2010, 08:33:16 pm »

Where are people getting the information that it's a bug? Looking at the raws, underground crops have the [WATER] tag (or at least a similar one, I only checked yesterday) whereas other plants have have [DRY] tag and don't need irrigation. It's obviously a feature.

If you look at previous versions of the game you'll notice that the subterranean plants had [WET][DRY] tags too and you could still plant them just fine.  ;D

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2010, 09:52:06 pm »

So is this a bug of feature? More importantly, is it possible to irrigate via bucket-brigade? I've yet to start a farm in the new version (gearing up to breach a aquifer, something I avoided when possible back in the old versions. Can't find fresh water without one though, so I'm stuck). Just want to make sure I'm not wasting time tossing buckets'obloodwater into dirt just to have to rush to build a waterworks. Something I was planning on putting off until I had a few migrants to beatplace into digging.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8