Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: So... crops, anyone?  (Read 10267 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So... crops, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 11:57:46 pm »

you know... dwarves shouldn't need to drop water from 1 z-level up in order to get a tile muddy.... =/

Though I wouldn't consider it too high priority.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 12:07:00 am »

Surface crops work fine.  If you think your dwarves can stomach wild strawberries and prickleberries it might be a good alternative.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 12:42:08 am »

My dwarves eat mostly Kobold-loaf and Elf-loaf... I'm not sure that they could handle strawberries.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 01:10:11 am »

Screw strawberries, I have sun berries!

Except... my farmers seem to be ignoring the order to plant stuff aboveground. The underground farm's working fine after irrigation.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 01:55:48 am »

Where are people getting the information that it's a bug? Looking at the raws, underground crops have the [WATER] tag (or at least a similar one, I only checked yesterday) whereas other plants have have [DRY] tag and don't need irrigation. It's obviously a feature.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 01:59:59 am »

Where are people getting the information that it's a bug? Looking at the raws, underground crops have the [WATER] tag (or at least a similar one, I only checked yesterday) whereas other plants have have [DRY] tag and don't need irrigation. It's obviously a feature.

An editable feature, apparently.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 02:31:00 am »

An editable feature, apparently.

I guess but I really don't understand how people can call "Bug!" on this. Is anything that is mildly inconvenient and not quite as ridiculously easy as before a bug in this new world?

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 02:46:30 am »

I guess but I really don't understand how people can call "Bug!" on this. Is anything that is mildly inconvenient and not quite as ridiculously easy as before a bug in this new world?
I think the reason they're calling bug is that, as I recall, this was never mentioned prior to release that it would be a new feature. As such, people weren't expecting it, and seeing that farming doesn't work the same way as before, they naturally call bug.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 02:56:57 am »

I think the reason they're calling bug is that, as I recall, this was never mentioned prior to release that it would be a new feature. As such, people weren't expecting it, and seeing that farming doesn't work the same way as before, they naturally call bug.

Anyways, I like the fact that farming is more than a free food machinery with no work input now. For those who don't it's easy enough to change back. As long as there is a choice in the matter (which Toady added for MANY things with this update), noone can complain I guess. Heil Toady!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 03:08:49 am »

Well I'm all for it! Farming without water seemed a little strange, especially is a desert.

And then my mind ticked over like a drawbridge attacked to a lever. UNDERGROUND RIVER AT FREEZING CLIMATES WOULD BE AWESOME! ICE TUNNELS FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to make a mod for creatures found exclusively in caves in freezing bioms.

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 03:35:22 am »

WET/DRY are tags to determine as to whether the plants naturally grow near water or not for herbalism, not their plant-ability. The source of the information is Baughn (who presumably talked to Toady before/after release?), and the post in question is quoted by me in this very thread.  :P

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 04:34:47 am »

Well I'm all for it! Farming without water seemed a little strange, especially is a desert.

And then my mind ticked over like a drawbridge attacked to a lever. UNDERGROUND RIVER AT FREEZING CLIMATES WOULD BE AWESOME! ICE TUNNELS FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to make a mod for creatures found exclusively in caves in freezing bioms.
No underground ice.
IIRC IRL you got geothermal heat in real life. Not the vulcanic kind, well that too, but even if you
dig down in central Australia, you will find the surrounding rock getting hotter.
Not sure how/if Toady modelled has taken this into account.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 04:50:35 am »

Toady said it is. :P
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 05:12:48 am »

Bah! Toady obviously knows nothing of this game! I am the true master!

On a serious note: This wouldn't be the first bug that became a feature though.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 05:47:42 am »

How EXACTLY do i make my crops farmable on soil again? I cant see any tags that are different.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8