Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] - Game Crash when Graphics = ON  (Read 1052 times)

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] - Game Crash when Graphics = ON
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:09:18 pm »

When I have graphics = on (no other options different in init) I crash when selecting any of the first start screen options.
Works fine with graphics off.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] - Game Crash when Graphics = ON
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:06:21 am »

I  can report the same thing...
without gaphics=ON everything worked well,
when I changed the ini (with graphics=ONbeing one of the changes)
the game crashed in the wordlbuilder with aC++-Runtime library error.
I changed graphics back to OFF  and everything worked well again.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:06:20 pm »

I can confirm this. It makes me sad because I love the graphics set I used for 40d. :(

I hope this somehow is work around-able!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • There really isn't anything to do there
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:19:37 am »

Same problem here. There's no specific error code given. It will crash even if I'm using the 'default' graphics.

Maybe we should post our stats to see if there's a common denominator?

Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.0 ghz
nvidia geforce 6600
Direct X 9.0c
Windows XP Pro
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 12:40:17 am »

Just tried something:

- Generated a world with GRAPHICS:OFF
- Quit, turned GRAPHICS:ON, then went in and started a new game using the generated world. No problems.
- Abandoned my fortress, and tried generating a world (without shutting down the game). No problems.
- Went into Arena mode (without shutting down the game). No problems.
- Quit, tried to generate a world with GRAPHICS:ON. CRASH!
- Reloaded, tried to go into the arena. CRASH!
- Reloaded, tried to go into the arena using my Region 1/raw folder. Crash!

It seems something in worldgen (and default arena uses) is causing the game to crash if GRAPHICS:ON and the graphics haven't been loaded into a game yet.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:41:58 am by municipalis »
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

KFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:43:15 am »

One thing to double check is that you werent using a png tileset. It may be in the 40d# series, but not the new release. I had the same problem before i changed that. I get graphics working in fortress mode now(although some of the new stuff is weird, like doctors looking like purple skeletons), but all my creatures are blank in arena.

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:50:21 am »

One thing to double check is that you werent using a png tileset. It may be in the 40d# series, but not the new release. I had the same problem before i changed that. I get graphics working in fortress mode now(although some of the new stuff is weird, like doctors looking like purple skeletons), but all my creatures are blank in arena.

I'm just using the default graphics set. My choice of tileset doesn't make a difference (it works with GRAPHICS:OFF). As my post above indicates, I can even get graphics to work provided I don't try to go directly into worldgen or the arena.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 01:28:22 am »

I did a few hours of smashing at DF.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52378.0

You can see my findings there. Essentially, crashes during worldgen with graphics on are memory issues. If it crashes on picking a menu item, there's some problem with the graphics themselves. It seems like the problem is that it's trying to assign graphics to things that may not exist anymore or, possibly, too many things. Upon loading a particularly large graphic set, it COULD cause a memory-based runtime error. I'm still testing on that one, though.

Oh, right. I forgot to mention that I got a set to work that didn't work originally. I simply deleted all non-dwarf creatures from the .txt file in raw > graphics. All that may do, however, is reduce the memory use under a safer threshold...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:30:57 am by Zombie »
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!