Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Got it running on my Mac with WINE  (Read 2791 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Got it running on my Mac with WINE
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:48:52 pm »

Which is incredibly cool.

It doesn't recognize my +/- keys, tho. Which means I have to use the default starting setup.

BTW, is it actually true that every map has magma, or is that just a rumor?

Nick

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got it running on my Mac with WINE
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:05:25 pm »

It's true.
Remap them to something else (eg non-numpad +-/*)
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »

Hate to ask, but how do you install wine, and do you need to do any config to get it to run DF?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 11:10:03 am »

Hate to ask, but how do you install wine, and do you need to do any config to get it to run DF?
It was pretty easy using this site:
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

If you don't know the command line (aka: the Terminal) at all it could be intimidating, but it's not hard stuff. It' all cutting and pasting the commands in the tutorial, using cd to get to your DF install, and typing "wine dwarfortress.exe"

I did no configuration at all. Not even the elegant key-remapping solution that other dude mentioned. IMO elegance and Windows do not go together, and I have an extremely inelegant solution: I play DF using with two keyboards. I use my laptops board for almost everything, and a near-dead full-sized keyboard when I need +/-. It should be noted t6hat the + does not work on the full-sized keyboard, but this is only a minor inconvenience when you've got a small fortress.

Nick

neue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:13:35 am »

ran really slowly in VMWare which is a bit unusual, but running really well in crossover games.

apeiron12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:21 pm »

It runs under Wine, but a it slowlly... Partial Print gets all convulsion-inducing, with or without DF Accelerator. Anyone got a way to get it working a lil bit faster?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02:40 pm »

Hm.  That's odd.  I'm running it using Wine + mac + partial print (YES:0) + Accelerator + GFPS cap:20.  Running it REALTIME, but with all features on (3x3 embark site), I haven't yet gotten below 100 FPS.  I'm at 37 dwarves now, and it hasn't slowed down even during caravans.

Have had the minor (usual) bugs, but I've only had one 'major' glitch (just 10 mins ago the game crashed without warning).

Of course, I haven't broken into the underground yet, and that might slow things down once that happens.

But it's actually been running pretty fast for me.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:44 am »

I've gotten it working as well, no config. ~20fps with 40 dwarves. ~40 with accelerator. Won't do partialprint without accelerator. Occasionally get epilepsy lists, but those are managable.

I have to start X first, and restart it if I exit dwarves.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »

I don't have an FPS count, but it sure feels slower then then 40D17 did.  Which is not really a surprise given that a) it's based on slower OpenGL code, b) Toady added a bitch-load of cool stuff, and c) it's being emulated.

And I've had a few CTDs (crashes to desktop). But I'm not reporting them as bugs because if WINE's the problem there's not much Toady can do about it.

Nick

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:32 pm »

Likewise on crashes, but mostly with the military screen which seems to be not uncommon overall.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 08:56:07 pm »

It gets as far as asking me if I want to run in fullscreen, then crashes. I think it's an openGL problem. Anyone possibly know a possible fix? I am a noob when it comes to unix hacking, getting this far on a Mac was quite an achievement for me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:50:35 pm by it_is_coming »
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 03:45:06 pm »

I tried BootCamp, but my copy of Windows is too old. It's XP SP:1. If I could load it up it would automatically upgrade itself to SP2, which can run on BootCamp, but solving that particular chicken/egg problem is a lot harder then downloading WINE.

As for key-remapping it turns out that if you hit escape after loading DF one of the options is to remap keys. You have to do it every damn time you load the game, tho.

@it_is_coming:
What is your system setup?

For me I just click the "No" button and everything works. I've got the latest low-end MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.3, and the version of WINE that said it'd work with 10.6

Nick

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 04:38:23 pm »

Under the keybinding menu, you can hit s to save the changes to interface.txt.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 06:55:39 pm »

I tried BootCamp, but my copy of Windows is too old. It's XP SP:1. If I could load it up it would automatically upgrade itself to SP2, which can run on BootCamp, but solving that particular chicken/egg problem is a lot harder then downloading WINE.

As for key-remapping it turns out that if you hit escape after loading DF one of the options is to remap keys. You have to do it every damn time you load the game, tho.

@it_is_coming:
What is your system setup?

For me I just click the "No" button and everything works. I've got the latest low-end MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.3, and the version of WINE that said it'd work with 10.6

Nick
It's an Intel based Mac Pro running 10.5.8 I believe. I'm fairly sure I have the correct version of Wine.
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.
Pages: [1] 2