Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern Fort  (Read 864 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Cavern Fort
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:30:23 pm »

So I dug down 40 z-levels and reached my first cavern (absolutely crawling with elkbirds D:) and I think it would be a cool challenge to try and create/sustain a fort with simply a shaft going up to the surface.  It has all your basic necessities: ore, water, muddy floors for farms; the only drawback I can think of at the moment is how tight they are, you would have to clear out a lot of pillars, most have multiple levels and of course, the evils that lurk down there, but that just adds to the challenge.
tell me, how feasible is this idea?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Fort
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:36:45 pm »

Well, I was most of the way to this. Had a very nice area walled off and roofed, only 1 door to the rest of the underground. Until a gremlin pulled the "collapse the roof lever" and killed 13 out of 15 dwarfs. 

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:00 pm »

Well, I was most of the way to this. Had a very nice area walled off and roofed, only 1 door to the rest of the underground. Until a gremlin pulled the "collapse the roof lever" and killed 13 out of 15 dwarfs. 
A perfect example of why you shouldn't make "collapse the roof" levers
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:47:10 pm »

Well it was just me exploring the caves. I also ran in to a forgotten beast and he was the one who busted my door by having his bloody bits clogging the door open. Next time I'm setting a trap for the gremlin. A cage linked to the lever right next to it, filled with war dogs.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:53:29 pm »

I am playing with an idea similar to this, I've not noticed any denizens of the deep yet, but that may change. so far it's the only mud I have.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:13:30 pm »

This should make it easier to find the mysterious critter that makes these odd giant cave spider webs. I wonder what critter makes these....