Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Are your 2010 fortresses packed with more ore than layer stone?  (Read 3872 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are your 2010 fortresses packed with more ore than layer stone?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »

Hmm. I just found a cluster of gems in White Sand. Got plenty of bitimous coal, dolomite, and iron. With my luck, the goblins will kill me before I have a steel industry going. :-\
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • There really isn't anything to do there
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2010, 12:24:25 pm »

I don't like this. Everything's too easy. Nothing is special any more.

I generally dislike change though, so I suppose I might warm to it. More likely I'll just stop caring.
For a dwarfort-literate player, there was no actual challenge or difficulty in the vanilla game as it previously existed. Challenge or difficulty arose from challenging ourselves, and this has done nothing but expand the challenges we can choose -- be they expansive or restrictive in nature. It literally only adds; it cannot be construed as having taken away.

Well put, Emily. What makes me happy is that I no longer have to worry about generating multiple worlds just to find a site that will have magma + ore + flux + river + sand + no aquifer. Now I can just pick a site and go.
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2010, 01:13:32 pm »

And now we will have a good generic answer for questions like.
Q: "I can't find *FOO* on my map!"

A: "Dig deeper."
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

BaronYiffington

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2010, 04:50:23 pm »

Oh god, my site is covered in ore. Digging a straight shaft down 143 z-levels, I've found about a dozen iron veins, multiple gold and silver veins, even aluminum, but, surprisingly, only one copper vein.

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2010, 04:55:40 pm »

This is probably why the auto zoom-in/pause on new veins is gone.  :P

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:32 pm »

This is probably why the auto zoom-in/pause on new veins is gone.  :P

I'm not actually sure how I feel about that lol.  There have been a few times where I've gone to the announcements and used the zoom feature to figure out where the ore is.

Actually, I love it, and the zoom feature.  Now I can find what I want, but ignore it when I'm striking limonite again.

I haven't even SEEN microline yet.  Just claystone until I got to the gabbro layer.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 02:06:55 am »

Every site doesn't always have everything though. It depends on the stone types you happen to embark on. You just have lots of stone types in each biome now, so its a better chance of getting everything.

I managed to randomly settle on a site with no igneous extrusive or sedimentary rock (didn't bother to examine the site), which meant absolutely no iron anywhere. It had plenty of flux (marble), but absolutely no iron ore. It did have an amazing number of diamonds, though - it seemed like every 10 tiles I'd run into a kimberlite vein, and every one of them had a little cluster of diamonds. I even found green, yellow, and blue diamonds in the clusters. It had like 50 z-levels of Gabbro just loaded with diamonds.

From now on I'll make sure to check that the site has flux AND a iron bearing rock type, hehe. With the abundance of diamonds now it might be fun to settle on areas with Gabbro too :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 03:36:39 am »

Once you dig into the caverns, everything is exposed and then it keeps telling you about it every time you go down there.  ::) Playing the game in its pristine buggy state is an interesting experience.

The game wants you to feel the excitement of all the riches in the earth!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 04:41:22 am »

Just finished mining out roughly my 20-somethingth gold vein. What's the average level of wealth at 2 years 5 months? Mine's listed at "475000*?", with five <50000* artifacts.
くコ:彡
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]