Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Are your 2010 fortresses packed with more ore than layer stone?  (Read 3875 times)

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are your 2010 fortresses packed with more ore than layer stone?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 02:18:49 am »

It's happening with me too. I have so much gold in my fortress I can't find anywhere to put low-income housing. My stockpiles, workshops, dining room, bedrooms...gold floors everywhere. And tetrahedrite, but mostly gold. Beautiful, delicious dwarven gold.
Gold, you say?  I feel a song coming on!

Gold, gold, gold, gold
Gold gold gold, gold
Gold, gold, gold gold
Gold gold gold gold
Gold, gold, gold, gold
Gold, gold, gold gold
(And so on for a further one hundred and forty seven verses)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 02:49:21 am »

I don't like this. Everything's too easy. Nothing is special any more.

I generally dislike change though, so I suppose I might warm to it. More likely I'll just stop caring.
I'm finding the "ease" actually makes things more demanding in an odd way. I can't just re-assign every metalworker that comes my way for the first two years because I can't even dream of giving them enough work.

Also the ease of gathering materials is handily counteracted by dwarves' unreliability, tendency to work themselves to death, and the much steeper requirements for starting a fortress.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 03:01:04 am »

Hi!

Personally, I think that the earth is a bit too rich now. While it is all fun and stuff, having veins and clusters absolutely everywhere makes them somewhat bland.

Oh, I struck star ruby - again.
Well, let's get back to important things.

A world gen setting for mineral density (like drainage and the like) would really be nice.

Deathworks

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 07:32:43 am »

A world gen setting for mineral density (like drainage and the like) would really be nice.

Yeah it would be very nice.
I prefer the current amount of ores to the previous one, but I would make them a little less frequent if I had a choice.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 07:42:22 am »

It could use a gradient - things becoming more common the deeper you dig.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:58 am »

It's closer to realistic if you imagine "pristine wilderness", a world no man has tread on before. But yeah, best idea so far, gradient as you get further down.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 08:49:37 am »

My god, my first z-level down, I dug right into an ore vein, so I followed it. I ended up digging 3 or 4 different veins out, plus gems, because they were all interconnected. Not to mention the huge amount of stuff you can see poking from the sides when you look at mountains or caverns.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 09:10:14 am »

It seems like every site has everything too.

One consequence of the caverns is that there's almost no need for exploratory digging. Once you open the caverns, *everythng in the world* is exposed.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:59 am »

limonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonitelimonite
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 10:05:02 am »

Limonite, indeed. I like finding a few tons of assorted ores just when a grand master weaponsmith happens to immigrate to my depressing hole in the ground glorious fortress. What else would I do with this guy anyway?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 11:03:33 am »

I'll be damned if I'm letting my cheesemaker have a room with gold-laden walls.

Dig out a larger room out of the gold and then wall and floor it with microcline. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 11:05:13 am »

That's just sadistic totally dwarf-worthy.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 11:06:40 am »

Once you dig into the caverns, everything is exposed and then it keeps telling you about it every time you go down there.  ::) Playing the game in its pristine buggy state is an interesting experience.

I agree though, the sheer abundance of shinies makes it a little too easy. There's no point in trading anymore for anything other than food, for one thing (heck, my weaver actually collected GCS silk on his own without getting killed... or even revealing the spider itself. Oh, this will be Fun.)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 11:38:01 am »

I, for one, enjoy not having to spend hours looking for the perfect spot, and missing out on potentially cool areas.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 12:13:12 pm »

I don't like this. Everything's too easy. Nothing is special any more.

I generally dislike change though, so I suppose I might warm to it. More likely I'll just stop caring.
Nothing is actually easier, though, except things beyond the player's control. Generating enough dwarfbucks in furniture for room requirements and in trade goods for trading was doable with a single stonecrafter and value1 layer stone.

It is now easier to employ your jewelcrafter, metalcrafters, and metalsmiths. It's no longer out of the question to build furniture out of metals at the typical and hefty cost of 3 bars apiece.

You can always challenge yourself, but players were unable to unchallenge themselves and gain access to more resources in any easy way, beyond tools like Reveal and exploiting large or tall embarks. Now players [like myself] who don't use utilities and whose computers can't handle more than a 3x3 embark (more likely to be 2x2 now thanks to the new underground) have the option of challenging themselves to whatever degree they want.

For a dwarfort-literate player, there was no actual challenge or difficulty in the vanilla game as it previously existed. Challenge or difficulty arose from challenging ourselves, and this has done nothing but expand the challenges we can choose -- be they expansive or restrictive in nature. It literally only adds; it cannot be construed as having taken away.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4