Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's Put Arena Mode To The Test!  (Read 16830 times)

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Put Arena Mode To The Test!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 09:25:27 am »

my bad, missed the material part :P

Name : The naked Pedobear
Species: Human
Weapon:Iron long sword - 12
Shields:Adamantine shield - 33 points
Skills:
Professional Shield bearer- 55 points
total used points : 100

(my strategy is to live long enough to learn how use the sword mid-fight)
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:58 am »

There isn't a Giant Muskox option, I'm afraid (There isn't a skeletal option either). Unless someone knows better?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 09:31:30 am »

Giant is a creature variant type, and skeletal muskox I remember from the last version, although I haven't seen one in the new version yet.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 09:34:24 am »

But I don't think they're available in the Arena mode. I've checked under "Giant" and can't find them (There are giant versions of other creatures, though). And I don't even think skeletal creatures are available.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 09:52:14 am »

okay.

Spoiler: Reynaldo Mark II (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:37:07 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 09:58:16 am »

I suggest that skills you get in the battle pass over and you get healed between rounds. What fun is it having someone mauled to almost-death fighting a perfectly healthy guy? And where's the awesome in NOT having multi-legendaries in the grand finale?

You can have one or the other. To heal someone would require remaking their character. To pass on skills I would have to keep them in the arena but that would mean being unable to heal them. I could heal (ie. remake) characters at the end of each round, and work out a system for increasing skills. Let's say...every kill a character makes with a certain weapon, they gain an extra 3 points toward the skill associated with the kill method (e.g. If a character kills someone with a sword, they gain 3 points worth of Swordman)

For example, if I have an iron man with Novice Hammerman (5 points) and he makes 3 kills with a hammer, he earns 9 points (3 times 3). Which gives him a total skill level of 14 points, making him an Adequate Hammerman.

Do you think that would work?

Maybe 2 points per kill? Or 3, for especially long battles. And you need to somehow log the exact method of killing and with what (how to give a hammer/sword dual wielder his points right?).
If you're feeling batshit insanegood enough for us to recreate them when writing down the exact skills that would make for some epic dwarf points for you.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 10:11:56 am »

I suggest that skills you get in the battle pass over and you get healed between rounds. What fun is it having someone mauled to almost-death fighting a perfectly healthy guy? And where's the awesome in NOT having multi-legendaries in the grand finale?

You can have one or the other. To heal someone would require remaking their character. To pass on skills I would have to keep them in the arena but that would mean being unable to heal them. I could heal (ie. remake) characters at the end of each round, and work out a system for increasing skills. Let's say...every kill a character makes with a certain weapon, they gain an extra 3 points toward the skill associated with the kill method (e.g. If a character kills someone with a sword, they gain 3 points worth of Swordman)

For example, if I have an iron man with Novice Hammerman (5 points) and he makes 3 kills with a hammer, he earns 9 points (3 times 3). Which gives him a total skill level of 14 points, making him an Adequate Hammerman.

Maybe 2 points per kill? Or 3, for especially long battles. And you need to somehow log the exact method of killing and with what (how to give a hammer/sword dual wielder his points right?).
If you're feeling batshit insane for us to recreate them when writing down the exact skills that would make for some epic dwarf points for you.

Doesn't really warrant epic dwarf points, I just need to read the reports and type up the skills the character used and make a note of them.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 10:26:10 am »

If you're feeling batshit insane for us to recreate them when writing down the exact skills that would make for some epic dwarf points for you.

Doesn't really warrant epic dwarf points, I just need to read the reports and type up the skills the character used and make a note of them.
I meant writing down the skills of someone and then recreating them with those, the same items, etc. etc.
All those dabblings, and such.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 10:30:47 am »

Just so you know, if you want to edit the Arena, the notepad file is with the init files.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 10:55:56 am »

I'll give thunderclan a chance to change his character. If he doesn't in the next 30 minutes or so, I'll start the tournament.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:57 am »

Requesting a tournament matchup sheet complete with names and creature titles.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:28 am »

Right, he's had enough time. Now, allow me to present:

Dwarf Fortress 2010 - The First Tournament
The Armok Arena
Tournament Matchup Sheet - Round One

Match ups will be standard one-vs-one duels, the matches will be chosen by a random number generator with each contestant being assigned a number between 1 and 14. (Using this random number generator)

The numbers are as follows: Vieto - Iron Man - 1

Haika - Walrus - 2

Rotten - Elephant - 3

Vactor - Dark Gnome - 4

Qloos - Hippo - 5

EvilTwin - Ogre - 6

nichaey - Human - 7

LordSlowpoke - Elf - 8

Doomshifter - Iron Man - 9

Duncan Frost - Elf - 10

Maggarg - Spotted Wobbegong - 11

riffraffselbow - Troll - 12

Acanthus117- Iron Man - 13

Barbarossa the Seal God - Iron Man - 14

Match One:

Qloos - Hippo vs. Maggarg - Spotted Wobbegong

Match Two:

Haika - Walrus vs. Duncan Frost - Elf

Match Three:

Rotten - Elephant vs. EvilTwin - Ogre

Match Four:

Vieto - Iron Man vs. Doomshifter - Iron Man

Match Five:

Vactor - Dark Gnome vs. Barbarossa the Seal God - Iron Man

Match Six:

nichaey - Human vs. LordSlowpoke - Elf

Match Seven:

riffraffselbow - Troll vs. Acanthus117- Iron Man

Every match will be recorded and uploaded on to DFMA (In case you missed this on the first post). Now, I need opinions, do you want me to just film the entire fight without pauses to view the combat reports/injuries on the fighters, or do you want to stop occasionally during the fight and go to the reports and injuries screens?

If you'd prefer to watch the entire fight uninterrupted (Personally, I prefer this one, because I've always found it disorienting when I watch fights on DFMA and seeing the player constantly pausing and loo'k'ing at character's injuries.) then I will write up a small description of what happens under the video link in my post.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 12:03:43 pm »

All shall perish beneath the might of the spotted wobbegong!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 12:07:47 pm »

Match Four:

Vieto - Iron Man vs. Doomshifter - Iron Man

LOL

P.S.  Anyone who picked "Iron man" is a cowardly wretch.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »

I chuckled.
Nichaey, good luck with your learning.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12