Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frames Per Second  (Read 1935 times)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Frames Per Second
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:29:09 pm »

So how fast is DF running for yall?  I'm running about 16 fps in windows, just on an embark with no running water.  The last version ran at full speed at this point.  I guess I will just dig down slooooowlly

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
Re: Frames Per Second
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:37:27 pm »

Hovering around 100 fps after two small migrant waves (~20 dorfs total?) with a river on the map and part of the caverns breached. Oddly, there don't seem to be any creatures in the underground so far except an unseen GCS, which probably helps.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 08:58:51 pm »

Hovering around 100 fps after two small migrant waves (~20 dorfs total?) with a river on the map and part of the caverns breached. Oddly, there don't seem to be any creatures in the underground so far except an unseen GCS, which probably helps.
same, but with a bajillion little murky pools all over the first underground layer instead.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:03:17 pm »

The new version is very...jumpy, for me.
When picking an embark site, the map doesn't scroll particularly smoothly, and keeps freezing up for a second or so now and again.  Tis nothing particularly game breaking, it's just distracting.

On a new embarkment, depending on the wildlife present, and how waterfally the the river is, I tend to get around 60-80 FPS.  But that too is jumpy.  Most of the time it hovers near the upper end, but occasionally it'll suddenly dip drastically for a few seconds, before bouncing back to normal.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:42:26 pm »

Right at embark, with just my seven dwarves, a few dogs, and the pack animals, I've got between 30-40 FPS. Normally on this laptop, I would get to that point in 40d when I had around 50 or 60 dwarves. However, the dwarves seem to be taking their sweet time even for 30 fps...
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:27 pm »

Hmm, implies it's my comp that's causing the issue, which has showed up on several sites.  Saving is also taking a very long time..  Well, maybe things will improve with future versions

EDIT:  DF accellerator was very helpful, and doubled my FPS.  Still slow, but more tolerable.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:05:25 pm by atomfullerene »

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:03:19 pm »

i am getting about 50 fps with 10 dwarfs. the 100z of extra sky and the 90+Z of magma pipe may have something to do with that. i used to get fps with 60 some dwarfs, so its quite possibly slower

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:44:26 pm »

60-80 FPS with ~20 dwarfs, ~10 animals, running brook.
2.4 Ghz dualcore.
With the accelerate 40d#19 I get about 70-90 FPS with that many dwarfs and animals. Haven't breeched the underground cave system yet so I don't know if that's going to reduce FPS at all.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:02:40 am »

I seemed to get a big jump on my laptop by dialing the max graphical fps way down but it's still lower than 100 fps on embark.

My laptop usually handled moving fluids much better but I can't check that until I get it back.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 08:07:46 am »

Around 150-200 upon embark. Just by tweaking the init.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:00 pm »

Tweaking it how?  Or do you just mean raising the cap?   Also, I find myself getting a solid and constant 40fps now, even during pauses (when the game normally shoots up to the cap).  It's like the game is capped at 40 but that's not what the init says.  weird

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:55:50 pm »

30-40 FPS
6X6 Embark
4.GB Ram
Quadcore
Crappy 6150 SE Graphics card
Vista
1.75.Gigahertz
38 Dwarves
30 Animals
A River
Undergound Ocean
Underground Magma Pipe
Anything else running underground with a random {Friendly}troglodyte slowly showing up in my announcements about renaming his spear and taking me to an unearthed location? (bug)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:59:44 pm by Meanmelter »
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Skie

• Bay Watcher
  • ~♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 06:01:49 am »

Was 200 at the beginning when I embarked on my 3X6 area, with a running brook and a volcano.

Eventually when more dorfs came, I found the huge caverns and deep pits and the magma sea, and there was a bit of a catsplosion, my fps has dropped down to around 60. 62 dorfs, ~20 animals.

Having used to constant 100+ fps on 40d all the way until I have like over 100 dorfs in my fort and a dragon is playing tag with whatever is sieging me, this is kinda unbearable.

Changing temperature and weather effects off has no effect whatsoever. DF accelerator makes things worse.

Running Q9450 at 3,4GHz (quadcore), Win XP64b, 2GB RAM, HD4870, 1680x1050 windowed resolution.
Skie, Modmaker cancels modcrafting: Went insane.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 06:26:13 am »

100 right after embark on a 4*4 with brook, some murky pools and almost no surface willdlife. Now at 30 dorfs and having breached (and walled off) 2 caverns, an underground ocean and a magma sea, it's around 40-60 depending on how many jobs are going on.
I'll have to cap it at 60-70 dwarves to keep the game playable, until the openGL and interface code is merged. It's okay, though... with regular old 40d, 70-80 dwarves was the most my fps could take.

Athlon X2 Dual Core @2,4GHz; 2GB DDR2 RAM; some old Nvidia Graphics Card, using Win XP SP3 with a carpload of other programs running in the background on the other core.
1440*720px Windowed mode with custom 12*12px ASCII set; Partial Print set to 2; GFPS=30, though I'll probably lower it to 15 for some more fps.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 06:43:03 am »

Tweaking it how?  Or do you just mean raising the cap?   Also, I find myself getting a solid and constant 40fps now, even during pauses (when the game normally shoots up to the cap).  It's like the game is capped at 40 but that's not what the init says.  weird

I also changed the G_FPS_CAP to 10, the priority to high and the VSYNC to yes. (Even though i don`t know whether the VSYNC helps..)
Pages: [1] 2