Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-Flashing Hatchdoors  (Read 693 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Non-Flashing Hatchdoors
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:04:00 am »

This is minor, to be sure, but it's been bugging me.  

From what I can tell, hatches built over stairs or ramps will constantly flash between the image of the hatch, and the image of the stair/ramp beneath it.  Although it's unlikely to cause any real confusion as to whether or not it's constantly opening/closing, it is rather annoying having the hatch flashing on and off incessantly in an otherwise "stable" environment.

I'm asking that the hatch override whatever's beneath it, and only show what's beneath the hatch when it's actually open.  It won't exactly spruce the whole game up, but I'd be happy.  And as we all know, that's a very important objective.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Flashing Hatchdoors
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

yeah, just wait until you get a tomb filled up with that nobles crap.  They carry all personal belongings to it and you cannot dump anything. flashing galore as they start to stack it.

I'd be happy if one of them just brought in a few bins of the personal belongings and left it at that, but no, they scatter them all over the tomb.

igless

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »

I have to agree with Kagus. It's unlikely that a player will forget what a hatch is for, and it's easy enough to go down one z-level and check.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 04:08:00 am »

Even just looking at the hatch will reveal what's under it.

Idea thirded.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Fourth.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »

Or at the very least, an init option; this is the #1 thing preventing me from using hatches on stairs.

Seconded.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

Othob Rithol cancels task : bumping post

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

I'd like to jump in here and have (almost) anything that overlaps stairs not flash.  Dwarves flash with stairs as they walk over them, making it difficult to determin if they went up/down or across (even more so if they're carrying an item!).  For the most part stairs are permanent and tend not to change (unless the player does something or the cavern collapses), so I wouldn't even mind if dropped items lay on stairs like they do on normal floor.

But best case would be that stairs only flash if there is a dwarf-movable non-creature item laying on them.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>But best case would be that stairs only flash if there is a dwarf-movable non-creature item laying on them.</STRONG>

This proposal gets my emphatic vote.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

Yes, that would be nice.  At least that way, we'd have at least some chance of clearing up around the place.  Currently, forts that deal with ramps/stairs are dangerous for those with epileptic tendencies, due to the mass number of flashing and blinking items.

You see?  It's a very serious health issue with flashing hatchdoors/stairs/ramps.  In order to ensure the well-being of Dwarf Fortress players, this matter must be attended to.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

I agree. Also, anyone else feels sick when looking at the depot access screen?

But the hatches issue is more important to me. I also ended up not building up hatches over stairs just because of the flashing...