Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems, Qs and As?  (Read 2193 times)

Shenanigans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems, Qs and As?
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »

didn't really wanna make a thread but i can't work it out. so after im done lets keep this thread as a big questions and answers so we can all help eachother with new freatures.

my problem is, my dwarfs seem to just refuse to hunt any animals on the map.. i want some glorious feasting of underground meat..
Praise be Engarlod ker, one eye'd scorpian god.

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems, Qs and As?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »

didn't really wanna make a thread but i can't work it out. so after im done lets keep this thread as a big questions and answers so we can all help eachother with new freatures.

my problem is, my dwarfs seem to just refuse to hunt any animals on the map.. i want some glorious feasting of underground meat..
I got the same problem and don't really know why. There's ammo, hunting is enabled...

I also have another issue: The dorfs wont fill my pond when I wanted to irrigate some ground for farming, despite having loads of buckets, lots of rivers outside and a lot of idle dorfs.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »

Do you have quivers available? My furnace operat.. *cough*  hunter went off for a hunt as soon as I made him a quiver. Ke already had crossbow, be went for a quiver, then picked 4 stacks of bolts and went off hunting.

Ah! What you may miss is ammo settings in "m"ilitary screen. Go for "m"->"f", select Hunters, new ammo (was that "c"?) and select bolts. You can specify if they should use wooden/bone/metal with materials ("M"?)

Shenanigans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »

Nope. the bugger still refuses to touch the ammo or pick up his shiney new donkey leather quiver.. a donkey gave its life to try to gode him into hunting.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:53:43 pm »

Disable hunting on that dwarf and re-enable it.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Shenanigans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:55:45 pm »

You maveric, you've done it!, those elephants shall be mine!

oh.. without his new quiver and ammo for that cross bow..

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »

... That did it. =D

How is everyone handling irrigation, though? Since I couldn't make my dorfs do it manually, I drained one of the natural ponds and used that for my farm plot, but it doesn't seem like the best solution...

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:11:12 pm »

... That did it. =D

How is everyone handling irrigation, though? Since I couldn't make my dorfs do it manually, I drained one of the natural ponds and used that for my farm plot, but it doesn't seem like the best solution...
Floodgate with a lever. It means building a mechanic workshop a lot earlier than before, but it works.

Dig a tunnel from where your farm will be to one square away from your river, get the floodgate ready then channel out the last square from above. When the water has settled open the floodgate then close it again immediately (a lot of water will be coming through). Once it's down to 1/7 you can place your farm plots.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:36 pm »

I just built a pump (2 wood + 1 rock) and a corridor 1z below the pump and the room. Water came up and filled about 2/3rds of the room before I turned off manual pumping. Water was at the 1-2 level so it just evaporated. As a bonus my farm room now doubles as an emergency water supply.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 06:32:44 pm »

It's actually really easy, just divide the area of you farm by 7 and make a cistern a few tiles larger than that (to fill the cistern tiles as well) and fill it all to 7/7 water, close it off and open it to your farm. Boom, everything covered in 1/7 water, perfect for farming.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:54:16 pm »

But you are all using mechanics to do it. I was a bit desperate for food since it took some time for me to pay attention to the food stores and were already running low.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:58:01 pm »

But you are all using mechanics to do it. I was a bit desperate for food since it took some time for me to pay attention to the food stores and were already running low.
Yep, early game is much, much more demanding than before, basically as demanding as when you were first first learning the game yelling "HOW THE @$%& DO I DIG DOWN!? WHY IS EVERYONE STARVING!?"

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 07:18:22 pm »

Ok, so I set my dwarves to use the wooden training axes. Which they grabbed and played with. As soon as they became adequate axedwarves I told them to grab metal axes, which they did. Some wolves showed up, so I sent them out to kill 'em to gain some more XP. I noticed I had no dead wolves so I pulled up the combat reports. Seems that while they're carrying the metal axes, they're fighting with the training axes. How do I get them to put the training axes away. Oh, and the leader grabbed two suits of chain mail, and so one of the guys is armorless...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 07:23:43 pm »

I also have another issue: The dorfs wont fill my pond when I wanted to irrigate some ground for farming, despite having loads of buckets, lots of rivers outside and a lot of idle dorfs.
Urist Cancels Fill Pond: Inappropriate Building?
It's because the pond zone isn't designated over a channel. Channel a few squares on the floor above and place the pond there instead, it'll work.
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Matthew117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »

I cant figure out how to get the mayday graphic set to work. Anyone know how fix this problem?
Pages: [1] 2