Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Underpowered weapons  (Read 8048 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Underpowered weapons
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:14:00 pm »

I was trying arena mode today and I created a no-skill alligator and a Grand Master Everything dwarf (also Hammerdwarf), I gave him an Adamantine War Hammer (not Raw Adamantine) and started mauling the alligator.

I only bruised his muscles, his fat etc. more than 100 times and it died from suffocation. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but if it is a feature, weapons are painfully useless.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Underpowered weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 03:37:10 pm »

Have you checked your dwarf's strength? Maybe he isn't very strong, and as such, doesn't do a lot of damage.

Otherwise I don't know.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:50:53 pm »

I was trying arena mode today and I created a no-skill alligator and a Grand Master Everything dwarf (also Hammerdwarf), I gave him an Adamantine War Hammer (not Raw Adamantine) and started mauling the alligator.

I only bruised his muscles, his fat etc. more than 100 times and it died from suffocation. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but if it is a feature, weapons are painfully useless.

I made a giant and gave him a steel hammer. His strength was high, and he did shatter bones, unlike his dwarven companion next to him (who actually got shattered).
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 03:58:52 pm »

I seem to recall discussion that suggested Adamantine as being a very poor material for war hammers due to its extremely low density.

For the record, an Adventurer wielding a copper war hammer takes nearly 30-50 hits to kill a single wolf, breaking every bone and organ in its body before finally getting a lucky hit and smashing its head in.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 03:59:18 pm »

Adamantine war hammer is weak because of the new materials system. It is super light, so adamantine blunt attacks do very little damage.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 04:15:17 pm »

Still spears and bolts do nothing now. I was able to fight with about 100 bolts in me. Well, this is because of superhuman toughness and recuperation. Wounds heal too fast.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:51:55 pm »

By comparison, I was able to slay a dragon in less than 10 attacks using a no-quality bronze sword and Adept swordsman skill.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 04:58:21 pm »

I think it's the hammers that are the problem here, I bet an adamantine edged weapon would be pretty nice, we'll see I suppose. I just fought two battles with wolves in adventure mode where I won easily, however it took something like 25 hits per wolf to kill them. I had a bronze warhammer and I hit them basically every time I tried to attack them and broke bones easily. The attacks quickly dropped their combat effectiveness, but only when I bashed their skull through their brain were they able to die.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 05:20:21 pm »

As far as i noticed combat takes much longer now.

My Adventure swordsmen fought against an axemen, we both used copper weapons and armour.

It took, really, really, long to kill the axemen. We both only managed to bruise each other.

However, that might be realistic... But the dullness of the fighters isn`t.

- The axemen exactly had one weak point, his head, because he only wore an leather cap. But even he fell unconscious my adventurer just attacked the body instead of the head- That`s the issue i have with the combat atm.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2048-crossbowsgotnerfedtoomuch
It's like that scene in "Equilibrium" where the main character dodges bullets and then goes on to stab 10 people in the face with a sword.

Also, platinum warhammers can get lodged in wounds.

ouch.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »

It's enough to choke one Hydra head to make it suffocate.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:42 pm »

It's enough to choke one Hydra head to make it suffocate.

That's probably related to hydrae only having one skull (at least in previous versions).

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »

OK, im ill, so i cant sleep so i was testing the mace fights in arena. It seems that no matter the skill or material of weapon, the only way to kill your opponent with a mace is to directly smash his skull and tear his brains(with the skull). I had a macedwarf 1-hit kill a dragon, because he just caught it in the head on the first swing, or i had a GM macedwarf pummel a giant toad for about 2 mins ( 135 pages of combat report), because he couldn't get the skull to smash its brains. the toad had every single bone in the body broken, bruised all internal organs, oozing blood from numerous open fractures and completely severed nervous system ( shattered spine, weapon lodged IN the nervous tissue, twisting of weapon in the nervous tissue). I was using standard iron mace for all tests.
Creatures with less body parts go down much faster than the ones with lots, because there is a higher chance for a critical head-blow to occur.

Also for some reason bigger monsters didn't last as much as small ones, ogres for example went down fairly well, faster than a Hippo though. The giant toad and other small creatures were almoust unkillable with mace.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 09:10:55 pm »

I started a hammerdwarf in adventure mode, who came equipped with a bismuth bronze warhammer. I mainly only fought naked mole dogs, but even they took what seemed to be 30 or 40 hits to die. The mole dogs themselves never injured me at all, however. Something similar occured when I was sent on a quest to kill a hydra.  It took even more hits to kill, but after it died from suffocation there was no scratch on my dwarf at all. This was my dwarf's first quest, and the only other things he had killed were the naked mole dogs, so it wasn't like he was super leveled up or anything. But, there he was, the only blood on him belonging to the hydra. I checked legends mode and saw the hydra had killed like a hundred characters during worldgen.... Not sure how.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]
Pages: [1] 2 3