Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Underpowered weapons  (Read 8040 times)

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Underpowered weapons
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 10:36:11 pm »

Punching a groundhog for three months should definitely cause enough internal bleeding to kill it.  Oh my poor wrestler.  His death by dehydration will not be forgotten. 

The groundhog will pay some day when I find a weapon to use.

sethwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 12:47:15 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2048-crossbowsgotnerfedtoomuch

Nah, that's not so much about the crossbows (though they did get nerfed.)

The thing is, due to a bug, bronze collossi are utterly unkillable unless you encase them in cooling magma or drop a section of the cavern on top of them. No, not even dropping them into red-hot magma will work.

Not quite. I set one up against like 16 dragons and they melted him.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 01:02:36 am »

Yup. It only takes about 10 dragons ganging up on a BC to kill it through melting.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 03:29:52 am »

Yup. It only takes about 10 dragons ganging up on a BC to kill it through melting.
That is a very cool feature in the game
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 11:01:45 am »

So basically, adamantine is worthless as a weapon material now.  I think that qualifies as a bug.  I suppose they could just make it heavier, it's not like metal being heavy is a big liability AFAIK.

And yes, the damage system seems to need work.  The easiest fix I see would be adding in a new death condition if there are some threshold of injuries; >50% body parts badly mangled, for instance.  That would fix hammers and crossbows, I think.  Not something that can be done from the RAWs unfortunately.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 11:39:36 am »

Hi!

Maybe having mountain goats with a cut throat at least immediately bleed to death if not die instantly. I am experimenting with weapon traps, and those mountain goats can take quite a lot of damage if it is not instantly deadly. If you use wooden spikes, you need maybe three or four fully stocked weapon traps on average to kill your average mountain goat it seems. However, if you have giant axe blades or battle axes in the mix (2 axe blades/axes + 8 spikes), you have a fair chance of a a serious injury during the very first attack - I had fox who got his front legs cut off and thrown away that way, and a few goats who got their heads cut off. At least cutting off the head seems to result in an instant death (what a relief :) :) :) ).

By and large, the weapon traps do make sense that way, but a few of the wounds sound result in bleeding and other things that will kill the animal within a short while. At least those are my impressions.

Deathworks

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 12:45:14 pm »

No, not even dropping them into red-hot magma will work.

I dunno about that; I just tested this in the arena. I dropped a Colossus into Magma. After a few seconds he melted.

In a possibly related note, a Blizzard Man was living just fine in Magma for quite a while.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 03:48:01 pm »

So basically, adamantine is worthless as a weapon material now.  I think that qualifies as a bug.  I suppose they could just make it heavier, it's not like metal being heavy is a big liability AFAIK.

And yes, the damage system seems to need work.  The easiest fix I see would be adding in a new death condition if there are some threshold of injuries; >50% body parts badly mangled, for instance.  That would fix hammers and crossbows, I think.  Not something that can be done from the RAWs unfortunately.

Actually, I believe making it extremely heavy would cause the dwarf to move slower, like how they move slow when hauling raw stone.

I think crossbows would be a bit more effective if the enemy didn't heal light wounds every few seconds.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 04:50:06 pm »

It seems like all the mechanics for 'system shock' death are there..they just never apply, or apply so slowly in combat that you'll still get a lucky blow after 30 to 40 turns before they expire, from non-bleeding/infection reasons.

Adamantine edged weapons do just fine. Was able to complete dismember a BC with adamantine axe dwarves. Unfortunately, once the BC was on it's back, no one could get a head shot to save their life.
It's fun to decap and all....but it seems like the magic bullet and happens all too often. Master sword dwarf with a [spoiler] short sword took the head off a dragon in two turns. Was sort of anti-climatic.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3]