Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Underpowered weapons  (Read 8042 times)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Underpowered weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 05:14:35 am »

It's enough to choke one Hydra head to make it suffocate.

That's probably related to hydrae only having one skull (at least in previous versions).
I'd guess it's more like "you choke it = it gets no air" simple as that...
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 06:57:02 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2048-crossbowsgotnerfedtoomuch

Nah, that's not so much about the crossbows (though they did get nerfed.)

The thing is, due to a bug, bronze collossi are utterly unkillable unless you encase them in cooling magma or drop a section of the cavern on top of them. No, not even dropping them into red-hot magma will work.
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 11:04:28 am »

The thing is, due to a bug, bronze collossi are utterly unkillable unless you encase them in cooling magma or drop a section of the cavern on top of them. No, not even dropping them into red-hot magma will work.
Honestly that's sort of what I picture for all megabeasts. It'd be awesome if they only become a tiny, tiny bit less mortal.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 12:18:11 pm »

Code: [Select]
[NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]
I believe this tag doesn't work as it should, or perhaps works too good. It seems that if you want to kill a monster, you have to wound functional tissue of its thought organ. As we read in body_default.txt:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY_THOUGHT]
This is useful for blobs and other simple headless creatures that don't have brains, since they will die then when they lose a functional tissue in this part.
[BP:UB:body:bodies][UPPERBODY][LOWERBODY][THOUGHT][CATEGORY:BODY]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:2000]

I believe that removal of the [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] tag and giving the colossus an organ with [THOUGHT] tag should circumvent the problem.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:39:25 pm by Gantolandon »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »

This seems to be more a problem of Sever on Breaks being broken, assuming it's even still there.
!!&!!

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 02:01:01 pm »

I've managed to kill a bronze colossus in the arena with magma, took a good while for him to melt though, first his left foot, then his left leg, then all of him.

I've left bronze colossi in an arena with well over 30 beasts (ranging from hydras, etins to GCS) - he killed them all without a wound, I then left him in the arena over night with 2 more hostile colossi, both with mauls. One was unhurt, one had a red leg and arm, missing a finger, the third had a missing toe and finger.

Skeletons seem completely unkillable, skeletal goats been submerged in magma for 1 hour 15mins and is still ''alive''.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 02:07:25 pm »

This seems to be more a problem of Sever on Breaks being broken, assuming it's even still there.

It's still there in the sense that a creature made solely of an easily shattered material (e.g. bone) will act that way, although it's completely useless in the case of skeletal creatures, since their "fake muscles" hold everything together too well.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 04:16:20 pm »

Bronze Colossus 2 has been struck down!

They're not literally immortal, there's just no weapon in the game with a contact area\penetration sufficient to kill one. By modding the giant axe blade to be a weapon, and adding a 0 onto the end of its contact area, penetration, and velocity (just for good measure) I've killed 7 or so in the arena, by lopping off their heads. Note the unmodified giant axe blade was not sufficient to kill any, no matter how many creatures I had swinging them.

I can't create a skeleton in the arena to test, but I'm assuming at least someone who's run into the bug had axes in their military, so I'm guessing that's a bug of a different color. Are the tissues that hold the bones together unseverable? Though that would not account for their ability to survive in magma...

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 04:23:47 pm »

So, I started imagining these things as the size of the Colossus of Rhodes, and suddenly it all seems more realistic to me. 

Unfortunately, my starting dwarves all just died of thirst from trying to kill an unconscious groundhog for several months, so I still think damage needs some serious attention.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:37 pm »

So, I started imagining these things as the size of the Colossus of Rhodes, and suddenly it all seems more realistic to me. 

Unfortunately, my starting dwarves all just died of thirst from trying to kill an unconscious groundhog for several months, so I still think damage needs some serious attention.

Bigger actually. Assuming the sizes progress linearly, a Bronze Colossus should be roughly 285.7 times the size of an average human. Assuming 5'9" is average, that makes it about 1642 feet tall. Less Colossus of Rhodes, more Godzilla. Hell, bigger than Godzilla; it's only 90 feet shorter than the Antennae on the top of the Sears Tower. In that light it's not so odd that dwarfs can't kill it; what's odd is that they can hurt it at all!

Edit: This does, of course, assume they maintain human proportions.

Edit mk2: This also assumes that I am capable at math, which it turns out I am not. It was a cool visual though, even if it was completely wrong.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:25:50 pm by GRead »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 04:50:39 pm »

Mentioned in the bug thread but you can bash on things with shields forever and do NO damage with wooden shields and pretty much no damage with metal ones.

It's actually more effective to drop your shield and punch.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 05:19:19 pm »

Sounds like time to mod in the rocket launcher for this purpose.... or main battle tanks...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 06:37:02 pm »

I think a big problem is that not all wound effects are in yet. There seem to be 6 causes of death: brain/'thought center' being crushed, suffocation, melting, severed torso/head, blood loss and infection.

Also, blood loss needs to be faster for certain types of wound: I had an axe-dwarf slice open someone's heart and the enemy kept fighting for a dozen more rounds until his torso was cut in half.

talrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »

Yeah I recently unearthed HFS.... and it took forever for three of them to take down a cat, their attacks kept passing right through it.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 07:19:14 pm »

I think the main issue here is that bruises /fractures / broken bones dont bleed at all, so essentially they do nothing. Allowing broken bones and fractures to bleed out would pretty much assure that once you broke 5-6 bones, he'd eventually die of blood loss

(no, a broken bone doesent necessrily mean bleeding, but in almost all realistic cases, if your  hit hard enough to break a bone, your going to be bleeding at least a bit)

It's kind of retarded that you can break every bone in an enemies body, yet hes no closer to dying at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3