Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread  (Read 16221 times)

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2010, 03:53:29 am »

I'm working on gnolls as a playable race, and it's working out pretty well so far, except I can't seem to wrap my head around the hair-colour tags.
And they don't get anvils for some reason.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

katroclopse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2010, 06:51:45 am »

Quoting myself into this conversation, because it's relevant to this thread's interests...

My friends, I have done many things in the name of science - nay, SCIENCE! - all under the notion that I was a soldier in the long slogging march of scientific inquiry.  I thought that nothing was sacred, that no tabboo existed without being a temptation to shatter it.

And then I saw things... I did things...  Horrible things, in the name of science....

Test 4:  Total cast moddability test.

I... I have milked a male dwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This proves many things... first, that [INTELLIGENT], which now includes the use of [CAN_SPEAK] as well as other things, IS, against all sanity, caste-moddable.

This means that you can embark with a species that can mate with what effectively amounts to its own livestock.

Male dwarves with the [INTELLIGENT] tag removed were treated as if animals, including having no labors enableable, but allowing you to butcher them, instead, like the way that the (p)rf menu of (v)iew lets you set butcherable for livestock.  Due to a minor bug, they still would have enabled all the labors they would normally start with, like Fisherdwarf if you used the "Play Now!" embark.  So I couldn't enable or disable labors, but they had fishing enabled, anyway, similar to the Dungeon Master's smithing labors.

This also means practically EVERYTHING is caste moddable.  Yay.

Would you happen to know if castes are caste moddable?  :o ;D Though I suppose that would have limited value.  :-\

chintznibbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2010, 06:57:24 am »

... I can't seem to wrap my head around the hair-colour tags.
I was poking around with them earlier, but didn't really discover a lot.  The list of colors following the tissue selection tag (SET_TL_GROUP) appear to occur with random frequency, although the number (1 in all the default raws) may have something to do with it.

The tissue layer has to be specified every time, but you can do more than one at a time by placing a (PLUS_TL_GROUP) tag under the SET tag.

If you want your Gnolls to have body fur, you might try giving them the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] tag set and copying the fur coloring scheme from dogs or something.  I don't know if it's possible to have head hair and body fur at the same time.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2010, 07:24:07 am »

The number following a color is a weight - a color with a higher number is more likely to be chosen.

I just tried and tried to give a parrot different colors on upper body, lower body (stomach), head, and wings. The wings kept generating errors, though ( *** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_direforged_vermin.txt"
BIRD_PARROT Color Mod Ending With (CINNAMON,1) Was Not Used ), and just now I realized why - [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] gives hair (or feathers as the case may be) to about every body part, including humps and fins... but not to wings.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2010, 10:39:57 am »

I'm working on gnolls as a playable race, and it's working out pretty well so far, except I can't seem to wrap my head around the hair-colour tags.
And they don't get anvils for some reason.

Hey, Hakar. put that baby up when you're done!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2010, 12:54:06 pm »

I had the wonderful idea of making a Half Life mod.

Sure, we will have to have extra features added first, but turning dwarves into antlions will be fun!
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2010, 01:04:34 pm »

Trying to get Rathian/Rathalos species going. Used the caste commands to separate the genders right and got a custom tissue setup so their reasonable well armored. Only problem is that it keeps choking people with it's wings and I can't figure how to stop it. No Rathian, you don't have to choke a bitch!
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:51 pm »

In the previous version I took out the limb tag from the Vanilla 2WINGS entry.  That stopped stuff from wresting with them nicely.  I haven't gotten around to doing it yet with this version though, and I don't know if removing limb would have any adverse side effects in the new system.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2010, 02:17:36 pm »

House dragon stuff

I've discovered where the scratch attack is going wrong besides the other flaw already pointed out.  You're trying to have them scratch with their fingers, but since you gave them the default quadruped body, they have no [GRASP] body parts, so the game cannot attach the 4FINGERS in their body, and thus they have no fingers.  Fingers need grasping body parts (hands) to attach to.  Checking the error log when genning a world with your dragons will give you this information, so make sure to turn on your error log.

I'm working on it right now, as I'm not quite sure what happens when you mix grasp and stance, since I assume you don't want your dragons walking on their back legs.  Let me see what happens!

This, by the way, is my fix:

This post prone to editing as I test.  Fuguring out body tags is fun!

Testing: Biting is the preferred attack type, and so I haven't had any scratching dragons yet, BUT I'm no longer getting worldgen errors about their fingers.

Creating a new body gloss is seemingly not recognized.  No idea what's wrong.  I was trying to bodygloss their fingers into being called claws, since the claw_foot and claw_hand bodygloss tags are not what would be appropriate.  But it's now spamming my worldgen with "unrecognized creature caste bodygloss token".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:15:29 pm by Clover Magic »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2010, 02:20:29 pm »

Im thinking of making my Dark Tower mod for this, It will be make alot more sense with the castes (I,E John Farson army at top, Barbarians at middle and Slow Muties at the bottom) and it would be a load of fun.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

chintznibbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »

House dragon stuff
useful stuff
Aha, interesting.  I thought by giving them the HUMANOID_JOINTS part, I could get around the "no hands for fingers" bit.

And yeah, creating new body groups is now pretty damn complicated.  I managed to get a fake Dragon_Wing (no Limb or Flier tag on) onto the guys, and it shows up in their wounds page, but despite the fact that I assigned it Category:Wing, the game is telling me it has no tissue thickness and every attack passes right through.

More testing (i.e. blind groping in the dark) is required. ;)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »

House dragon stuff
useful stuff
Aha, interesting.  I thought by giving them the HUMANOID_JOINTS part, I could get around the "no hands for fingers" bit.

And yeah, creating new body groups is now pretty damn complicated.  I managed to get a fake Dragon_Wing (no Limb or Flier tag on) onto the guys, and it shows up in their wounds page, but despite the fact that I assigned it Category:Wing, the game is telling me it has no tissue thickness and every attack passes right through.

More testing (i.e. blind groping in the dark) is required. ;)

Fingers have the CONTYPE:GRASP tag in their entry, so they need a bodypart with GRASP to connect to, or else the game just goes "Oh god, there are no hands to attach these fingers to!!!" and just discards them, so you had dragons attempting to use their non-existent fingers to scratch.  Humanoid joints is just a tag that gives creatures wrists, elbows, knees, etc., and does not have grasp.

For their wings, I also just removed "limb" from wings, but game them the flying tag, as it's not so broken in the this release and so you're not spammed with endless "Dragon McIdiot cancels Walk: dangerous terrain" in midair.

I still haven't figured out where I've gone wrong with the bodygloss.  Are they hardcoded?  I thought you just find the body part you want to replace and type in what you want to replace it with, and then the plural versions, buuuut.....nngh.  More testing is required.  Onward for science!

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2010, 11:30:55 pm »

Trying to make gummi bears that are strong against hammer blows but weak to blades and fire. So far not much luck.

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2010, 03:03:55 am »

Undead Creature Variation:

Example application - the Bloodhulk.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2010, 09:02:27 am »

Hello everyone! I'm Joe from Armor Inc.  Ever notice how the new breastplate doesn't protect your upper arms, yet the gauntlets don't reach that far? leaving the upper arms vulnerable to stabby slicy death?

You could of course mod the old platemail back in to fix that.  But what about creatures with extra limbs off the upper body? Like wings?  Hell the original platemail even protected extra lower body parts like tails with a combination of a downstep and upstep.

Of course you wouldn't want that would you? *points microphone at audience* *deafening silence* Ahem... well now you don't have to worry about that!  I give you...
Spoiler: Vambrace and spaulder (click to show/hide)
This beauty will protect your soft and squishy upper arms while still keeping the vanilla breastplate!  Wow!

Yours for only liberal use of ctrl-c and ctrl-v.

And coming soon, tired of wearing a helmet and still getting your ears lowered by way of flying off in an arc?  Or your throat cut out from under it? Coming soon, the Great Helm!

Hm doesn't seem to be any way to protect facial features with a helmet. UPSTEP isn't a working tag for helmets.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13