Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread  (Read 16245 times)

chintznibbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2010, 05:14:48 am »

I'm making a stupid mod to add domestic dragons.  I was going to start out making some kind of dog+cat combo (i.e. a trainable verminhunter), but they seem to be somewhat incompatible.  You can buy them trained at the start, but I don't seem to be able to get kennels to work on them.  Then I saw a recent Dragon-Training-centered movie and decided, fuck it, I'm turning them into dragons.  So then I had some unholy combination of dragon, cat, dog and cow, the latter of which I copied for sizes and whatnot.

Then I had the bright idea to make them intelligent, and things got weird.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you want to try it, this goes at the end of Creature_domestic.txt in the raws.  Anyway, I don't know if the limbs are working right.  I figured dragons would have dexterous paws and be able to pick up objects, so I gave them the humanoid limbs bit.  I also copied the scratch attack from other entries, but I'm not 100% certain it works right.  When I try using one in Arena mode, they'll grab with their paws (wrestling?) instead of scratching, but I almost never play Adventurer mode and don't really know how that works in the first place.  I'm also not 100% their claws are assigning right, but oh well.

I was also going to give them flightless wings, but couldn't figure out the right tag category for it.  That said, regular Dragons don't have them either, so... I guess I can tolerate them having implied wings.

I'm also thinking about switching them to a firey-glob style breath instead of the current fan-shaped gas(?)-like fire breath, but haven't really read up on it.

Anyway, with their current setup, they wander around your fort endlessly, often annoyingly going outside and hunting for tiny things to eat.  If they happen to run into a goblin, they will barbecue it, and usually set the entire world on fire in the process.  You can chain them up, of course, and buy war- or hunting-trained ones at embark.  They're like cats, so they'll pick their own owners, usually only a dwarf that likes them.  If you let them be, they'll eventually develop lots of conversation skills.  I've seen them emigrate as migrants' pets, and they'll start with other skills that they can't usually get - I have one in my current fort that's an adequate Appraiser, Shield User and Lasher.  I have no idea if they count towards or against immigrant counts.

Amusingly, you can assign them to positions on the Noble screen, but they drop out immediately after you exit the screen.  However, if you hit 'v' from that screen, you can view their relationships and hidden stats, which seem to be more or less irrelevant.  Oh, and one more thing: since they count as Intelligent, the children can be kidnapped by goblin snatchers; with their map wandering habits, this happens more frequently than it might otherwise.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2010, 06:42:09 am »

Just a note about permitted jobs: if you remove any single job, all the jobs that belong to the same category in the labour menu are unselectable. For instance, removing Cheese Making kills the option for nigh on every farming-related activity.

I'm fairly sure this is a bug, but just a heads up if you plan on fiddling with permitted jobs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2010, 09:14:44 am »

For flightless wings just give them the 2WINGS bodypart.  They won't fly no matter what part they have unless they have the [FLIER] tag. 

And for the claw attack in the attack information replace where it says NAIL at the end of the first line with CLAW.  While nail shows up in the definitions it's only to define that the claws are made of the "NAIL_TEMPLATE" materiel.  The claws are actually a different (but effectively identical bodypart)  They may still wrestle alot though.  Pretty much any creature with a grasp bodypart will randomly choose to wrestle with it instead of bite/claw.  Oddly enough when I added wings to the vanilla dragons they chose to wrestle using them as often as not as well.  But it's been that way last version too.

I also find it amusing imagining the poor milker who has to figure out how to milk a dragon.  But it's your creature. :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:18:04 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2010, 11:43:27 am »

Okay, I've had a partial success in restricting entity positions to certain castes. For some reason, none of [ALLOWED_CREATURE:ENCAR:THRICEBORN], [ALLOWED_CREATURE:THRICEBORN] or [GENDER:THRICEBORN] had worked, but they didn't give errors either. [ALLOWED_CLASS:THRICEBORN] with adding the [CREATURE_CLASS:THRICEBORN] seems to work. I can't quite tell with the MONARCH position, since the clowns keep usurping it, but the general position seems to keep to the appropriate castes. Only, the general should be appointed by the monarch, but generals appear without one. Another test is running whether the order of the tags is important.

Edit - okay, it seems that's a bug. The generals definitely arise without anyone to appoint them.

Edit Edit - Wait, what? Apparently monarchs can abdictate in favor of the clowns?!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:21:44 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2010, 01:56:51 pm »

I think they are a range of values...bell curve I think.  The two extreme values are crazy rare and the most extreme they will ever be.  middle is the norm. and ones right next to the middle are uncommon, but not rare, while the ones past that are rarer.

I can't really think of a better way to explain it.

According to a comment in creature_standard, each range between values has an equal chance of occurring. Since some ranges contain more values, those values will be less likely. This probably goes for everything using the seven-value ranges.

Mod update: Due to the wrestling AI, the Guy Made of Bees's modus operandi is to sting the enemy until it falls unconscious and then strangle it to death. Awesome. Slimes are also pretty much done now.

Tag update: When defining a local creature mat, adding [PREFIX:NONE] will prevent the creature's name from showing up in the description of the material. For example, if you have a "slime" monster that bleeds slime, instead of bleeding slime slime, it'll just bleed slime. This was probably created as a result of the cow cow cheese incident.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2010, 03:10:42 pm »

Doesnt seem to work, any things I can do so it works?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2010, 04:51:59 pm »

Just a note about permitted jobs: if you remove any single job, all the jobs that belong to the same category in the labour menu are unselectable. For instance, removing Cheese Making kills the option for nigh on every farming-related activity.

I'm fairly sure this is a bug, but just a heads up if you plan on fiddling with permitted jobs.

Ah okay so KC 2010 will need to wait till the metagroup thing is fixed.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2010, 05:41:45 pm »

Wait, it works.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2010, 05:49:04 pm »

*deleted*
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:53:43 pm by Phoebus »

chintznibbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2010, 11:48:19 pm »

I also find it amusing imagining the poor milker who has to figure out how to milk a dragon.  But it's your creature. :)
Haha, I forgot that was in there.  I copied it from the cows when I was in the very basic "Let's copy everything to make sure this actually works!" phase.  I think you can't actually milk Intelligent creatures anyway; one of the CAN_X tags cancels it, I believe.  Unless maybe they volunteer?  Who knows.  You can trade for it, though.

I tried the 2WINGS tag and found similar results.  Also, I think it implies Flier, because of the definition in body_default.
Code: [Select]
[BODY:2WINGS]
[BP:RWING:right wing:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][RIGHT][FLIER][CATEGORY:WING]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:500]
[BP:LWING:left wing:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][LEFT][FLIER][CATEGORY:WING]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:500]
I'm not sure if that's a creature-level tag, or what... and they don't have a "relational" location (i.e. the dragon's back), so my assumption is the game treats them as bird wings, ie. arms, and that leads it to try wrestling with them?  Then again, wrapping someone up in a wing-membrane might conceivably immobilize them... though it sounds hard to do.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2010, 12:16:19 am »

Creatures wrestle with any part that has [liMB] on it. If you want the wings to be purely flight/decorative, remove the [liMB] from them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2010, 12:18:57 am »

Well, I know that in a lot of fantasy genres Dragons do use their wings in battle. Some have claw like appendages on them... Or it could be thought of as a Wing Buffet sort of thing. Flapping the wings so that the rush of air disorients them?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2010, 12:34:14 am »

has any one made a bio cat bomb yet?
I wonder if setting venom that would release a on contact and in spray that would infect every one can be used to wipe out civ?
like if I infect kitty with biovirus give it to urist to and urist gets sick and sent to the hospital only to blow up in pus all over every one getting them infected leading to a viral spiral. like catpox or something? other than that I modded in a bronze coll. civ and fought the king to dea... crash of the pc.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:22:28 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2010, 02:26:08 am »

Anyone know how entities work yet? The entity raw file, as far as I can tell, is gone. I'm trying to figure out how to make Ant Men playable.

Edit: Nevermind. DUR. Found entity default. Now to look it over and try to figure out how to make ant civs playable. It seems to be similiar to the old method thus far, but I'm sure I can't just add a civ_controllable token without messing things up. And it seems to be missing many of the leadership/entity definitions. There is also clearly some hardcoded stuff going on, I think, based on in-game actions.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:30:42 am by lastofthelight »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2010, 02:53:10 am »

Yeah best to make Noble positions that have the same function as the Broker, manager,  Mayor and the like...  most especially make some form of healer to take the place of the chief medical dwarf, though if the race has all the professions in the healthcare area you might not actually need a head medic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13