Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread  (Read 16244 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2010, 05:13:03 pm »

Observation: Tissues made of powder appear to sever very, very easily, regardless of material properties.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2010, 06:03:12 pm »

Oh god what have I done. And yes I know I spelt a bunch of shit wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2010, 06:11:09 pm »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2010, 06:26:02 pm »

For those of you who are having trouble connecting to the IRC, just click here to connect with Mibbit.

Right now I'm having issues with using a creature variation to apply appearance-based tags. It seems to only bother applying the new fur / skin / eye colours to the new creature's left eye and and rear right foot's fourth toe.

Hurm.

Might not quite work, but did you try sticking the pluralising tag at the end? ([TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]) I was noticing that happining as well when doing varying wing sizes and horns for my Dracon race.  The size mods were only effecting one wing or horn.  When I added that plural tag at the end it started effecting all the parts with that category.  Not quite sure if that will work, but it might help.

And I have updated my Dracon to be closer to my origonal plan.  Lots of caste usage.   And it seems to work in arena mode.

Spoiler: length (click to show/hide)

It is a little odd though, they don't seem to be bothered by magma at all.  Which is intended for the red caste.  Not so much for the others.   I hear alot about magma acting weird though, so I'm not exactly sure if it's working or not.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2010, 09:04:59 pm »

Nice use of castes. What happens when they crossbreed? I haven't tried the caste modding yet. Are they born as some caste and give birth to any other caste or what?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2010, 09:14:04 pm »

It just randomly picks a caste when one is born.

I did eventually notice a mistake there though.  It seems castes don't overwrite appearance modifiers.  So while they all had only one pair of wings, the blue dracon(who have large wings) had their wing sizes show up twice in the description paragraphs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2010, 09:18:04 pm »

So you just do not put regular stat and put appropriate stat on each caste, right?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »

Yea I just cut the wing appearance stuff from the default info and copied it into each caste entry.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2010, 09:23:31 pm »

Messing around with attributes on a creature,  any tips, also what does each value between the colons represent, here's my current test attribute.

Code: [Select]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:0:250:400:500:600:700:1000]           --

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2010, 09:30:07 pm »

I think they are a range of values...bell curve I think.  The two extreme values are crazy rare and the most extreme they will ever be.  middle is the norm. and ones right next to the middle are uncommon, but not rare, while the ones past that are rarer.

I can't really think of a better way to explain it.

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2010, 09:42:50 pm »

Weapon size is very important for determining the maximum wound that can be inflicted by cutting or piercing. I'll need to do some more experiments to determine how long of a weapon you need to be able to hack up a Bronze Colossus. Also, need to experiment to see if weapon weight is based entirely on its size and material, or if the MATERIAL_SIZE has any effect.

EDIT: For bludgeoning weapons, the mass of the weapon is what's most important. It also helps somewhat if the weapon's impact area is smaller rather than larger, so that the force is more focused. Naturally, it's best to just pick up a giant's corpse or something, if you are able to, and beat things around with it.

EDIT: The problem with a small cutting edge / piercing edge is that it will not cause very much blood loss, disembowelment or mutilation of limbs. So, you have to make a tradeoff between the length of the cutting edge and the chance that you will pierce skin/armor.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:06:35 pm by ssfsx17 »

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:35 pm »

Does anyone know exactly what the [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] tags do?

Also, any idea how to produce a) meat and b) roasts? Currently tinkering around with the raws...

EDIT: Bingo, got the meat down.

I also figured out drinks, figured this might be useful thrown here as well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:00:40 pm by Firnagzen »
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2010, 10:53:49 pm »

Quoting myself into this conversation, because it's relevant to this thread's interests...

My friends, I have done many things in the name of science - nay, SCIENCE! - all under the notion that I was a soldier in the long slogging march of scientific inquiry.  I thought that nothing was sacred, that no tabboo existed without being a temptation to shatter it.

And then I saw things... I did things...  Horrible things, in the name of science....

Test 4:  Total cast moddability test.

I... I have milked a male dwarf.

This proves many things... first, that [INTELLIGENT], which now includes the use of [CAN_SPEAK] as well as other things, IS, against all sanity, caste-moddable.

This means that you can embark with a species that can mate with what effectively amounts to its own livestock.

Male dwarves with the [INTELLIGENT] tag removed were treated as if animals, including having no labors enableable, but allowing you to butcher them, instead, like the way that the (p)rf menu of (v)iew lets you set butcherable for livestock.  Due to a minor bug, they still would have enabled all the labors they would normally start with, like Fisherdwarf if you used the "Play Now!" embark.  So I couldn't enable or disable labors, but they had fishing enabled, anyway, similar to the Dungeon Master's smithing labors.

This also means practically EVERYTHING is caste moddable.  Yay.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2010, 12:54:25 am »

So any idea why professions that are added to creatures.   After a World gen, I still can't seem to get the meta-groups that show all the crafting labors, or any of the farming related labors, like butchery or cooking or the like.   This is when I use V on the units and go to the labors section.

M K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2010, 01:13:24 am »

Anyone figured out how to make custom workshops use colors of the building materials?  Like how using a red stone could color parts of it red.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13