Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread  (Read 16270 times)

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
Re: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:03 pm »

Blizzard Men: Not actually made of ice. So I'm not sure it's possible to make anything out of water. Magma Men, however, are made of magma.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2010, 09:46:05 pm »

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:CAVE_FISH_MAN]
[COPY_TAGS_FROM:FISH_CAVE]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:AQUATIC]
[CV_ADD_TAG:AMPHIBIOUS]
[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]
[GO_TO_TAG:BODY]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:BODY]
[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]
[BODY:HUMANOID:SIDE_FINS:DORSAL_FIN:TAIL:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:RIBCAGE]
[GO_TO_END]
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:cave fish man:cave fish men:cave fish man]
[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:cave fish woman:cave fish women:cave fish woman]
[GO_TO_START]
[NAME:cave fish man:cave fish men:cave fish man]
[DESCRIPTION:A humanoid creature with the head of a blind cave fish.  They live in colonies in watery regions far underground.]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:30:50]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10]
[MAXAGE:60:80]
[CREATURE_TILE:'f']
[COLOR:7:0:1]
[EXTRAVISION]

Interesting piece of code...  So I believe I'll be screwing around with the animal kingdom and see how if a surface world would work...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2010, 09:52:37 pm »

Anyone figure out how to make a creature out of glass (or use glass in the smelter)? It seems to be absent from the material templates and inorganic raws.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2010, 09:53:25 pm »

So I'm trying to create some fascimile of water so that I can have an ice-based breath attack, but the best I can do is a white substance that freezes at room temperature:

EDIT: Oh, right, I can just add water's melting and boiling points. Duh.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:06:38 pm by GregHayes »
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2010, 10:36:01 pm »

Can someone help me out with breath weapons? I'm trying to make creatures which shoot fireballs of varying strength and explosiveness for a DOOM based creature mod. I currently have no idea what I am doing, and have created an Imp, which does not yet have a fire attack.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2010, 10:53:04 pm »

Can someone help me out with breath weapons? I'm trying to make creatures which shoot fireballs of varying strength and explosiveness for a DOOM based creature mod. I currently have no idea what I am doing, and have created an Imp, which does not yet have a fire attack.

You can't alter the "explosiveness" of material breaths. You probably can't alter the "strength," either, depending on what you mean. The standard [FIREBREATH] and [DRAGONFIREBREATH] still work, though.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2010, 11:03:41 pm »

Ah, I meant having them with different temperatures, so that some burn things more when the hit. Explosiveness as in spreading fire around.

Also, it seems that you can't give seperate castes different tiles. :(

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2010, 12:09:11 am »

I think convection still doesn't convect very well in DF, so making something hotter wouldn't necessarily set more things on fire (aside from setting things on fire that have a higher ignite point). Your best bet is probably to stick with the standard firebreaths for now, though I suppose you could have creatures that could either shoot a superhot glob or emit puffs of superhot gas.

As for my own mod, I started porting another creature into DF today. The first time I got the Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer On a Golem into the arena without getting the errorlog mad or without the golem falling over right away, instead of shooting beer at me it shot chunks of eye tissue. Every turn. After a while the entire south half of the arena ring was covered in eyeballs. It was bizarre. Now it's shooting chunks of frozen beer, despite me specifying LIQUID_GLOB, but it's still progress.

LordHavoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2010, 04:56:12 am »

I've successfully created a new reaction to alchemize lead into titanium, as well as the shop where the reaction takes place, and, of course, the product: titanium.

The problem is that the reaction will show up on, and be performed if assigned from, the job manager screen, but that I can not seem to have it performed on the shop's job assignment menu (which is blank).

Does anyone see any obvious problems in my reaction code:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ALCH_TI_PB]
[NAME:alchemize titanium from lead]
[BUILDING:ALCHEMISTS_LAB:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:LEAD]
[REAGENT:B:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:GIANT_OLM:LIVER][UNROTTEN]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:TITANIUM]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

Add:
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:ALCHEMISTS_LAB]
and
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ALCH_TI_PB]

to the entity_default.txt under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] section

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2010, 11:28:08 am »

I'd like to invite people to join us in #dfmodding on irc.newnet.net

It's a lot easier to make progress in understanding this stuff in realtime, and we've already had some rather nice (read: ungodly) success stories.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2010, 12:07:32 pm »

I can't seem to connect to newnet, I keep getting told I can't connect to the server.  esper.net and sorcery.net both work fine.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2010, 12:16:48 pm »

I'd like to invite people to join us in #dfmodding on irc.newnet.net

I tried to go to that irc.newnet.net place, but all I got was a page with "It Works!" in large bolded text after loading for a long time.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2010, 12:29:07 pm »

is there a raw change that can make killing friendly units okay.
or do I need to wait for a utility that grants that right to off nobles.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2010, 01:04:03 pm »

I decided to change the Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer on a Golem's beer-shooting attack to be a trailing vapor flow instead of a liquid glob for now. After I slew it I wandered around the arena ring for awhile and painted the whole thing green. Maybe I'll turn down the nausea severity.

I don't think you can kill your own units yet.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »

For those of you who are having trouble connecting to the IRC, just click here to connect with Mibbit.

Right now I'm having issues with using a creature variation to apply appearance-based tags. It seems to only bother applying the new fur / skin / eye colours to the new creature's left eye and and rear right foot's fourth toe.

Hurm.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13