Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread  (Read 16279 times)

Rimbecano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] 0.31.01 modding experience thread
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2010, 11:44:30 am »

I can take a stab at this, I guess.

I won't be surprised if any of that's wrong, but I'm about 95% sure on the elasicity calculations. I'm guessing they're unitless, although I don't get the division by 10. Probably just for calculation ease or something.

Also I might have made mistakes in regards to the modulussesses.

Thanks

Interestingly, it seems to me that Compressive and Impact Yield and Fracture are always the same (at least for metals), and always 1080000. Probably placeholder values.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:13 pm »

Hey DuncanFrost, I think this bit may be your problem:
Code: [Select]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:>>>LIQUID<<<]Angle brackets mine. What that means is that the blood initially comes out as a liquid, only adjusting to it's proper phase when a temperature calculation is made. Changing LIQUID to GAS works, to an extent. For some reason no one suffers any damage.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »

Also, in regards to material breath attacks, creatures that have it love using them. And for some reason, they always freeze in Arena mode, so you get e.g. polar bears being pelted with venom ice cubes. It's lethal.

And there are only actually two stock creatures with such attacks, as far as I can tell, and they're both in the underground. I'd like to get more detail on this, ideally, but I'm really not sure how the tokens work.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2010, 01:16:23 pm »

After rigorous experimentation and modding I made bronze colossi killable by changing [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:BRONZE] to [TISSUE_MATERIAL:ORGANIC:BRONZE]..
I also removed the entire [NO_EVERYTHING] block in the process but I'm pretty sure the organic bronze was what did it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2010, 01:35:42 pm »

You do know there's no such thing as ORGANIC:BRONZE, right?

All you need to make them killable is some sort of magic crystal brain embedded in their head or chest, the removal/destruction of which will destroy the creature.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2010, 01:55:23 pm »

A basic octoroc.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

An adventurer is easily able to kill these guys and block the sandstone projectiles, true to the original. Stance tentacles are a simple copy of the tentacles with the stance tag. For testing, I created blue ones a bit larger, and with slade globs. Such a blue guy got killed by a giant in the arena (central room, combatants start in opposite ends), but the giant died soon after killing the octoroc.

From some trickery, the material breath tags appear to be
TRAILING_DUST_FLOW
TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW
TRAILING_GAS_FLOW
SOLID_GLOB
LIQUID_GLOB
UNDIRECTED_GAS
UNDIRECTED_VAPOR
UNDIRECTED_DUST
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2010, 02:16:29 pm »

All you need to make them killable is some sort of magic crystal brain embedded in their head or chest, the removal/destruction of which will destroy the creature.
Of course there is such a thing as organic bronze! The whole brain thing doesn't work out very well, I experimented with adding a brain, removing the no thought center control for movement or whatever thing, etc. I still couldn't get anything to bash a colossus's skull in, destroying the brain. All I know is that I magically created organic bronze and I had myself a bronze colossus that could be chopped in half. 

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2010, 02:22:45 pm »

[ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]

Anyone dabbled in this entity stuff?  Can an entity similar to this be placed on the surface?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2010, 02:24:57 pm »

So, upon actually examining this, the issue appears to be the [REPLACED_BY] tag. It appears to simply cause the position to cease to exist altogether under certain circumstances, although I'm not sure what those might be.

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2010, 02:25:32 pm »

[ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]

Anyone dabbled in this entity stuff?  Can an entity similar to this be placed on the surface?

I've been dabbling, but it's difficult to confirm anything.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2010, 02:32:11 pm »

A basic octoroc.

I am adding this to my game now.  Congratulations, I never liked adding other folks' creation into my games.  I usually prefer to make everything myself.  But this is awesome enough to have me ignore that.

I usually don't release my mods, but if I ever do I'll stick a credit in the creature description and as a comment in the raw file.

(Of course, if you don't mind)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:36:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2010, 02:32:50 pm »

Of course there is such a thing as organic bronze! The whole brain thing doesn't work out very well, I experimented with adding a brain, removing the no thought center control for movement or whatever thing, etc. I still couldn't get anything to bash a colossus's skull in, destroying the brain. All I know is that I magically created organic bronze and I had myself a bronze colossus that could be chopped in half. 
But that takes all of the fun out of fighting a colossus. Ever played Shadow of the Colossus? (I haven't, but that's beside the point) Just make the crystal an external part, like a tiara gem. Or a chest gem like the Tony Stark!Iron Man's chest arc.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2010, 02:41:16 pm »

Ok I've been fiddling around learning how to mod the new version as I worked with it for a while.... Though now something does come to mind...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:55:42 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
P.S. No I wasn't talking about you Totaku. Those have been spoiled basically everywhere ages ago.  Besides, this is a modding thread, I would expect a little here.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:05:37 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2010, 02:56:33 pm »

Ok I've been fiddling around learning how to mod the new version as I worked with it for a while.... Though now something does come to mind...

Demons like the [Fire-eating clowns], and [Hugging Clowns] and creatures such as the forgotten beast and titans.

Are they all by any chance now hard coded into the game? Cause I tried to look through the list of creatures in the raws and couldn't find them anything. Or am I just not looking hard enough. ^^;;

I rather save myself the stress from digging for it if it's not in there.

Well, it's possible Toady got serious about it being *SPOILERED*, and made some of them hard-coded.

Alternately, people have been reporting that they find plenty of freaky crap in the new cave systems.  Maybe Toady just scrapped standard, predictable demons, and replaced them with some spaghetti code for making random ones?

On an unrelated note, can anyone tell me how all this [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EAR] or [MANNERISM_NOSE:nose] stuff works?  I'm trying to find out what's caste-level (I'm guessing something like this would be...), but I'm not sure what this stuff does, exactly.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13