Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38

Author Topic: [BUGS] 0.31.01 bugs  (Read 78146 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [BUGS] 0.31.01 bugs
« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2010, 04:23:48 pm »

Normally dwarfs carry their weapon in the left hand and their shield in the right hand.
I just had a dwarf who decided to try it the other way round.

The result was that while all the other dwarfs were doing individual drills, he stayed idle.
Changing weapons didn't help, as he still was wielding them the wrong way.
Same with forbidding, dumping, picking them up again etc.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2010, 04:26:13 pm »

Not technically a bug per se, but what was the rationale behind changing the "I'm done designating things/looking at things so please end that action and unpause the game" button from space to escape, while leaving the "I'd like to unpause the game after having myself paused it" button as space, and leaving the "switch to the quit/save/change volume" button as escape?

This change has me teetering on the edge of tantruming all by itself. can we have that changed back? On top of being a basic change in the way the keyboard commands flow, it's also ergonomically unsound.

I hate it too, but pretty sure you can change it in the keybinding settings.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 03, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »

Normally dwarfs carry their weapon in the left hand and their shield in the right hand.

The result was that while all the other dwarfs were doing individual drills, he stayed idle.

Dwarves can have different handedness.  Some are right-handed, some aren't.  Are you sure that was the cause of his failure to do individual combat drills?  They only do those during their off time if they aren't too lazy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 03, 2010, 04:40:47 pm »

Another bug that may have already been reported:

In a smelter (only tested non-magma so far), all the "make * from *" options have " (a)" after them, and pressing 'a' simply selects the first one (coke from bituminous coal). I assume they are meant to be lettered a,b,c,d,etc
I can confirm this.
Seconded. I thought it just was for cokeing, but apparently it's all smelting jobs?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 03, 2010, 04:46:01 pm »

Not technically a bug per se, but what was the rationale behind changing the "I'm done designating things/looking at things so please end that action and unpause the game" button from space to escape, while leaving the "I'd like to unpause the game after having myself paused it" button as space, and leaving the "switch to the quit/save/change volume" button as escape?

This change has me teetering on the edge of tantruming all by itself. can we have that changed back? On top of being a basic change in the way the keyboard commands flow, it's also ergonomically unsound.

I would guess that it has something to do with the new squad control menu being in real-time (or so I recall from the devlog; haven't tested it yet myself), hence the need for unpausing and exiting the menu to be on different buttons. If memory serves, the plan is for all sub-menus to be realtime-capable, so it'll have wider implications later on.

I agree that Esc isn't exactly the best key for the job, though.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »

Woohoo! I just nearly lost an established fort to an ordinary goblin ambush! I'm finally shaken from the military complacency I've developed from the previous version, I can no longer just toss a half-dozen dwarves into training and then have the resulting champions annihilate anyone that dares come by. I'm a noob again. :)

Anyway, the bug. My population was blown down from ~70 to just five survivors, none of the nobility among them. The noble screen is now completely blank - there aren't even any vacant positions listed. However, when I look at a workshop's order menu it still says a manager is required to set workshop profiles, and jobs queued up in the order list still have red Xes next to them indicating that they're awaiting validation. A big migrant wave came almost immediately (the only reason my fort didn't crumble to its end) but the noble screen hasn't recovered; if it doesn't soon I'm going to probably have to write off this fort.

Edit/update: I just had a mayor elected, at which point the noble list went back to normal. Yay! Never so happy to see nobles!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:18:53 pm by Bryan Derksen »

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »

Specific areas can cause crashes, it pops out a microsoft c++ library window, which is seethrough on the inside, and refuses to go further. Not just from embarking on entire local, as I had previously done that with a similar embark profile on a glacier.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 03, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »

I hate it too, but pretty sure you can change it in the keybinding settings.
You can change it to space and have it work most of the time, but if you're in the job manager screen it'll cancel out instead of putting a space in your order.

It's very irritating -- not only is the Escape key right at the top left corner of my keyboard, but it's half-sized. Maybe I'll try something with the AltGr key, if it'll bind.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2010, 05:08:16 pm »

Why is complaining about the ESC key in the bug thread?

In fact, how is it hard to switch to pressing escape whatsoever?

I don't get it.

And to keep from further spam:
I built a ramp that discovered into the underground cave system from the level above, my two mining dwarves ended up "trapped" down there without a path up, even though there was a perfectly unblocked passage. Furthermore, when I told them to build someone all the resources where -1000000000/99 feet away or something absurd like that.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2010, 05:25:05 pm »

I set my metalcrafter to craft some silver goblets. He dutifully used my silver bars, and now I have 4 gold goblets.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2010, 05:26:09 pm »

Dwarves can have different handedness.  Some are right-handed, some aren't.  Are you sure that was the cause of his failure to do individual combat drills?  They only do those during their off time if they aren't too lazy.

Well I couldn't find any other reason, why he stayed idle all the time.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2010, 06:33:41 pm »

My first crash, when I pressed 's' for the squad screen. I've been using the squad screen plenty of times before, so this is an oddball case. As I recall, I set both my 6-dwarf squads to station outdoors, then ordered one individual recruit to go kill some wildlife. When I pressed 's' after that, it crashed.

Right, time to take an older save and throw everything at the underground before abandoning this first fort.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 03, 2010, 06:33:53 pm »

On a reclaim fortress game, buildings sometimes get suspended due to "Item blocking site."
the offending item is not Forbidden, and attempting to Dump it does nothing. (yes I've got dwarfs with the refuse labor, and have a dump zone.)

This also used to happen in the last version IIRC.

I've often had this problem in the old version, it was there caused by the blocking object being designated for a different job - for example if you designated a wall to be constructed from stones and one of those stones is lying in the space you want to build your workshop, the workshop has to wait until that stone is taken away by whoever builds the wall, even if nobody is currently working on that job.

Could that have been the reason here too?

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2010, 07:13:56 pm »

Didn't see it in the search:

Wave of migrants arrived.  The carpenter arrived with an axe, and dropped it immediately.  HE does not have woodcutting enabled.

EDIT:  It seems he was actually a woodcutter, but had carpentry enabled rather than woodcutting...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:57:56 pm by Salabasama »
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 03, 2010, 07:27:48 pm »

Issue when alt-tabbing out and back in causes the screen size to keep getting bigger and bigger (and thus less and less fitting on the screen) on my Vista laptop.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38