Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38

Author Topic: [BUGS] 0.31.01 bugs  (Read 78266 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [BUGS] 0.31.01 bugs
« Reply #300 on: April 02, 2010, 02:50:20 pm »

If you only work them half to death, you should be working them twice as hard!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 02, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »

Okay, gamebreaking bug:

My miners refuse to mine properly at all. They only act like this underground. If I mine anywhere aboveground, they act normal. Since this is hard to explain in words, this is what happens:

This is the normal area:

Designating a square to be dug out:

Dwarves will dig one tile's worth and then leave for a few minutes. It will say they're idle with no job during that time. Sometimes they'll just stand right next to it:

After a few minutes, they'll come back and dig a little again then all leave at the same time again:

In the end, it takes so long to do something that should take a few seconds.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 02, 2010, 02:54:36 pm »

The system of how personality affects the dwarves could be responsible. Are your miners lazy?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 02, 2010, 02:56:39 pm »

The system of how personality affects the dwarves could be responsible. Are your miners lazy?
No. Besides? There are 8 of them. There's no way they could all act in the exact same time. They will literally all show up at the same time. Dig one tile, then leave.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 02, 2010, 03:00:36 pm »

Yes, that error has been widely reported and is almost certainly due to pathfinding problems.  It's not a problem with personality or labor settings.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 02, 2010, 03:04:26 pm »

Then it's probably related to the pathing engine updating slowly. Happens sometimes. I'll try something like that out later.

edit: ninja'd!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 02, 2010, 03:28:18 pm »

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I used an addy spear, and only shatted the bones, Over and over. I only kill them when they bleed out or I get lucky and hit an organ.

Blooddrive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 02, 2010, 03:28:58 pm »

I want to throw my hat in with the wealth of the caverns issue.

I broke into my caverns pretty early on. But I only had one major room and a trade depot for the majority of the game.

By the time I hit my first spring I had 44 dwarves. Once I hit summer on the second year I was suddenly attacked by 1 megabeast, 2 forgotten creatures and 4 goblin ambushes all in the space of a month. Needless to say I didn't survive this.My wealth indicators seemed to be just way out of whack for what I would have expected with my large room.

sethwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 02, 2010, 03:30:50 pm »

Heh. Well, nobody's going to stop you, but if you make your dwarves work themselves half to death, either cope with tantrums or provide them with a REALLY nice dining room.

That's not the issue. It makes the game unplayable with higher numbers of dwarfs and really annoying with low numbers. If there was a "force work" option you could turn on and off it would be fine, but babysit every single woodcutter, miner, herbalist, and workshop worker with a long queue and turn on and off their labor whenever they need a drink is simply ridiculous. Either they should not get a bad thought from it (as it is their choice to starve themselves) or they should stop before they get a bad thought or there should be an option. Personally I think they should work for longer than before but should also not get so many bad thoughts from it. These a dwarfs damnit, they shouldn't mind being a little thirsty!

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 02, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »

I just found an interesting one.

As is my normal habit, I caged most of the stray animals to keep FPS up (though it seems to be running pretty well right now, knock on tower-cap).  Then an immigrant wave hit so some more tasks needed to be queued up to put the lazy bums to work.  So I go to schedule some farm tasks, and behold there's a "milk creature" task to choose from.  Cool I think, finally something to do with all the extra female animals while we wait for them to have babies.

Schedule milking task, wait a minute to see what gets milked, and Melbil farmerdwarf grabs a donkey and starts dragging her to the workshop.  All well and good, but that donkey is supposed to be caged, so some peasant comes along with a "cage animal" job.  They've been fighting over this donkey for something like 10 minutes.    ::) ;D

Bug, or feature?  I'm thinking bug, the "object" is in use by another job and so a struggle like this shouldn't be possible, right?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 02, 2010, 03:58:16 pm »

Heh. Well, nobody's going to stop you, but if you make your dwarves work themselves half to death, either cope with tantrums or provide them with a REALLY nice dining room.

That's not the issue. It makes the game unplayable with higher numbers of dwarfs and really annoying with low numbers. If there was a "force work" option you could turn on and off it would be fine, but babysit every single woodcutter, miner, herbalist, and workshop worker with a long queue and turn on and off their labor whenever they need a drink is simply ridiculous. Either they should not get a bad thought from it (as it is their choice to starve themselves) or they should stop before they get a bad thought or there should be an option. Personally I think they should work for longer than before but should also not get so many bad thoughts from it. These a dwarfs damnit, they shouldn't mind being a little thirsty!

It's a bug that they get thirst/hunger thoughts from voluntarily working late, yeah.  There's pretty much no way to avoid it unless you go around manually canceling jobs.  Sean -- I'm sure you were just joking but let's try to keep the thread on topic, since it's a thread that Toady will have to read carefully and he's already swamped with reports.

Kode527

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 02, 2010, 04:01:46 pm »

Allright.
I kept wondering why were my dwarves hungry all the time. I still had some fish they could eat. After realizing to "zoom" to the item from stock I saw this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 02, 2010, 04:02:45 pm »

Well it started out by encountering some wolfs. In one of the first few turns I dodge into a pond. I fight a little bit and then either the other wolfs jumped in or I was attacking them while they stood around the pond. I was drowning and fighting the wolfs when all of a sudden I get this message:
"You stab the wolf in the upper body with your bronze short sword, but the attack passes right through!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 02, 2010, 04:05:51 pm »

Well it started out by encountering some wolfs. In one of the first few turns I dodge into a pond. I fight a little bit and then either the other wolfs jumped in or I was attacking them while they stood around the pond. I was drowning and fighting the wolfs when all of a sudden I get this message:
"You stab the wolf in the upper body with your bronze short sword, but the attack passes right through!"

This is sorta intended behavior -- there's a small chance that you can hit a creature in a wound you already gave them.  It's pretty iffy right now, though.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 02, 2010, 04:26:25 pm »

Had an artifact. The dwarf went to a crafter workshop, asked for bone, and gave me an iron figurine with bone bands. There wasn't any iron in the workshop before, and he leveled in Bone Carving.
Spoiler: Artifact Text (click to show/hide)

Can't help but wonder if the dead dwarf's soul now inhabits the figurine.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:37:26 pm by Haven »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38