Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone tried a graphics/tile set with the new version?  (Read 3270 times)

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried a graphics/tile set with the new version?
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:19:31 am »

*Edit* several sets for DF2010 have been uploaded here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51961.0

Old post:

I'm a bit scared of the technical jiggery pokery required with installing a graphics set in the new version, i presume it wouldn't be the same as before, could anyone tell me the ways in which it's different?

In other news, I haven't actually played yet because my world has been generating for 45 minutes :(
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:53:12 am by HexagonalBolts »

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried a graphics/tile set with the new version?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:20:57 am »

I'm a bit scared of the technical jiggery pokery required with installing a graphics set in the new version, i presume it wouldn't be the same as before, could anyone tell me the ways in which it's different?

In other news, I haven't actually played yet because my world has been generating for 45 minutes :(
Normal graphics sets work, I'm using my own right now.
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:41:53 am »

I tried installing Rantingrodent's but when I attempted to start the game the message 'missing definition: bird_buzzard' came up - or something like that, and it refused to let me play

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:38:31 am »

I tried installing Rantingrodent's but when I attempted to start the game the message 'missing definition: bird_buzzard' came up - or something like that, and it refused to let me play

Yeah, Rodent's graphics set won't work because it changes the raws to set up the tiles. However, I am just using the tileset (the picture that goes in the art folder and is then selected in the init) and looking at the letters representing creatures for the time being. It doesn't look very good, but it's guarenteed to be free of any serious (non-aesthetic) bugs.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:21 am »

I can't seem to get my PNG tileset working. When the game loads all I get is a black screen.  Music and everything plays like the game is actually running but I have to use task manager to force it to close.  This sucks. >:(

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:31:36 am »

I've managed to get RantingRodent's set working, to some degree, I think...

Here is an upload of DF2010 with RantingRodent's (old) graphics set:

http://rapidshare.com/files/370767508/DF2010_with_OldRantingRodent.rar

(I haven't had any time to really test it yet though)

I've made a thread in the modifications subforum for people to post their graphic tilesets that work with the new version

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:50:42 am »

.png tilesets give you a blank screen. Convert them to .bmp and it loads just fine.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Bruwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:16:52 pm »

I can't seem to get my PNG tileset working. When the game loads all I get is a black screen.  Music and everything plays like the game is actually running but I have to use task manager to force it to close.  This sucks. >:(

PNG support is in the D# opengl stuff that hasn't been merged with the main game yet, so all pngs have to be converted to bmp atm.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 04:23:45 pm »

PNG support is in the D# opengl stuff that hasn't been merged with the main game yet, so all pngs have to be converted to bmp atm.

I thought he already did the D# merge.  At least that's what was planned.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 04:26:40 pm »

I thought he already did the D# merge.  At least that's what was planned.

It was, but it was then put off until after the Windows release. When it is merged, then it'll be back.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 04:53:09 pm »

Luckily the D# merge is pretty high priority so it shouldn't take too long.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »

.png tilesets give you a blank screen. Convert them to .bmp and it loads just fine.

That must be why my attempt at changing to Mayday graphics didn't work.

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:47 pm »

That must be why my attempt at changing to Mayday graphics didn't work.

The wiki has a link on the front page to a download of DF2010 with Mayday already installed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 05:53:19 pm »

Now you tell me, heh.

Can someome tell Mayday that some letters are missing even when following the instructions to fix them?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:07:54 pm by smjjames »

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 06:55:46 pm »

Now you tell me, heh.

Can someome tell Mayday that some letters are missing even when following the instructions to fix them?

I imagine he is working on it now, RantingRodent is anyway. Once we have one tile set it will be very easy to make new ones.
Pages: [1] 2