Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56444 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #510 on: April 08, 2010, 07:52:55 pm »

*Anyone have meat or organs show up in the kitchen screen? I still can't get my cook to use them.

Prepared organs are edible as they are.  They'll be cookable in 31.02

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 08, 2010, 09:34:19 pm »

Well, I finally dug too greedily and too deep.

R.I.P. Squirtedace

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 09, 2010, 12:52:15 am »

My map is completely soaked in blood after my hunter expended like 100-150 bolts firing at a herd of elephants.  (He went back for more ammo two or three times)  All of them are wounded and running around bleeding, the hunter's desperately chasing them around to finish them off.  They never seem to bleed out, though. 

He also wounded a few goats and some warthogs, I had to dispatch the military to finish them off (yay new kill command) because they started attacking the fortress.

I can't imagine what it must look like for the dwarves, my carefully crafted highway absolutely red, trails of blood crisscrossing the forest, and on the brook (it has that weird top layer thing).  It looks like I'm suddenly playing on red sand.

Man wounding is a little crazy right now, huh?  Can hardly kill anything.

EDIT: Also my well is covered in elephant and warthog blood, despite being deep inside my fortress.  ... Are the dwarves actually washing it off?  Woo!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:58:53 am by Nobu »

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 09, 2010, 01:01:47 am »

oh god. they come from the water. THEY COME.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 09, 2010, 05:45:30 am »

Dwarfs won't go get a drink 'till they're either really thirsty or get the job done. It's a bug. They also get unhappy thoughts from this.

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug but a fix to previous problems that created it's own.  People were getting annoyed that dwarves were constantly canceling jobs to eat or drink.  Now they keep working until they're about to keel over.  Ideally we would want them to finish their current task, go get a drink then move on to the next task instead of canceling their current task or doing all of their queued tasks.

I'd rather have my dwarves cancel tasks for a while to go eat/sleep/drink than continuously have them gain bad thoughts from lack of food, sleep and drink - or worse; have them die as a result of said lack.
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 09, 2010, 07:17:57 am »

Tantrum spirals are much easier now, with this new "oh god I want to eat, oh god I need to work first, oh god I didn't eat I'm sad now" feature.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 09, 2010, 08:10:18 am »

Tantrum spirals are much easier now, with this new "oh god I want to eat, oh god I need to work first, oh god I didn't eat I'm sad now" feature.

I don't know about that.  I've only had one dwarf reach Critical Insanity, and he was in the military (so bad thoughts about being drafted, undrafted, long patrol, and hunger, thirst, and sleeping on stone).

blinking icons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 09, 2010, 08:48:30 am »

Now thats funny - I have killed a cave croc and a giant bat down in the caverns and some time later I come across this surface pool covered in blood of those 2 beasts - I bet the dwarves went up there to clean themselves. This would also explain why some complain about a lack of a well despite plenty booze and no wounded. Cool new feature!
The Thresher looks sick!
The Thresher looks even more sick!
The Thresher vomits.

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 09, 2010, 10:01:15 am »

I miss the underground rivers and lakes from the previous version. I also miss the magma pipes and chasms not having the same layout of every z level. Ah well, it is a massive improvement in other ways but I still miss those features.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 09, 2010, 06:30:29 pm »

We effectively still have underground lakes and I bet those other two show up again when Toady gets some time to fiddle with the underground kajigger.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 09, 2010, 07:45:01 pm »

We effectively still have underground lakes and I bet those other two show up again when Toady gets some time to fiddle with the underground kajigger.

And chasms.  Better, more awesome chasms.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 09, 2010, 08:06:49 pm »

So, erm, anybody else notice we can't change the init files to show things before embark again? Or can we and I just don't know how.

I want my magma pipes!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 09, 2010, 09:30:55 pm »

Waitwhat-
Reading back on page one, with the version I'm using now, there's supposed to be 150 z-levels? Because I have about 20 and then there's about 9 of HFS. And then nothing accessible. I lost 5 dwarves making sure. Sadness..

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 09, 2010, 10:38:59 pm »

Waitwhat-
Reading back on page one, with the version I'm using now, there's supposed to be 150 z-levels? Because I have about 20 and then there's about 9 of HFS. And then nothing accessible. I lost 5 dwarves making sure. Sadness..

What size world are you generating?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 09, 2010, 11:26:54 pm »

So, erm, anybody else notice we can't change the init files to show things before embark again? Or can we and I just don't know how.

I want my magma pipes!

Waitwhat-
9 levels of HFS? As in, you found the glowing pits? That's strange... the ones I found only had 2-3 levels. Are you sure you didn't just hit an underground cavern? Those are usually quite a bit bigger.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36