Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56455 times)

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #480 on: April 06, 2010, 10:07:17 am »

Quickly put them into quarantine! (read: the magma showers)
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 06, 2010, 11:26:39 am »

How many dwarves does it take to kill a Rutherer in the workshop area? Apparently more than 30 - they've been chasing the stupid thing in circles for two seasons and it's killed 10 of them and ripped the hands or arms off of a few more. Luckily I've got a hopsital set up, but I'm going to have a lot of crippled dwarves.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:33 am »

Yeah, kill orders tend to turn into a game of "follow the leader" as your dwarves chase the creature around, hit it a couple times, and it gets up and runs off and rapidly heals. Something that's pale from extreme blood loss should not move as fast as my uninjured soldiers.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 06, 2010, 12:22:22 pm »

My kill orders don't even get that far anymore. I gave my dwarves an order to drop a naked mole dog into my death-machine, but they decided to go release one in my animal stockpile instead. I immediately gave 20 dwarves in 3 squads a kill order. Now 20 minutes later, they are still standing around in the barracks. About half of them are still trying to train, while the other half have the kill action but are just standing around waiting for something. The naked mole dog is still running around in my stockpiles, terrorizing any dwarves who attempt to pick up or drop off anything.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 06, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »

My kill orders don't even get that far anymore. I gave my dwarves an order to drop a naked mole dog into my death-machine, but they decided to go release one in my animal stockpile instead. I immediately gave 20 dwarves in 3 squads a kill order. Now 20 minutes later, they are still standing around in the barracks. About half of them are still trying to train, while the other half have the kill action but are just standing around waiting for something. The naked mole dog is still running around in my stockpiles, terrorizing any dwarves who attempt to pick up or drop off anything.

I think it has something to do with how the kill orders are coded: from my experience its only followed through if the unit can see the target.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 07, 2010, 11:53:16 am »

id like to play some comody chace music during kill orders. i dont find it so bad unless its something like a goblin thief that disappears from view. They can take ages to catch
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 07, 2010, 12:38:24 pm »

i dont find it so bad unless its something like a goblin thief that disappears from view. They can take ages to catch

I had a goblin master thief end one of my forts.

He cut me up so bad I wish he'd not cut me up so bad.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 07, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »

I'm confused about something, now that I finally got my first squad of 10 dwarves to train in the barracks and wear the uniform I gave them, they still don't show up as sword/axe/speardwarves on the status screen. Some are pretty skilled on their respective weapon skills, but still just show up as whatever they were before I drafted them. Am I doing something wrong?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 07, 2010, 01:11:05 pm »

I'm confused about something, now that I finally got my first squad of 10 dwarves to train in the barracks and wear the uniform I gave them, they still don't show up as sword/axe/speardwarves on the status screen. Some are pretty skilled on their respective weapon skills, but still just show up as whatever they were before I drafted them. Am I doing something wrong?

They are, for some reason, not recognizing that they've been recruited.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 07, 2010, 01:18:38 pm »

Maybe squads only count as active now when they're doing something other then train? Dunno.

Now that I got most important parts of the fort, industry and a squad ready, I think its time to start digging down and exploring. I'm going to need another migrant wave to create the fortress guard squad so they can take care of sieges while the military explores the underground. Need to mine moar coal and smelt more iron/pig iron to make steel to get them equipped, hopefully before the gobbos arrive.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 07, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »

I still haven't found out how to assign kill orders

what button is it?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #491 on: April 07, 2010, 01:53:16 pm »

what button is it?

schedule, choose a squad (probably a), choose kill and select the target.  It actually works really well once you find it.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 07, 2010, 01:54:45 pm »

Maybe squads only count as active now when they're doing something other then train? Dunno.

Now that I got most important parts of the fort, industry and a squad ready, I think its time to start digging down and exploring. I'm going to need another migrant wave to create the fortress guard squad so they can take care of sieges while the military explores the underground. Need to mine moar coal and smelt more iron/pig iron to make steel to get them equipped, hopefully before the gobbos arrive.

Go the the (m)ilitary screen, and go to the alerts menu, scroll to active then select you squad, they should, as far as i have experienced become their respective military types. Hope that helps.

Also to asign your squad a kill order you hit (s)tation select the squad(SHould be a if you have only 1) then hit (k)ill then select a creature.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 07, 2010, 02:39:11 pm »

what button is it?

schedule, choose a squad (probably a), choose kill and select the target.  It actually works really well once you find it.

Just remeber: you're SAK'ing them! :D

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 07, 2010, 02:53:34 pm »

....fighting characters will leap into Lava to chase down the Kobold they just smacked into the Lava.
I have a Lava moat.

It leads to some interesting fights to say the least 0_o
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36